PDA

View Full Version : Hoarders

idirtify
07-04-2011, 11:20 PM
A&E has a show called “Hoarders” and often depicts horrid living conditions of people who are getting ready to be evicted and/or their property condemned. Sometimes they are renters, but mostly it’s their own property that gets “raided” by local authorities (“adult protective services” for example) who haul off their stuff without their consent. Even though many of the living situations are beyond disgusting (don’t be eating while you watch), this show brings up obvious issues regarding property rights. I don’t know what kinds of agreements were signed prior to the raids, but I was wondering what other viewers thought about these two clashing trends: hoarding and the nanny state. Watching this show presents a dilemma for this student of individual liberty, especially when there’s overt child neglect/endangerment involved.

amy31416
07-04-2011, 11:28 PM
I don't even want to get in to the child endangerment (and adult endangerment, for that matter) aspect, but there are so many examples of how their lifestyle effects their neighbors that the argument can easily be made that they negatively impact their neighbors. One guy hoarded rats. He had over 2k in his house, and I can't imagine the stench that must have emanated, along with all the non-libertarian rats who migrated on to the neighbor's property.

So, on one hand, I feel sorry for a lot of these folks, but on the other--if they live in close quarters with other people, they have a responsibility to not practice behaviors that harm them.

thehungarian
07-04-2011, 11:44 PM
I have an obvious disgust for the people depicted in this show. I do not like the fact that they threaten to evict and de-home the people, but in the shows I have seen the government has not been involved, which is how it should be. Yes, they usually threaten Child Protection Services and such, but they are usually not involved - it is usually counselors and addict preventionists/reformists, which is also the way it should be. I do not like how the State is used as a threatening tool, and I have no doubt they would kick these people out of their homes, but I have yet to see it.

Now to be frank, I want to punch every single person on the show. I hate the people and they are incredibly weak, emotionally. They need obvious therapy and do not belong in jail.

Working Poor
07-05-2011, 05:11 AM
I am a personal assistant to a person who is a hoarder and I have talked her into having a Ron Paul garage sale this month!

Her family has put a lot of pressure on her to clean up. My H and I have fixed all of her structural problems with her home. We still have a few rooms that still need cleaning out and the attic. It is not an easy task. She has many very nice things and she is very sentimental which is why she has so much stuff to begin with. She gets angry and cries with every room clean out. I cannot really express how hard it is for her or us doing the heavy lifting. One thing I do know is if we doing any cleaning she has to be right there or else she will put even more junk in there. She is a bad shopaholic and she is bad to pick stuff up off the side of the road. We have insisted that she stop picking up stuff from the road but the shopping is still out of hand.

What got her willing to clean up is she kept getting turned down for HO insurance. But I think it would be wrong for the city to come in and condemn the place and take her property from her how ever I think her family has threatened to call the city on her.

noxagol
07-05-2011, 07:18 AM
...I think her family has threatened to call the city on her.

I would disown my family if they did that for something like this.

Kylie
07-05-2011, 07:42 AM

Me too.

We have many family members who used to hoard. One that still does, but not to the extent that it's ruining the house. It's their shit, why is it any of my business to tamper with it?

Answer: It is not. I offer help and am always there with the trashcan and trailer everytime it is asked, and I think that's good enough.

Wouldn't ostracizing these people, just like we talk about doing to the Westborough church people, work? Or even better, and strong hand and a soft heart? You don't know what these people have been through in their lives, they may have a perfectly legitimate reason for keeping the items they have. And if they do, I don't see why it's any of your business how they store those items.

This one is tricky. I don't want my neighborhood to look like shit or be over ran by vermin, but I also don't want to trample on the property rights of another person.

Revolution9
07-05-2011, 07:52 AM
If supply lines rupture hoarders will become known by more positive monikers. There is also the Antique Roadshow angle, wherein that which by one is deemed worthless due to it sitting in a pile of other apparently useless jumble but is actually a one of a kind antique by a small but very sought after artisan shop worth the cost of the owners home.

Rev9

YumYum
07-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Hoarding is not the problem. It's what is being hoarded. I have an aunt in Texas who hoards. She is not organized, she is a very filthy person. Her clutter is knee high, and in some areas of her house it is waste high. She has a special son who has to wear a diaper, and buried beneath her clutter is his dried, poopy diapers that he removes and leaves where they are dropped, never to be picked up. My aunt has no excuse for this. She is too lazy to change his diaper, so she has her other special son, who is not as retarded, put him in the shower to wash the poop off. The house reeks of poop, and she can't understand why they are sick all the time and why her oldest boy keeps having violent seizures. I guess because she has property rights, she should be allowed to live as she wants, but she shouldn't impose her filthy lifestyle on my two special cousins.

Deborah K
07-05-2011, 08:30 AM
I have a family member who I love dearly, who is married to a hoarder. Haven't been invited to their house in over 10 years. They live in a nice neighborhood and keep the outside well manicured. The inside, according to my loved one, has narrow paths through each room and stuff is stacked several feet high on each side of the room. The hoarder is not unclean but has a shopping channel addiction and the stuff never even gets opened.

robskicks
07-05-2011, 08:35 AM
These people are not sane. They're sick, they need help.

Working Poor
07-05-2011, 09:32 AM
I have a family member who I love dearly, who is married to a hoarder. Haven't been invited to their house in over 10 years. They live in a nice neighborhood and keep the outside well manicured. The inside, according to my loved one, has narrow paths through each room and stuff is stacked several feet high on each side of the room. The hoarder is not unclean but has a shopping channel addiction and the stuff never even gets opened.
My friend is kind of like this too except instead of the shopping channel she goes to thrift shops garage and dollar stores. She keeps it clean in the kitchen and bath and vacuums the whole house ever couple of days and the yard is always well manicured.

specsaregood
07-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Now to be frank, I want to punch every single person on the show. I hate the people and they are incredibly weak, emotionally. They need obvious therapy and do not belong in jail.

So you are saying you like to punch weak people? Interesting...I think there is a word for that.

CaliforniaMom
07-05-2011, 09:40 AM
I feel horrified that police can come and force them to keep the inside of their property a certain way. People have actually been ARRESTED for hoarding (such as a professor in my area). Dude, just let them live how they want to live.
My garage is full of boxes and junk.. does that mean the police have a right to take my stuff if they view my garage as hoarding?

AGRP
07-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Unless theyre directly affecting neighbors (rats/smells/etc), I dont see a problem with them. If youre a neigbor and the sight of their home is bad then you can politely ask them to clean it up. If they still dont and the blight is affecting the neighborhood that much then people can pitch in and help clean up the home in question.

It sickens me how the state will abduct children simply because their parent/s are pack rats.

oyarde
07-05-2011, 10:42 AM
I feel horrified that police can come and force them to keep the inside of their property a certain way. People have actually been ARRESTED for hoarding (such as a professor in my area). Dude, just let them live how they want to live.
My garage is full of boxes and junk.. does that mean the police have a right to take my stuff if they view my garage as hoarding?

Alright , what kinda junk you have in the garage ? :) I need another vacum cleaner and and some chicken wire :)

oyarde
07-05-2011, 10:46 AM
The govt routinely over steps bounds in these types of things . As for child endangerment , define what that truly is and you will see ....

Wesker1982
07-05-2011, 11:31 AM
It is an interesting show but I avoid it because my blood boils every time someone gets plundered for having junk in their yard.

BrendenR
07-05-2011, 11:47 AM

You want to punch people who have obvious mental and emotional issues. Good to know. I find that disgusting.

idirtify
07-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Two things evidenced by this thread:

Hoarding is probably more common than we all think.

Watching the show is a good test for one’s dedication to individual liberty, considering the disgust it evokes.

thehungarian
07-05-2011, 01:17 PM
So you are saying you like to punch weak people? Interesting...I think there is a word for that.

Spare me the lecture. I do not like to punch weak people, or any people. I have never punched anyone in my life. Getting mad at people on a TV show who have no self control is a pittance compared to actually acting on that anger.

I was pretty drunk when I wrote that. At least it was somewhat coherent.

Andrew-Austin
07-05-2011, 01:27 PM
If supply lines rupture hoarders will become known by more positive monikers. There is also the Antique Roadshow angle, wherein that which by one is deemed worthless due to it sitting in a pile of other apparently useless jumble but is actually a one of a kind antique by a small but very sought after artisan shop worth the cost of the owners home.

Rev9

That is one way to put a positive spin on what is clearly a very hurtful psychological problem.

A&E has a show called “Hoarders” and often depicts horrid living conditions of people who are getting ready to be evicted and/or their property condemned. Sometimes they are renters, but mostly it’s their own property that gets “raided” by local authorities (“adult protective services” for example) who haul off their stuff without their consent. Even though many of the living situations are beyond disgusting (don’t be eating while you watch), this show brings up obvious issues regarding property rights. I don’t know what kinds of agreements were signed prior to the raids, but I was wondering what other viewers thought about these two clashing trends: hoarding and the nanny state. Watching this show presents a dilemma for this student of individual liberty, especially when there’s overt child neglect/endangerment involved.

I'd speculate that the trauma these people suffered to become the way they are, is somewhat related to why the state has so much power. Child abuse/neglect in all its numerous manifestations is nine times out of ten the cause of the psychological problem that afflicts hoarders, and at the same time I'd say the unhealthy relationships between parents and their kids is causative of the bulk of the populace looking to the coercive/ruling arm of the state as the primary means of solving problems. That is a very abstract/complex view that I don't think I'm proficcient in explaining, but there it is anyways.

So the problem of the state and the problem of hoarders are both rooted in the same thing, so it is somewhat fitting that the state barge in on the hoarders and try to fix their predicament via coercion. What they need is the sympathetic ear of a good therapist, but its unsurprising their psychological problem festers until it becomes so problematic to their children or neighbors or to themselves that the state has to strong arm them in to changing. This won't help them long term, but obviously it can make them clean up their clutter until the next time they have a chance at building up their rubbish piles yet again. Its an unfortunate situation all around, but if they are hurting their kids or neighbors, then the least thing we can hope for is that the state intrudes. Its not the help they should get, but its better than nothing. In transferring to more free and healthy society these types of situations will be of the most difficult things we have to deal with I think.

thehungarian
07-05-2011, 01:30 PM
You want to punch people who have obvious mental and emotional issues. Good to know. I find that disgusting.

Oh please. I say I want to punch something every single day, multiple times a day. I get mad at my kitty when she scratches my door frame and threaten to slap her around, but the worst I do is spray her with my Wicket Repellent spray bottle.

There was a guy who had 2,000 rats in his house and he cried like he lost his mother when one of them died. I wanted to slap him. Would I slap him? No, but I would definitely talk sternly to him and slop his jock like the "hoarding experts" do.

There was a fat man who hoarded toys named Billy Bob who was a complete asshole to everyone. He demeans his wife and yells at everyone trying to help him. I wanted to punch him right in the belly like Ehud dealing with Eglon the king of Moab. Would I react that way if I was actually in his presence? No. Fat men are intimidating.

Expressing that you'd like to punch someone is a therapeutic release for the expressor. It doesn't mean the person would react the same when confronted with the choice to do it. Watch 12 Angry Men.

specsaregood
07-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Spare me the lecture. I do not like to punch weak people, or any people. I have never punched anyone in my life. Getting mad at people on a TV show who have no self control is a pittance compared to actually acting on that anger.
I was pretty drunk when I wrote that. At least it was somewhat coherent.

Calm down sunshine. I was just funning you, it was hardly a lecture.

speciallyblend
07-05-2011, 03:01 PM
i perfer marijuana hoarders;)

thehungarian
07-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Calm down sunshine. I was just funning you, it was hardly a lecture.

Ahem. Well then. Good show. Don't I feel like a horse's patoot.

amy31416
07-05-2011, 03:51 PM
Ahem. Well then. Good show. Don't I feel like a horse's patoot.

Made me wanna punch you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_RKPGS2vwM

:p

Danke
07-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Hoarding is not the problem. It's what is being hoarded. I have an aunt in Texas who hoards. She is not organized, she is a very filthy person. Her clutter is knee high, and in some areas of her house it is waste high. She has a special son who has to wear a diaper, and buried beneath her clutter is his dried, poopy diapers that he removes and leaves where they are dropped, never to be picked up. My aunt has no excuse for this. She is too lazy to change his diaper, so she has her other special son, who is not as retarded, put him in the shower to wash the poop off. The house reeks of poop, and she can't understand why they are sick all the time and why her oldest boy keeps having violent seizures. I guess because she has property rights, she should be allowed to live as she wants, but she shouldn't impose her filthy lifestyle on my two special cousins.

Is this the same aunt you kiss?

amy31416
07-05-2011, 07:10 PM

Kinky.

specsaregood
07-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Kinky.

I'll admit it; I only read yumdum's comment because of Danke's reply.

Working Poor
07-05-2011, 07:19 PM

I don't know any but I will put it on my wish list.

amy31416
07-05-2011, 07:23 PM
I'll admit it; I only read yumdum's comment because of Danke's reply.

He can be quite entertainingly absurd. I find him amusing.

Danke
07-05-2011, 07:27 PM

falconplayer11
07-05-2011, 07:30 PM

This is the worst way in the world to solve a problem. Thousands of spouses, parents, and children have regretted calling the cops on their family members after that family member is found to be guilty of some crime and is now in jail.

Seraphim
07-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Lmfao!

get back to breast feeding. And post pics, would ya?

Agorism
07-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Every time I see that show, I wonder if they are vegetarians. One lady was saying how she had to save just one more life (a Dog), and I was wondering how many cows\pigs\chickens she consumed yearly.

amy31416
07-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Get back to breast feeding. And post pics, would ya?

Just for that, I'll be encouraging AF to post more WalMart babes.

pcosmar
07-05-2011, 07:52 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wt4UqRvUFE

Danke
07-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Just for that, I'll be encouraging AF to post more WalMart babes.

I took it back. Now promise you will not encourage AF!

amy31416
07-05-2011, 07:59 PM
I took it back. Now promise you will not encourage AF!

All is forgiven....I will even discourage AF.

Danke
07-05-2011, 08:14 PM

07-05-2011, 08:44 PM
I don't even want to get in to the child endangerment (and adult endangerment, for that matter) aspect, but there are so many examples of how their lifestyle effects their neighbors that the argument can easily be made that they negatively impact their neighbors. One guy hoarded rats. He had over 2k in his house, and I can't imagine the stench that must have emanated, along with all the non-libertarian rats who migrated on to the neighbor's property.

So, on one hand, I feel sorry for a lot of these folks, but on the other--if they live in close quarters with other people, they have a responsibility to not practice behaviors that harm them.

Right. I would say it is a standard libertarian municipal position here to say that someone's freedom to hoard, or do anything else to their property, ends at the neighbor's property line. And if you can show some externality otherwise (like a devaluation of neighboring property), you can even have a non-obvious externality. An "intangible."

Ricky201
07-06-2011, 01:36 AM
My comment will be similar to others on here. Some people simply hoard shoes, fake designer merchandise, dolls *ick!*, etc. Most of these people don't really cause any damage to their neighbors, but many of them do when odors and vermin become involved that eventually spread to neighboring homes. We should be treating these people like drug addicts and alcoholics. What good will throwing them in jail or evicting them from their home when they're not doing harm to others?

Eric21ND
07-06-2011, 01:47 AM
I was just thinking of what the libertarian answer would be to these hoarders on A&E the other day.

RonPaulIsGreat
07-06-2011, 02:31 AM
I say all hoarders need to register with the government, then when a thief is convicted, instead of sending him to jail, the government will pay for the thief to live next door to the hoarder. This will create a healthy economic ecosystem.

Consumption Cycle:
1. Hoarder buys HSN junk, doesn't even open it and throws it in a pile.
2. Career Thief, watches intensely for the day the hoarder must leave for supplies (The government can provide motion sensing cameras to detect this for the thief).
3. Thief plucks packages from the bottom of the Home Shopping Network pile, taking only a small fraction of the HSN Vein at a time, as not to only deplete the resource in a sustainable manner.
4. Thief sells the HSN stuff at flea markets, ebay, etc..
5 Thief give that money to drug dealer, grocery stores, and prostitutes.
6. A Fraction of the HSN stuff will be repurchased by other hoarders and replenish the supply, the remainder will provide others with a cheap source of HSN junk.

Now, this would create several jobs, or motivate some to find a job.
1. The Hoarder will now be able to purchase at a greater rate, seeing they will not reach maximum capacity as soon, this will create more factory jobs, shipping jobs.
2. The Hoarder will spend more money as a consequence of the accelerated purchasing speed, and thus a fraction of the hoarders will be forced into employment, or to possibly get additional employment.
3. The Thief now is serving a vital community role, and we can retitle him as a hoarding management specialist, giving him a sense of pride.
4. The Thief will no longer be stealing as much from the other members of the community that would actually notice when their stuff was missing, thus the crime stats and neighborhood safety ratings would increase, and therefore eventually property values would increase, and therefore more affluent people would move there, and that would lead to more jobs in construction, retail, and many other service sector jobs.
5. The hoarding management specialist (thief), will also promote jobs in pawn shops, flea markets, and the general barter economy.
6. The Thief, will also invariably spend his earnings from his hoarding management activities, on drugs, providing a job, prostitutes (how else can a mother of 3 kids go back to school, live in a nice house, maintain a crack habit, and drive a nice car), which gives them an opportunity to earn money rather than be permanently trapped in a life of poverty.

The benefits outweigh the few costs.
1. Less Prison guards (Job loss).
2. Less 1-800-GotJunk jobs to go around.

Austrian Econ Disciple
07-06-2011, 03:07 AM
Right. I would say it is a standard libertarian municipal position here to say that someone's freedom to hoard, or do anything else to their property, ends at the neighbor's property line. And if you can show some externality otherwise (like a devaluation of neighboring property), you can even have a non-obvious externality. An "intangible."

That's not an externality. Having a rude neighbor also brings down the value of the houses which reside near that particular person, by your reasoning the Government would be just in stepping in to curb rude behavior. No one has any right to any supposed value of their property. They only have a right to property, not any particular value thereof (as long as no fraud or thievery is committed obviously).

Deborah K
07-06-2011, 07:37 AM
That's not an externality. Having a rude neighbor also brings down the value of the houses which reside near that particular person, by your reasoning the Government would be just in stepping in to curb rude behavior. No one has any right to any supposed value of their property. They only have a right to property, not any particular value thereof (as long as no fraud or thievery is committed obviously).

Do you have any evidence of this? Or are you speaking in theory? I dabbled in real estate some years ago, and I don't recall rude behavior being a factor in real estate value.

Deborah K
07-06-2011, 07:41 AM
I was just thinking of what the libertarian answer would be to these hoarders on A&E the other day.

Caring intercession by family, friends, and neighbors.

YumYum
07-06-2011, 08:18 AM

Oh God no. She is obese and has garlic breath and greasy hair. She has varicose veins and her two front teeth are missing. She never shaves her pits and legs, and compared to her my goats smell like Estee Lauder. She is mean and cruel.

Now the other aunt, the one you mentioned, she is a different story. She looks just like Angelina Jolie, with piercing violet eyes, and full, succulent, lips. (I look like Angelina Jolie, I could have been her son; I have big, full lips). This aunt is 5'7" and has a figure that is 36-24-34. She is very athletic. She is very sweet and kind. She is rich and single; so, go eat your heart out Danke!

angelatc
07-06-2011, 08:56 AM

Rev9

As an eBay seller, that's what I see. In out family, when somebody died there was always a barn or two full of stuff to be cleaned out. The family would have an auctioneer come sell off the stuff to keep people from fighting over it. Our kids aren't going to have that - we're the generation that throws away perfectly good "stuff."

On the other hand....my house looks like it belongs to a hoarder because over the past 4 months we cleaned out a hoarder house. OB/GYN who traveled the world shopping and buying. His house was 4,500 sf with full basement too, and there were basically just paths between the stacks and bags. I'll be selling his stuff for the next freaking two years, because there's so much of it. Between his home and his office, we literally filled up 4 26' foot U-Hauls. I kept thinking that we should have had the TV cameras there.

angelatc
07-06-2011, 08:59 AM
I was just thinking of what the libertarian answer would be to these hoarders on A&E the other day. Friends and family. Every time I hear somebody on that show threaten to call adult protective services, I seriously want to choke that person.

idirtify
07-06-2011, 09:28 AM
I say all hoarders need to register with the government, then when a thief is convicted, instead of sending him to jail, the government will pay for the thief to live next door to the hoarder. This will create a healthy economic ecosystem.

Consumption Cycle:
1. Hoarder buys HSN junk, doesn't even open it and throws it in a pile.
2. Career Thief, watches intensely for the day the hoarder must leave for supplies (The government can provide motion sensing cameras to detect this for the thief).
3. Thief plucks packages from the bottom of the Home Shopping Network pile, taking only a small fraction of the HSN Vein at a time, as not to only deplete the resource in a sustainable manner.
4. Thief sells the HSN stuff at flea markets, ebay, etc..
5 Thief give that money to drug dealer, grocery stores, and prostitutes.
6. A Fraction of the HSN stuff will be repurchased by other hoarders and replenish the supply, the remainder will provide others with a cheap source of HSN junk.

Now, this would create several jobs, or motivate some to find a job.
1. The Hoarder will now be able to purchase at a greater rate, seeing they will not reach maximum capacity as soon, this will create more factory jobs, shipping jobs.
2. The Hoarder will spend more money as a consequence of the accelerated purchasing speed, and thus a fraction of the hoarders will be forced into employment, or to possibly get additional employment.
3. The Thief now is serving a vital community role, and we can retitle him as a hoarding management specialist, giving him a sense of pride.
4. The Thief will no longer be stealing as much from the other members of the community that would actually notice when their stuff was missing, thus the crime stats and neighborhood safety ratings would increase, and therefore eventually property values would increase, and therefore more affluent people would move there, and that would lead to more jobs in construction, retail, and many other service sector jobs.
5. The hoarding management specialist (thief), will also promote jobs in pawn shops, flea markets, and the general barter economy.
6. The Thief, will also invariably spend his earnings from his hoarding management activities, on drugs, providing a job, prostitutes (how else can a mother of 3 kids go back to school, live in a nice house, maintain a crack habit, and drive a nice car), which gives them an opportunity to earn money rather than be permanently trapped in a life of poverty.

The benefits outweigh the few costs.
1. Less Prison guards (Job loss).
2. Less 1-800-GotJunk jobs to go around.

That’s hilarious. Kind of a combination idiocracy and creative sentencing. Like, “where’s a meth-head thief when you need one?”

I must say that this topic contains much comic value, despite its tragic nature. I mean hoarding can only be a problem in a prosperous society where material goods are so abundant. And when said prosperous society falls on difficult times, and its government constantly abuses its people and causes much psychological disorder, “pack ratting” develops. Who could have guessed?

Anyway, thanks to all for the great posts.

idirtify
07-06-2011, 09:42 AM
As an eBay seller, that's what I see. In out family, when somebody died there was always a barn or two full of stuff to be cleaned out. The family would have an auctioneer come sell off the stuff to keep people from fighting over it. Our kids aren't going to have that - we're the generation that throws away perfectly good "stuff."

On the other hand....my house looks like it belongs to a hoarder because over the past 4 months we cleaned out a hoarder house. OB/GYN who traveled the world shopping and buying. His house was 4,500 sf with full basement too, and there were basically just paths between the stacks and bags. I'll be selling his stuff for the next freaking two years, because there's so much of it. Between his home and his office, we literally filled up 4 26' foot U-Hauls. I kept thinking that we should have had the TV cameras there.

Wow, I can’t believe how common this is.

Sorry, but I must go for more humor. A stand up routine begs for a series of Foxworthy-like jokes; “If your entire usable kitchen consists of two five gallon buckets, then you just might be a hoarder.”

PS: PM me your ebay seller name.

oyarde
07-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Two things evidenced by this thread:

Hoarding is probably more common than we all think.

Watching the show is a good test for one’s dedication to individual liberty, considering the disgust it evokes.

Yeah , I tend to hoard tools and change .

oyarde
07-06-2011, 10:02 AM

Ha , knew that was you when I read it!

AZ Libertarian
07-06-2011, 10:24 AM
I am gross and perverted
I'm obsessed 'n deranged
I have existed for years
But very little has changed
I am the tool of the Government
And industry too
For I am destined to rule
And regulate you

I may be vile and pernicious
But you can't look away
I make you think I'm delicious
With the stuff that I say
I am the best you can get
Have you guessed me yet?
I am the slime oozin' out
From your TV set

You will obey me while I lead you
And eat the governments that I feed you

Until the day that we don't need you
Don't call for help...no one will heed you
Your mind is totally controlled
It has been stuffed into my mold
And you will do as you are told
Until the rights to you are sold

That's right, folks..
Don't touch that dial

Well, I am the slime from your video
Oozin' along on your livin' room floor

I am the slime from your video
Can't stop the slime, people, lookit me go

oyarde
07-06-2011, 10:43 AM
I bought a pair of channelocks at a yard sale this spring for 2 bucks . I already own ten pair , spread out among three households . Does this make me a hoarder :) ?

angelatc
07-06-2011, 10:44 AM
I bought a pair of channelocks at a yard sale this spring for 2 bucks . I already own ten pair , spread out among three households . Does this make me a hoarder :) ?

Depends. How many channels you got that need locking?

libertybrewcity
07-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Hoarders for Ron Paul! Anyone want to have the honor of starting the group?

oyarde
07-06-2011, 10:56 AM
I have a 1908 silver dime I would donate to be auctioned for the cause if anyone is interested , I will mail it to them for that purpose , pm me a mailing address . I have been carrying it in my wallet for about six years , it was left to me by my Father . I already have a hoarding problem with other silver dimes :) . I have a collection 1917 - 1964 and a second collection after 1921 to 1945 . The 1908 is not particularily valuable , but it is neat, I will happily donate it for the cause.

oyarde
07-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Depends. How many channels you got that need locking?

I probably have a screwdiver , nutdriver , vise grip and adjustable wrench hoarding problem as well . And here I thought I was well balanced until Idirtify pointed out my flaw :)

idirtify
07-06-2011, 03:12 PM
A lot of these hoarding cases seem to be a simple matter of too little space. If I had to compact all my stuff from my buildings and storage trailers into my regular sized house, it would probably be a similar situation. But obtaining more storage space brings up another curious development of modern times: the popularity of paying big monthly rent to store worthless stuff in mini-warehouses. Not that there’s anything wrong with paying a lot of money to store junk with sentimental value, or that it involves any issues with libertarian principles.

Dr.3D
07-06-2011, 03:17 PM
A lot of these hoarding cases seem to be a simple matter of too little space. If I had to compact all my stuff from my buildings and storage trailers into my regular sized house, it would probably be a similar situation. But obtaining more storage space brings up another curious development of modern times: the popularity of paying big monthly rent to store worthless stuff in mini-warehouses. Not that there’s anything wrong with paying a lot of money to store junk with sentimental value, or that it involves any issues with libertarian principles.
I think that's why they came up with storage places like "Pack Rat".
http://www.1800packrat.com/

idirtify
07-07-2011, 08:42 AM
I think that's why they came up with storage places like "Pack Rat".
http://www.1800packrat.com/

Which are probably even MORE expensive than mini-warehouse units.

oyarde
07-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Well , I am off to continue my hoarding tomorrow , bought a milk crate full of tools from some guy in the newspaper for $45 , going to pick it up Sat afternoon. He said it is mostly socket sets , about six or so sets , I think I will make my money back in gas savings . Leave it at the girlfriends and I will not have to drive to my toolbox to pick up my socket sets every time I am working on something :)

Working Poor
07-08-2011, 10:41 AM
The libertarian way of dealing with it would be to give help when asked and not force your will on the person in question. There are a lot of noisy neighbors and busy bodies I wish it were not so.

oyarde
07-08-2011, 10:45 AM
The libertarian way of dealing with it would be to give help when asked and not force your will on the person in question. There are a lot of noisy neighbors and busy bodies I wish it were not so.

Yes , I will likely help anyone with anything I can , but whatever they do on the property they own is not my business ......