PDA

View Full Version : The goal should be 25,000 November 5th subscribers -- read this explanation

TechnoGuyRob
10-31-2007, 12:52 AM
From what I've generally heard by talking to people, about half of the people donating on November 5th have subscribed. Judging from a poll in the Nov 5th & 11th subforum, the people who donate over $100 will be close to half of the donations (with the other half being less than or equal to $100). This suggests two things: there are twice as many donators as subscribers, and the average donation will settle in at $200 (this is not that unreasonable, as people who donate $1000 or $2300 are the equivalent of 10 or 23 people, respectively, for example). Hence, if we get 25,000 people to subscribe, that should put us within an optimistic but realistic range of the planned $10,000,000.

It's going to be a lot of work, though. I definitely think we can do it, however. I know some would say it's treason, but I hope the campaign sends out an e-mail that day telling everyone about the grassroots effort, but distancing itself from it at the same time. That would definitely give any final needed boost.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but...

I think this is possible. :eek:

qwerty
10-31-2007, 12:59 AM
Everything is possible!

People just start wokring even herder for this one!

mport1
10-31-2007, 01:06 AM
There are also probably a good portion of subscribers that will not donate.

TechnoGuyRob
10-31-2007, 01:11 AM

Why would you do that? :mad:

In any case, I really think 25,000 will do it, for us.

mport1
10-31-2007, 01:14 AM
Why would you do that? :mad:

In any case, I really think 25,000 will do it, for us.

Well some people might do it to boost the numbers.

ronpaulyourmom
10-31-2007, 01:16 AM
Don't forget that if the campaign runs with the success of the fundraising from the morning hours and sends out an email, the entire previous donor base + anybody who signed up for the email list might jump on board for a donation. This would presumably include 10's of thousands who didn't know about the big drive initially.

Thomas_Paine
10-31-2007, 01:36 AM
Don't forget that if the campaign runs with the success of the fundraising from the morning hours and sends out an email, the entire previous donor base + anybody who signed up for the email list might jump on board for a donation. This would presumably include 10's of thousands who didn't know about the big drive initially.

Good point

TechnoGuyRob
10-31-2007, 01:49 AM
Bump for the night.

Eli
10-31-2007, 01:50 AM
we can do this! Even just getting all the meetup members to go for will put us over the mark.

Akus
10-31-2007, 01:57 AM

that's right buddy, clip those wings of hope before anything even takes off:rolleyes:

goRPaul
10-31-2007, 02:01 AM
The goal shouldn't be a certain number of subscribers. The goal should be getting 100% of subscribers to follow through with their pledge.

qwerty
10-31-2007, 02:30 AM
NOV 5th GOAL IS TO RAISE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE IN ONE DAY!

So any amount will help us!

Ozwest
10-31-2007, 02:51 AM
Well some people might do it to boost the numbers.

What's with the negative vibes? Time to do a little soul searching my friend.

Exponent
10-31-2007, 06:53 AM
What's with the negative vibes? Time to do a little soul searching my friend.
In mport1's defense, these don't strike me as negative vibes, but rather as "keeping things in perspective" vibes. I'm certainly optimistic, and mport1 might be as well, but we can recognize that there could in fact be reasons why people would pledge but would not follow through. In fact, I am quite confident that there will be a few people who will do just that, for various reasons. I am optimistic, though, and don't really expect that it will be enough to matter. But I don't rule out the possibility.

We have all seen negative vibes on this forum recently, no doubt. I think mport1's comments are sufficiently justified and sufficiently worded to not be considered among them, however. They sound to me like the primarily serve to discourage building expectations up too high, since it is arguably the case that extremely high expectations serve little good, and when such expectations don't get met (even if the result is still astoundingly good), they can really cause havoc.