PDA

View Full Version : Is Mitchelle Bachmann a crappy rendition of Buchanan?

Agorism
07-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Anyone else think she's a poor man's Pat Buchanan in this race?

She's the culture woman like Pat Buchanan only she's more a of a reactionary than Pat, more thoughtless group- think foreign policy than Pat, and without any interest in policy other than party line.

sailingaway
07-05-2011, 08:01 PM
I see very little similarity, but I'm not that up on Buchanan. My understanding is that he is for a more humble and America first foreign policy, which would make him not like Bachmann. Buchanan also seems more intellectual in his approach, Bachmann seems to sling red meat for the emotional impact, more, rather then speak of policy issues at any length.

I wouldn't want to call her a 'crappy version' of anyone anyhow. With voting for the Patriot Act, etc, she won't have my vote, but there is overlap between her and Ron's supporters', and I'd rather attack her policies than her.

Sola_Fide
07-05-2011, 08:02 PM
I don't know. I tend to agree with Pat on most things except protectionism.

Bachmann is off-the-deep-end-establishment. She's like if Lindsey Graham started talking tea party lingo.

Agorism
07-05-2011, 08:07 PM
Buchanan also seems more intellectual in his approach, Bachmann seems to sling red meat for the emotional impact, more, rather then speak of policy issues at any length.

Ya that's what I was going for. She's another culture warrior only without any well thought out views. She reacts to stuff with red meat rather than substance.

Kind of not much of the good but most of the bad.

BarryDonegan
07-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Pat Buchanan is one of the best rhetoricians of all time.

COpatriot
07-05-2011, 09:16 PM
More like Michele Bachmann is a crappy rendition of Michele Bachmann.

PaulConventionWV
07-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Ya that's what I was going for. She's another culture warrior only without any well thought out views. She reacts to stuff with red meat rather than substance.

Kind of not much of the good but most of the bad.

If you are looking at her on a superficial level, maybe, but if you are actually taking reality into account, then they are nothing alike. Pat Buchanan recognizes the need to fight against the NWO, and that alone opens up a whole plethora of differences once you take into account the fact that she is totally for the establishment, whereas Buchanan was not. I'm not really up on Buchanan either, but that's about as much as I know, and I don't really see where the comparison is even coming from.

White Bear Lake
07-05-2011, 10:59 PM
No, not really.

Palin is actually slightly more in line with Buchanan than Bachmann. She actually got her start in politics heading Buchanan's Alaska campaign in the 92 (and 96?) primaries.

I don't really see where the comparison is even coming from.

Bachmann's pretty similar to Buchanan in her political style and the way she presents herself. I've read a few pundits make the comparison now. Superficially they're similar in that they're bomb-throwers running an "outsider" campaign against the GOP establishment. People who don't look as deeply into candidates as we do could easily think they're similar. Policy wise she's unfortunately very different though.

cindy25
07-05-2011, 11:53 PM
Bachmann is better compared to Pat Robertson. Buchanan is not a front man for Israel, and knows his history.

sparebulb
07-06-2011, 12:16 AM
Bachmann is better compared to Pat Robertson. Buchanan is not a front man for Israel, and knows his history.

+1

Echoes
07-06-2011, 12:41 AM
Weak comparison, particularly on foreign policy.

Buchanan is alright. He turns me off, though, when he panders to the liberals on MSNBC.

RM918
07-06-2011, 12:49 AM
Seems more like the poor man's Palin to me.

anaconda
07-06-2011, 12:55 AM
They couldn't be further apart. Buchanan would not have voted for the patriot act nor bowed to Israel. Nor voted for the Food Safety Act.

anaconda
07-06-2011, 01:00 AM

Pat Robertson did business with Charles Taylor.

Southron
07-06-2011, 04:39 AM
Jack Hunter is the closest to Buchanan. He would make an excellent Senator IMO.