PDA

View Full Version : FBI surveillance drove Ernest Hemingway to suicide, says long time friend A.E. Hotchner

Anti Federalist
07-04-2011, 06:52 PM
'Hemingway was driven to suicide by FBI surveillance'

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/us/Hemingway-was-driven-to-suicide-by-FBI-surveillance/articleshow/9106873.cms

NEW YORK: For over 50 years, journalists, writers and even psychologists have tried to unravel the exact reason why American author Ernest Hemingway took his own life.

Now his close friend and collaborator has claimed that Hemingway may have been driven to suicide, by shooting himself at his Idaho home while his wife Mary slept, because of his surveillance by the FBI, the media reported.

AE Hotchner says he believed the FBI's monitoring of the Nobel Prize-winning author, over suspicions of his links to Communist Cuba, "substantially contributed to his anguish and his suicide" 50 years ago. He wrote in 'The New York Times' that Hemingway's concerns, which were dismissed as paranoid delusions, actually had a massive impact on him which "substantially contributed to his anguish and suicide".

Hemingway, who penned 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' and 'The Old Man and the Sea', was terrified of being bugged and followed by the FBI, according to Kotchner. He writes: "I now believe he truly sensed the surveillance, and that it substantially contributed to his anguish and his suicide."

tangent4ronpaul
07-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Hemingway (and his son) were both OSS.

I've seen his file at NARA. RG 231, IIRC.

sevin
07-04-2011, 09:16 PM
I love your posts, Anti Federalist, but now I think you're reaching...

Carehn
07-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Edit - Don't want to hurt any ones fillers.

Anti Federalist
07-04-2011, 09:32 PM
I love your posts, Anti Federalist, but now I think you're reaching...

Offered without comment.

I'm not sure what to think, the full article is a pay only NYT piece.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me.

Look how they hounded the alleged "anthrax" attacker into suicide.