PDA

View Full Version : NY State attempting to force more business to leave

cindy25
07-03-2011, 11:03 PM
I posted the complete article because this paper has no archives, and the link was be dead in a few days.

http://www.buffalonews.com/business/local-business/article476514.ece

Updated: July 3, 2011, 6:44 AM

George Pappas says he felt under attack the minute the state’s sales tax auditor walked through the door of his Forestview Restaurant in the Town of Lancaster.

“He was just ruthless,” Pappas said.

The auditor, according to the restaurateur, appeared to have presumed Pappas was skimming money and only was seeking some way to prove it.

Though Pappas said he was able to produce all his books, records and tapes — cash register reports that itemize each day’s sales — some copies of paper sales checks for individual sales made over the previous three years were missing.

“Do you think with a thousand people coming through my doors, a couple of checks aren’t going to go missing?” Pappas asked.

Sometimes, someone rips a check out of a pad to jot down a note or a phone number. Sometimes servers accidentally go home with the guest check pads in their aprons. Sometimes they get splashed with grease or water.

But the absence of some paper guest checks meant the auditor was able to declare Pappas had “inadequate records.” That opened the door to presuming Pappas had dodged taxes and to estimating a bill for what Pappas owed.

The estimate — $250,000 — means that tax authorities had concluded that Pappas had stolen or hidden $3 million in revenue.

“If I had that kind of money, would I have debt? Wouldn’t I be living in a palace?” Pappas asked. “I’ve been working just to pay lawyers for the last six years. I can barely pay my bills. I’m living on a line of credit.”

Pappas, who will bring his case before the state’s tax appeals tribunal in September, has spent $145,000 on legal bills since his first state audit six years ago.

Michael Hallac was in the middle of renovating his Clarence Dairy Queen franchise when what he calls his “nightmare” with state tax authorities began.

Like most bars and restaurants in the state, Dairy Queen uses electronic point-of-sales systems rather than old-fashioned paper checks. But even though he had met stringent record-keeping requirements and oversight set by the Dairy Queen Corp., the absence of those paper checks opened the door for an auditor to estimate a bill of “several thousand dollars” in unpaid taxes.

He now has hooked up journal printers to every cash register to produce individual sales checks that, with today’s technology, wouldn’t otherwise be created.

The fate of the owner of one small pizzeria hangs in the balance. Though he said he is barely scratching out a living, auditors used the

same “inadequate records” claim to estimate a tax bill that, with penalties and fees, will approach $30,000. If the amount — which he is appealing — stands, it will put him out of business.

Bar and restaurant owners repeat the same story: In a climate of fear and intimidation, auditors are using unfair methods to calculate imaginary sales tax.

Instead of revising tax laws written well before the digital age, tax enforcers are exploiting them to close budget gaps and justify their own salaries, critics allege.

“It’s like ‘The Sopranos,’ but they have a badge,” said the pizzeria owner, who asked not to be named for fear of retribution. “It’s extortion.”

The state itself has admitted it aims to review every business to make sure it is paying its fair share of sales tax. It has hired 330 new auditors with the goal of raising $220 million per year.

Claims follow story
But the state’s taxpayer advocate said great strides have been made to make the process fairer and keep auditors in line. After an article in The Buffalo News detailing claims by restaurant owners who believed they were unfairly targeted, the advocate’s office was flooded by calls from restaurateurs with similar stories.

“Clearly, improvements had to be made,” said Jack Trachtenberg, deputy commissioner and taxpayer rights advocate with the state Department of Taxation and Finance.

Some major sticking points, he said, have been resolved.

Statewide, auditors have gone back to class for retraining on the proper way to conduct audits. Auditors now are required to use business records for audit evaluations even if they would be ruled “technically inadequate” by paper era standards. Estimating a tax bill using other methods, such as comparing a bar’s price markups to national averages or comparing one day’s business with the same calendar day on a previous year, should be used only as a last resort.

“The rules can be very strict and cause people unintentional slip-ups,” he said. “That shouldn’t mean we rush to dismiss records and rush into estimating. If a company has substantive records, we should use them.”

If a business owner truly has insufficient records for a complete audit, auditors now are required to use several methods to estimate the amount owed. Even then, if the owner can show evidence of why the estimate is incorrect, auditors must be ready to make adjustments, taking into account such things as a restaurant’s size, location, prices and hours.

The department also put together an extensive bulletin for the food and beverage industry, posting specifics about what records owners need to keep and outlining exactly what adequate records mean. That definition, however, still includes paper sales checks.

The state also is working with the makers of point-of-sales systems to include mechanisms in cash registers that would assure tax enforcers that unethical business owners looking to cover up tax evasion cannot manipulate those records. Arguments for requiring paper sales checks include lack of trust in electronic records.

Other than litigation, taxpayers have been able to contest unfair auditing practices only through the Bureau of Conciliation and Mediation Services. But mediators sometimes had a tendency to side with auditors rather than taxpayers.

“I raised the issue early on that the conciliatory process was not working properly,” Trachtenberg said. “Kevin Law, who was appointed director of the [mediation services] has made a lot of changes.”

Over the past six months, the system has been revamped to ensure that mediators are not beholden to auditors.

But what about the reputation many auditors in Western New York have as bullies?

“I hope that’s not happening. But if it is, we need to hear from [business owners],” Trachtenberg said. “I know some people are afraid [of retribution], but if we don’t know about it, we can’t do anything about it.”

The state has mailed business owners the names of managers and supervisors to whom they can make complaints.

Business owners also are urged to contact the taxpayer advocate’s office if they have a problem with an auditor, the audit or estimation methods. Complaints can be kept confidential at the owner’s request.

Trachtenberg — who notes that he reports to the tax commissioner, not the enforcement office and so can remain impartial — insists the results speak for themselves.

Last year, he said, the advocate’s office took in 1,921 complaints from restaurant owners. Roughly 68 percent were resolved in the taxpayer’s favor, with some or all of the relief they requested being granted.

Owners finally triumph
The Buffalo Tap Room & Grill in the Town of Tonawanda — which, despite detailed records dating back to 1984, was slapped with a$330,000 tax bill last year — eventually triumphed. The bill was dismissed, with owners Dave Panaro and Dennis Nettina paying nothing.

Hallac admitted no wrongdoing at his Dairy Queen, but settled and paid a few thousand dollars through his mediation hearing, just to get things over with. Of course, now that opens him up to state and federal income tax bills, because that few thousand dollars will be considered undeclared income.

Panaro and Nettina have led the fight against unethical tax collection practices, urging business owners to band together and leaning on lawmakers to stand up for small businesses.

That does not win back the time and money they spent fighting their own battles. And it doesn’t restore their health to what it was before the state’s hammer came down. But they hope it will spare other companies similar ordeals.

And despite the reforms Trachtenberg says are being made, the voice mail boxes of sales tax compliance consultants such as David Gross continue to fill up with messages from teary, terrified clients.

Still, the state insists progress is being made.

“Clearly, audits could have been done better,” Trachtenberg said. “And we’re working to assure they’re done better going forward.”

Anti Federalist
07-03-2011, 11:08 PM
“It’s like ‘The Sopranos,’ but they have a badge,” said the pizzeria owner, who asked not to be named for fear of retribution. “It’s extortion.”

There you have it.

V for Voluntary
07-03-2011, 11:27 PM
http://i.qkme.me/2bot.jpg

Humanae Libertas
07-03-2011, 11:39 PM
East Coast States and California heading down the drain. Doing the same thing over and expecting different results. Seriously, once they're done taxing the "Super Rich", who are they going to go after next? I think we all know who they're going to go after.

showpan
07-04-2011, 12:08 AM
East Coast States and California heading down the drain. Doing the same thing over and expecting different results. Seriously, once they're done taxing the "Super Rich", who are they going to go after next? I think we all know who they're going to go after.

You must mean before they tax the rich. My property taxes only went down $28 even though my house is now worth $78k less. Two years ago, my auto registration cost $48. It's been the same amount for the last 12 years and last year it jumped to $79 and this year it cost me $173. Our drivers license tripled, and now they are having discussions about raising the mill rate again to pay for more police. A county of less than 40,000 people and we already have 104 deputies driving around in brand new cars with cameras that permanently record your license plate. They just layed off teachers, firefighters and some clerks. The county is in the red for $5 million and the new digital radios the police just upgraded to cost...$5 million. Some of us got kicked out of the last few meetings and others were arrested.

cindy25
07-04-2011, 02:36 AM
I think this also proves what a disaster a national sales tax would be.

jm1776
07-04-2011, 04:03 AM
I think this also proves what a disaster a national sales tax would be.

This ^^^

VBRonPaulFan
07-04-2011, 07:04 AM
There you have it.

no...

The state itself has admitted it aims to review every business to make sure it is paying its fair share of sales tax. It has hired 330 new auditors with the goal of raising $220 million per year.

THERE you have it. When the goal is raising $220 million and not making sure people are complying with the rules, the business becomes the enemy to be wrung dry. Anyone with half a brain would have left NY a long time ago. I like upstate personally, but the way the government does shit there completely put me off to ever consider living there.

mrsat_98
07-04-2011, 07:50 AM
THE STORY OF THE BUCK ACT
by
Richard McDonald

edited by
Mitch Modeleski

In order for you to understand the full import of what is happening, I must explain certain laws to you.

When passing new statutes, the Federal government always does everything according to the principles of law. In order for the Federal Government to tax a Citizen of one of the several states, they had to create some sort of contractual nexus. This contractual nexus is the "Social Security Number".

In 1935, the federal government instituted Social Security.

The Social Security Board then created 10 Social Security "Districts". The combination of these "Districts" resulted in a "Federal area" which covered all the several states like a clear plastic overlay.

In 1939, the federal government instituted the "Public Salary Tax Act of 1939". This Act is a municipal law of the District of Columbia for taxing all federal and state government employees and those who live and work in any "Federal area".

Now, the government knows it cannot tax those state Citizens who live and work outside the territorial jurisdiction of Article 1, Section 8, Clause 17 (1:8:17) or Article 4, Section 3, Clause 2 (4:3:2) in the U.S. Constitution. So, in 1940, Congress passed the "Buck Act", 4 U.S.C.S. Sections 105-113. In Section 110(e), this Act authorized any department of the federal government to create a "Federal area" for imposition of the "Public Salary Tax Act of 1939". This tax is imposed at 4 U.S.C.S. Sec. 111. The rest of the taxing law is found in the Internal Revenue Code. The Social Security Board had already created a "Federal area" overlay.

4 U.S.C.S. Sec. 110(d). The term "State" includes any Territory or possession of the United States.

4 U.S.C.S. Sec. 110(e). The term "Federal area" means any lands or premises held or acquired by or for the use of the United States or any department, establishment, or agency of the United States; and any Federal area, or any part thereof, which is located within the exterior boundaries of any State, shall be deemed to be a Federal area located within such State.

There is no reasonable doubt that the federal "State" is imposing an excise tax under the provisions of 4 U.S.C.S. Section 105, which states in pertinent part:

Sec. 105. State, and so forth, taxation affecting Federal areas; sales or use tax

(a) No person shall be relieved from liability for payment of, collection of, or accounting for any sales or use tax levied by any State, or by any duly constituted taxing authority therein, having jurisdiction to levy such tax, on the ground that the sale or use, with respect to which such tax is levied, occurred in whole or in part within a Federal area; and such State or taxing authority shall have full jurisdiction and power to levy and collect any such tax in any Federal area within such State to the same extent and with the same effect as though such area was not a Federal area.

Irrespective of what the tax is called, if its purpose is to produce revenue, it is an income tax or a receipts tax under the Buck Act [4 U.S.C.A. Secs. 105-110]. Humble Oil & Refining Co. v. Calvert, 464 SW 2d. 170 (1971), affd (Tex) 478 SW 2d. 926, cert. den. 409 U.S. 967, 34 L.Ed. 2d. 234, 93 S.Ct. 293.

Thus, the obvious question arises: What is a "Federal area"?

A "Federal area" is any area designated by any agency, department, or establishment of the federal government. This includes the Social Security areas designated by the Social Security Administration, any public housing area that has federal funding, a home that has a federal bank loan, a road that has federal funding, and almost everything that the federal government touches through any type of aid. Springfield v. Kenny, 104 N.E. 2d 65 (1951 App.). This "Federal area" attaches to anyone who has a Social Security Number or any personal contact with the federal or state governments. Through this mechanism, the federal government usurped the Sovereignty of the People, as well as the Sovereignty of the several states, by creating "Federal areas" within the boundaries of the states under the authority of Article 4, Section 3, Clause 2 (4:3:2) in the federal Constitution, which states:

2. The Congress shall have Power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States, and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to prejudice any claims of the United States, or of any particular State.

Therefore, all U.S. citizens [i.e. citizens of the District of Columbia] residing in one of the states of the Union, are classified as property, as franchisees of the federal government, and as an "individual entity". See Wheeling Steel Corp. v. Fox, 298 U.S. 193, 80 L.Ed. 1143, 56 S.Ct. 773. Under the "Buck Act", 4 U.S.C.S. Secs. 105-113, the federal government has created a "Federal area" within the boundaries of all the several states.

This area is similar to any territory that the federal government acquires through purchase, conquest or treaty, thereby imposing federal territorial law upon all people in this "Federal area". Federal territorial law is evidenced by the Executive Branch's yellow-fringed U.S. flag flying in schools, offices and all courtrooms.

You must live on land in one of the states in the Union of several states, not in any "Federal State" or "Federal area", nor can you be involved in any activity that would make you subject to "federal laws". You cannot have a valid Social Security Number, a "resident" driver's license, a motor vehicle registered in your name, a "federal" bank account, a Federal Register Account Number relating to Individual persons [SSN], (see Executive Order Number 9397, November 1943), or any other known "contract implied in fact" that would place you within any "Federal area" and thus within the territorial jurisdiction of the municipal laws of Congress. Remember, all acts of Congress are territorial in nature and only apply within the territorial jurisdiction of Congress. (See American Banana Co. v. United Fruit Co., 213 U.S. 347, 356-357 (1909); U.S. v. Spelar, 338 U.S. 217, 222, 94 L.Ed. 3, 70 S.Ct. 10 (1949); New York Central R.R. Co. v. Chisholm, 268 U.S. 29, 31-32, 69 L.Ed. 828, 45 S.Ct. 402 (1925).)

There has been created a fictional Federal "State within a state". See Howard v. Sinking Fund of Louisville, 344 U.S. 624, 73 S.Ct. 465, 476, 97 L.Ed. 617 (1953); Schwartz v. O'Hara TP. School Dist., 100 A. 2d. 621, 625, 375 Pa. 440. (Compare also 31 C.F.R. Parts 51.2 and 52.2, which also identify a fictional State within a state.) This fictional "State" is identified by the use of two-letter abbreviations like "CA", "AZ" and "TX", as distinguished from the authorized abbreviations like "Calif.", "Ariz." and "Tex.", etc. This fictional State also uses ZIP codes which are within the municipal, exclusive legislative jurisdiction of Congress.

This entire scheme was accomplished by passage of the "Buck Act", 4 U.S.C.S. Secs. 105-113, to implement the application of the "Public Salary Tax Act of 1939" to workers within the private sector. This subjects all private sector workers who have a Social Security number to all state and federal laws "within this State", a "fictional Federal area" overlaying the land in California and in all other states in the Union. In California, this is established by California Form 590, Revenue and Taxation.

All you have to do is to state that you live in California. This establishes that you do not live in a "Federal area" and that you are exempt from the Public Salary Tax Act of 1939 and also from the California Income Tax for residents who live "in this State".

The following definition is used throughout the several states in the application of their municipal laws which require some sort of contract for proper application. This definition is also included in all the codes of California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah and New York:

"In this State" or "in the State" means within the exterior limits of the State ... and includes all territories within such limits owned or ceded to the United States of America.

This definition concurs with the "Buck Act" supra which states:

110(d) The term "State" includes any Territory or possession of the United States.

110(e) The term "Federal area" means any lands or premises held or acquired by or for the use of the United States or any department, establishment, or agency of the United States; and any Federal area, or any part thereof, which is located within the exterior boundaries of any State, shall be deemed to be a Federal area located within such State.

So, do some research. I have given you all the proper directions in which to look for the jurisdictional nexus that places you within the purview of the federal government.

asurfaholic
07-04-2011, 08:04 AM
America - Freedom to Fascism

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orHVNUnRKlI

Carehn
07-04-2011, 08:10 AM
One day, if we are lucky we will see the IRS agents not being able to find work. I would not pay one of them to take my trash out. It should be a mark of sham they have for life. Like the scarlet letter.

People should go to work for the IRS in hopes its for life knowing that no one on the outside will ever deal with them in any way ever again. We should all look upon these people like you would look at a sick dog. What a sad excuse for a human.

After the revolution these IRS workers should have to leave the country or change names or something. The whole 'obeying orders' thing better not fly.