PDA

View Full Version : Divided we fail ... AARP???

austinphish
10-31-2007, 02:02 AM
anyone see those divided we fail commercials with kids asking for socialized health care but is sponsored by the AARP? Well I like the republocrat elephonky symbol they use, but isn't there something seriously wrong with this campaing?

http://www.aarp.org/issues/dividedwefail/about_issues/our_platform.html

noxagol
10-31-2007, 03:38 AM
Yes, yes there is.

angelatc
10-31-2007, 06:28 AM
They pretty much single handedly crushed President Bush's plans to reform Social Security. They will be a tough adversary.

Like any special interest group, they do not care what is best for the country. They are only concerned with what serves them the best, no matter the cost to their children and grandchildren.

werdd
10-31-2007, 08:09 AM
'Ill vote for the guy who controlls my life, and puts a camera in my bedroom"

nullvalu
10-31-2007, 08:24 AM
I've been bitching about those commercials to anyone who will listen, it makes me sick. Like, as if, the only reason we don't have "universal healthcare" is because of partisan politics.. Give me a freaking break, AARP - it's because a lot of people don't want it!

angelatc
10-31-2007, 09:11 AM
I've been bitching about those commercials to anyone who will listen, it makes me sick. Like, as if, the only reason we don't have "universal healthcare" is because of partisan politics.. Give me a freaking break, AARP - it's because a lot of people don't want it!

That's about the only reason we do not have it. Even the Republicans are pushing their own plans.

angelatc
10-31-2007, 09:14 AM
Would it be wrong to volunteer and undermine them from within?

noxagol
10-31-2007, 11:49 AM
Would it be wrong to volunteer and undermine them from within?

No. Take the fredthompsonforums.com approach.

beerista
10-31-2007, 12:33 PM
Those commercials were enlightening. I hadn't realized that communism was such an important voting criteria among 9 year-olds. I'd be comforted that they can't vote, but most people who can don't seem any wiser. Heck, these kids have eight or nine more years of schooling before voting age to deaden their little minds even further. It's really disheartening that tripe like this is disseminated (and presumably believed) by our seniors who should by rights be the wisest among us. Sad thing is, they may well be.

The link in the OP links to the following misguided, self-defeating platform statement. If this is what they are admitting they want, I find it hard to believe that they are even concerned with what serves them best. This thing is a disaster. I started to fisk it, but then realized it pretty much fisks itself. I'll post it anyway, for anyone who doesn't want to link away. Enjoy.

The Divided We Fail Platform

We believe that the opportunity to have access to health care and long-term financial security is a basic need that all Americans share. We believe it is the foundation for future generations.

We believe all Americans should have access to affordable, quality health care.

We believe...
All Americans should have access to affordable health care, including prescription drugs, and these costs should not burden future generations.
We believe...
Wellness and prevention efforts, including changes in personal behavior such as diet and exercise, should be top national priorities.
We believe...
Americans should have choices when it comes to long-term care - allowing them to maintain their independence at home or in their communities with expanded and affordable financing options.

We believe all Americans should have peace of mind about their future long-term financial security.

We believe...
Our children and grandchildren should have an adequate quality of life when they retire. Social Security must be strengthened without burdening future generations.
We believe...
Workers should be provided with financial incentives to save, should have access to effective retirement plans, and should be able to keep working and contributing to society regardless of age.
We believe...
Americans of all ages should have access to tools to help manage their finances, and save for the future and better, easy to understand information to help them increase their financial literacy and manage their money wisely.

We stand as strong champions for the new American dream -- to build a 21st century America where these issues are paramount so that all people can have the opportunity for a prosperous future. We also believe that individuals, businesses, health care providers, non-profit organizations, and government must work together to find solutions - personally, privately and publicly. We represent tens of millions of Americans and we believe that all of us share a responsibility for making our society work and restoring peace of mind to all Americans.

This is our platform for positive change and our commitment to current and future generations.

Divided We Fail, but together we can do anything.

jmdrake
10-31-2007, 04:23 PM
They pretty much single handedly crushed President Bush's plans to reform Social Security. They will be a tough adversary.

Like any special interest group, they do not care what is best for the country. They are only concerned with what serves them the best, no matter the cost to their children and grandchildren.

And crushing Bush's "reform" of Social Security was bad because.....? I recall Dr. Paul saying that those plans were a bad idea.

Anyway, I'm not mad at the AARP for advocating for their own best interest. That's democracy in action. Often times some of the WORST policies created are ones that were supposedly done "for the good of the country". Look at all of the "global warming" hysteria for instance. And I'm sure some seniors think that "universal healthcare" is for their children and grandchildren. After all most of them already qualify for some type of government health care assistance. (Medicare, VA benefits etc.) And the whole SCHIP increase was clearly aimed at children, not seniors. The key is to convince people that things that might sound like a good idea aren't necessarily good ideas especially if you take fiscal responsibility into account.

Regards,

John M. Drake