PDA

View Full Version : Thousands of state workers forced to pay union fees Many workers upset about new charges

tangent4ronpaul
07-04-2011, 09:18 PM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-union-fees-expand-20110704,0,4399015.story

Maryland's largest state employee union is set to begin collecting fees from nonmembers this month — a move that sets up the Maryland chapter of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees for what could be a $4.7 million gain over the fiscal year.

AFSCME sees the additional money as a matter of fairness, since the union negotiates contracts with the state on behalf of all its bargaining members, though fewer than half pay dues. Union officials say the extra money will allow them to improve services.

But some of the 12,500 state workers who will find as much as a $389 bite out of their annual pay criticize the new fees.

"People like me, I don't have a lot of faith in unions," said Michael White, who works for the Motor Vehicle Administration in Glen Burnie.

The fees — which will also be collected by smaller unions such as the American Federation of Teachers — are allowed under The Fair Share Act, which the state legislature passed in 2009 largely on a party-line vote. Gov. Martin O'Malley, a pro-labor Democrat who benefited from strong union support in his re-election bid last year, had pushed the measure.

{more at link)

Think we just found a new audience for that Right to Work slim jim...

Related - the State legislature just raided 50% of the public teachers pension fund.

Carehn
07-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Shit! You don't even have to be government to tax income anymore. Why even bother with trade. Lets just all start raping and pillaging.

Philhelm
07-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Shit! You don't even have to be government to tax income anymore. Why even bother with trade. Lets just all start raping and pillaging.

I know whose wives and property I'd start with.

Kylie
07-05-2011, 07:36 AM
I know whose wives and property I'd start with.

Word.

Get their little dogs too. :D