PDA

View Full Version : Utah Rep. Jason Chaffetz endorses Romney over former boss Huntsman in 2012 race

RonPaulFanInGA
07-05-2011, 02:00 PM
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-chaffetz-romney-endorse-20110705,0,7480449.story

pacelli
07-05-2011, 02:02 PM
wonder if some money changed hands when Romney went to england.

TCE
07-05-2011, 02:12 PM
-1 for Chaffetz. Not a good year for him in my book, but the Republicans are in power again...

Chieppa1
07-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Really? He's like Freedom Watch regular. Thought we had a decent dude there.

AZKing
07-05-2011, 02:21 PM
I'm guessing this has a lot more to do with him being Mormon than anything else.

Sola_Fide
07-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Here we go again folks....

Feeding the Abscess
07-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Here we go again folks....

More like "here we go again, tons of us fell for the old, repeated Republican trick of using libertarian rhetoric when they aren't in power, and when push comes to shove, their true colors show".

It's why I don't foster ill will toward those who wish to work outside of the GOP. Snakes and liars, the whole lot of them. I can only hope Bachmann gets the nomination, just to show everyone how fraudulent the GOP actually is - nominating a complete opportunist to lead the party in a national election.

Cowlesy
07-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Still like Chaffetz, but very disappointed in this endorsement.

Sola_Fide
07-05-2011, 02:42 PM
More like "here we go again, tons of us fell for the old, repeated Republican trick of using libertarian rhetoric when they aren't in power, and when push comes to shove, their true colors show".

It's why I don't foster ill will toward those who wish to work outside of the GOP. Snakes and liars, the whole lot of them. I can only hope Bachmann gets the nomination, just to show everyone how fraudulent the GOP actually is - nominating a complete opportunist to lead the party in a national election.

Yeah, I agree.

speciallyblend
07-05-2011, 02:57 PM
the gop needs to become a 3rd party!

pauladin
07-05-2011, 02:58 PM
i predict mike lee will endorse romney too.

Sola_Fide
07-05-2011, 03:03 PM
i predict mike lee will endorse romney too.

Probably.

emazur
07-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Really? He's like Freedom Watch regular. Thought we had a decent dude there.

The Judge has waaay too many establishment guests who are regulars on his show (can we fucking get rid of Charlie Rangel already?!?) and all too often he promotes the Republican as a "champion of free markets and sound money". I'm not saying he's sold out - it's pretty obvious he doesn't have full editorial control of the show - but there's much room for improvement. It is possible to have mainly "fringe" libertarian guests while reporting on things that appeal to a wider audience. Remember when we had that thread about guest recommendations back when Freedom Watch went daily?

libertybrewcity
07-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Damnnn...i wonder why

johnrocks
07-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Still like Chaffetz, but very disappointed in this endorsement.

My sentiment as well.

RileyE104
07-05-2011, 05:19 PM
All of the little respect I had for Chaffetz is gone now.

Hopefully Mike Lee doesn't go the same route.

amy31416
07-05-2011, 05:35 PM
I'm guessing this has a lot more to do with him being Mormon than anything else.

Huntsman is Mormon too, and Chaffetz worked for him. It has to do with who is "more likely to win" against Obama.

puppetmaster
07-05-2011, 05:35 PM

Most likely

TheTyke
07-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Epic fail Chaffetz...:mad:

FSP-Rebel
07-05-2011, 07:22 PM
My guess is that Chaffetz wants Romney to stump for him when he runs for Senate. He needs a fellow prominent Mormon to help him take down incumbent Hatch who is also a Mormon.

Zatch
07-05-2011, 07:22 PM
http://www.seemslegit.com/_images/93d6445fb05ad46af6ee1db07cd113da/1293%25252520-%25252520double%25252520facepalm%25252520fail%2525 2520star_trek.jpg

07-05-2011, 08:37 PM
This is not worth being upset over; this is politics. Chaffetz is much closer to RP than to Romney. Plain and simple, this is politics!

He is running for Senate against Orren Hatch... and he is going to need the help of some of the Utah establishment. Clearly, he feels as though Huntsman is not the fellow they are going for, that it will be Romney they get behind. This is a political move to get their support so that he can win the primary and be vaulted into the Senate. THAT WOULD BE GOOD FOR LIBERTY. For him to endorse Ron Paul would instantly marginalize him with many of the Utah GOP insiders he will need to win the primary in Utah's excruciatingly closed primary process.

So I am not so upset about this as you all are.

Remember when Ron Paul endorsed Hensarling over Bachmann for leadership so that he could get the monetary policy chairmanship? Politics. We need to remember that this is politics.

HOLLYWOOD
07-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Still like Chaffetz, but very disappointed in this endorsement. We all know why... we can all look forward to 2012. 2012 for Chaffetz as the the man, backed by the NEOCON/FASCIST wings of the co-opted Tea Party, takes out Utah's own Dinosaur Alley's Orrin Hatch.

Chaffetz cut a deal with Romney for the Utah US Senate seat... Dick Army, TP Express, RM&R, etc, will market and sell him to the unsuspecting public. It's a done deal.

AZKing
07-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Huntsman is Mormon too

Exactly, his top choices were both Mormon. I don't think it's a coincidence.

I would not be surprised at all to see Mike Lee endorse Huntsman or Romney, most likely the latter. The common theme in Utah is to vote or endorse the Mormon candidate.

TCE
07-05-2011, 10:15 PM
This is not worth being upset over; this is politics. Chaffetz is much closer to RP than to Romney. Plain and simple, this is politics!

He is running for Senate against Orren Hatch... and he is going to need the help of some of the Utah establishment. Clearly, he feels as though Huntsman is not the fellow they are going for, that it will be Romney they get behind. This is a political move to get their support so that he can win the primary and be vaulted into the Senate. THAT WOULD BE GOOD FOR LIBERTY. For him to endorse Ron Paul would instantly marginalize him with many of the Utah GOP insiders he will need to win the primary in Utah's excruciatingly closed primary process.

So I am not so upset about this as you all are.

Remember when Ron Paul endorsed Hensarling over Bachmann for leadership so that he could get the monetary policy chairmanship? Politics. We need to remember that this is politics.

You are correct, but from my perspective, it's still disappointing. Keep this in mind down the road if he decides to NOT challenge Orrin Hatch, in which case it is clear where his loyalties lie. This, along with a couple of notable votes from him, have caused me to greatly lose respect for him. I expect that when the JBS comes out with their freedom rankings, his will be markedly lower than it has been in past years.

puppetmaster
07-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Just shows no ethics

Kotin
07-05-2011, 11:10 PM
You are correct, but from my perspective, it's still disappointing. Keep this in mind down the road if he decides to NOT challenge Orrin Hatch, in which case it is clear where his loyalties lie. This, along with a couple of notable votes from him, have caused me to greatly lose respect for him. I expect that when the JBS comes out with their freedom rankings, his will be markedly lower than it has been in past years.

Pretty much this ^

cindy25
07-05-2011, 11:55 PM
the Mormon church is clearly backing Romney; Huntsman might be their choice later in 2016 or 2020

sparebulb
07-06-2011, 12:11 AM
the Mormon church is clearly backing Romney; Huntsman might be their choice later in 2016 or 2020

Don't forget, the Mormon Church is backing their other man, Harry Reid, as well. They are very good at getting a horse in every race.........Correction:........They are very good at holding a horse race with every horse being one of theirs.

I am not Mormon-bashing. It is a fact that they work very, very collectively.

Romulus
07-06-2011, 10:02 AM

And where has 'politics' gotten us? NO where. This is a huge fail for him. And is something Dr Paul would NEVER had done early on in his life. I do not support Chaffetz at all - epic fail.

Koz
07-06-2011, 12:01 PM
My last thread of respect for Chaffetz is now gone.

Liberty_Mike
07-06-2011, 01:00 PM
My guess is that Chaffetz wants Romney to stump for him when he runs for Senate. He needs a fellow prominent Mormon to help him take down incumbent Hatch who is also a Mormon.

Interesting. This is the best theory I've seen yet as to why Chaffetz was so quick on endorsing Romney. Makes a lot of sense.

brushfire
07-06-2011, 01:11 PM
I've watched Chaffetz in action. He was fantastic in the hearing over the ATF gun smuggling (gun runner).

This is a real bummer... WTF Chaffetz?

07-06-2011, 01:39 PM
And where has 'politics' gotten us?

Rand much?

Romulus
07-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Rand much?

Yes, all the time. :)

If Rand endorses Romney I'd say the same thing though.

The whole party over politics logic ultimately fails no matter how one tries to justify it.

Do you eat the bruised part of an apple? No, you cut it off.

newyearsrevolution08
07-06-2011, 03:08 PM
this needs to be in the mittens section