PDA

View Full Version : Rise Above

realtonygoodwin
07-03-2011, 04:47 PM
I posted this already in one of the forums that never gets read as much, so I decided to crosspost it here.

I am disappointed with some things I have been seeing from some of my fellow Ron Paul supporters. We have been rude, crude, deceptive, and therefore not being the best ambassadors for Ron Paul that we could be.

I have spent some time at Herman Cain's Facebook page, engaging his supporters. I openly declare myself as a Ron Paul supporter, then ask polite questions or make comments. I then stick around for follow up.
Multiple times I have heard "If more Ron Paul supporters were like you, I wouldn't hate you guys." Or "Ron Paul was my second choice, until you guys came here and were rude" etc. They were complaining about RP supporters just posting a link, either bashing Cain or promoting RP. Or, if they did engage in conversation, the RP supporters were confrontational, yelling (all caps) and using profanity.

I would like to see us all be honest in our postings, including thread titles. "Romney realizes Ron Paul is the frontrunner" and things like that, isn't honest. Spin everything positive, that's good. I get the search engine thing. But don't post lies.

Insulting other candidates, calling them "joke candidates," the Santorum jokes, and other ad hominem attacks - don't do it. We get angry when people marginalize Dr. Paul, and then we turn around and do the same thing? Attack a candidates record, lack of record, qualifications, whatever.

If you got to a big conference, like CPAC, or RLC, or whatever, don't just stick around for RP. Listen to the other speakers, clap politely, and don't boo. Show some respect.

This also goes back to throwing snowballs at people. I guarantee you it lost more votes than it gained, and was simply classless.

Just remember that in everything we do, we represent Ron Paul. So take the higher road, be the better person, deal fairly and honestly with all. Remember, the cream rises to the top.

It is time we rise above.

ChrisDixon
07-03-2011, 06:06 PM
+rep man, I wish I could do it more than once. THIS is EXACTLY what I've been telling people for a while. I've been engaging Cain and even Romney supporters, who even when openly hostile, I still remain calm. When all else fails, win them over with kindness.

I even had two Romney supporters, who started out the conversation calling supporters "Paulians" and Paul a series of crude names with baseless attacks, admit in the end how civil I was and wish more of the Paul base was like me.

I had one Cain supporter, a local here in Maine, who would always parade around Facebook calling Paul "Ru" and coming up with nothing but attacks. I never lost it once against her and eventually, people began to notice and even though they were not particularly fond of Paul, guess who they called out? The one who was acting childish and mature.

Let the ones who act out of control do so and let us never lose our calm. Then THEY look bad.

And guess what, Paul's more radical and unruly support base did him a lot of damage in 2008. Let's let the radical and unruly support bases in other camps be their damage.

It IS time we rise above. Politics is diplomacy. And right now, the Ron Paul base as a whole, is not looking good in the fight.

Sola_Fide
07-03-2011, 06:09 PM
I agree.

One of the failures of the liberty movement has been its own members and their rudeness. Who knows how many more inroads we could have made if some of us weren't idiots.

Paul4Prez
07-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Following Ron Paul's example and taking the high road is a good way to go in its own right, but it is also good strategy -- if we want to win over the supporters of some of the weaker candidates as those candidates drop out, it will be a lot easier to do if we treat them and their supporters with civility and class.

ChrisDixon
07-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Following Ron Paul's example and taking the high road is a good way to go in its own right, but it is also good strategy -- if we want to win over the supporters of some of the weaker candidates as those candidates drop out, it will be a lot easier to do if we treat them and their supporters with civility and class.

That is another good note to mention, too. I had a brief tweet conversation other night on Twitter with a woman who had called out Paul supporters rudeness. She had mentioned to me that she is upset not only because of their general conduct, but because they, in her words, tend to derail candidates who they otherwise agree with 90 percent of the time. As I tell many people, I told her that this is not representative of the overall base and has been a concern brought up from time to time.

Not only does this give Paul a bad name and give the media something to seize on, this alienates potential supporters in other camps. And when we're trying to WIN an election, this is the absolute LAST thing you want to be doing.

YumYum
07-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Good manners begin at home. We should start by being nice and polite to each here on RPFs before we try winning over supporters of other candidates.

FSP-Rebel
07-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Maxed out rep on this thread, good points by all.

realtonygoodwin
07-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Good manners begin at home. We should start by being nice and polite to each here on RPFs before we try winning over supporters of other candidates.

Agreed.

Paulistinian
07-03-2011, 06:52 PM
In 2007, Michael Medved was fond of referring to Ron Paul's supporters as "Paulistinians". Fuck him. I like being a Paulistinian.

Sola_Fide
07-03-2011, 07:01 PM
In 2007, Michael Medved was fond of referring to Ron Paul's supporters as "Paulistinians". Fuck him. I like being a Paulistinian.

One thing I give Hannity is that he isn't a complete ass like Medved and Hugh Hewitt are.

PaulConventionWV
07-03-2011, 07:24 PM
I posted this already in one of the forums that never gets read as much, so I decided to crosspost it here.

I am disappointed with some things I have been seeing from some of my fellow Ron Paul supporters. We have been rude, crude, deceptive, and therefore not being the best ambassadors for Ron Paul that we could be.

I have spent some time at Herman Cain's Facebook page, engaging his supporters. I openly declare myself as a Ron Paul supporter, then ask polite questions or make comments. I then stick around for follow up.
Multiple times I have heard "If more Ron Paul supporters were like you, I wouldn't hate you guys." Or "Ron Paul was my second choice, until you guys came here and were rude" etc. They were complaining about RP supporters just posting a link, either bashing Cain or promoting RP. Or, if they did engage in conversation, the RP supporters were confrontational, yelling (all caps) and using profanity.

I would like to see us all be honest in our postings, including thread titles. "Romney realizes Ron Paul is the frontrunner" and things like that, isn't honest. Spin everything positive, that's good. I get the search engine thing. But don't post lies.

Insulting other candidates, calling them "joke candidates," the Santorum jokes, and other ad hominem attacks - don't do it. We get angry when people marginalize Dr. Paul, and then we turn around and do the same thing? Attack a candidates record, lack of record, qualifications, whatever.

If you got to a big conference, like CPAC, or RLC, or whatever, don't just stick around for RP. Listen to the other speakers, clap politely, and don't boo. Show some respect.

This also goes back to throwing snowballs at people. I guarantee you it lost more votes than it gained, and was simply classless.

Just remember that in everything we do, we represent Ron Paul. So take the higher road, be the better person, deal fairly and honestly with all. Remember, the cream rises to the top.

It is time we rise above.

I agree, for the most part, but I don't think you can help it, really. If people are passionate about something, there is bound to be an outpouring of that passion. Some people will say they're not going to vote for Paul because of his supporters simply to piss people off and get them off their back. Most likely, these people weren't going to vote for him anyway.

afwjam
07-03-2011, 07:34 PM
I agree, for the most part, but I don't think you can help it, really. If people are passionate about something, there is bound to be an outpouring of that passion. Some people will say they're not going to vote for Paul because of his supporters simply to piss people off and get them off their back. Most likely, these people weren't going to vote for him anyway.

Agreed.

XTreat
07-03-2011, 07:35 PM
I agree I say this all the time.

Carehn
07-03-2011, 07:59 PM
I don't agree. Sue me.

libertybrewcity
07-03-2011, 08:02 PM
I think people should be respectful at all times. There is no reason to be obnoxious.

outspoken
07-03-2011, 08:31 PM
If you are trying to influence people and all they see is a bunch of rude jerkoffs, the message will not get heard. Most civilized people are moderates politically just because the just don't know philosophy. They just go along with who they like and makes them feel good about the group they choose to be a part of. Make them like you first and foremost... The way to most people's brain is through their emotions and so if you are offensive you just embolden the group you are trying to lead people away from.

amy31416
07-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Theme song for thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXQtl0ypU44

Tinnuhana
07-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Remember the movie Hidalgo when this Arab asks the American how long it took him to break his horse, and he replies, "I didn't"? I think many of us are like that horse, enjoying our freedom. Then along comes Ron Paul and all of a sudden we begin to understand just what freedom is in the context of society. He is not going to usurp that freedom, but we are going to have to make a conscious decision to work with him, each other, and his campaign to deliver a primary victory. This is not a victory over Romney, Bachmann, or anyone else. This is a fight against servitude to a lie. I think if we keep this big picture in our mind, it will keep us on track in our reactions to much of the pettiness in politics that's easy to get sucked into.

Koz
07-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Total plus rep. I couldn't have said it better myself.

libertarian4321
07-05-2011, 07:09 AM
Insulting other candidates, calling them "joke candidates," the Santorum jokes,

I'm going to need clarification on this.

I think you are saying it's okay to attack Santorum on his nutty extremist right wing social conservative/neocon political agenda, but that we should refrain from mentioning that Santorum has slept with a corpse (which is true) and not ask people to "Google Santorum?"

realtonygoodwin
07-05-2011, 03:25 PM
I would say don't refer to him as "nutty extremist"

Sweman
07-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Remember the movie Hidalgo when this Arab asks the American how long it took him to break his horse, and he replies, "I didn't"? I think many of us are like that horse, enjoying our freedom. Then along comes Ron Paul and all of a sudden we begin to understand just what freedom is in the context of society. He is not going to usurp that freedom, but we are going to have to make a conscious decision to work with him, each other, and his campaign to deliver a primary victory. This is not a victory over Romney, Bachmann, or anyone else. This is a fight against servitude to a lie. I think if we keep this big picture in our mind, it will keep us on track in our reactions to much of the pettiness in politics that's easy to get sucked into.
Very good. +rep

Paul Or Nothing II
07-06-2011, 02:41 AM
If you are trying to influence people and all they see is a bunch of rude jerkoffs, the message will not get heard. Most civilized people are moderates politically just because the just don't know philosophy. They just go along with who they like and makes them feel good about the group they choose to be a part of. Make them like you first and foremost... The way to most people's brain is through their emotions and so if you are offensive you just embolden the group you are trying to lead people away from.

+1

Revolution9
07-06-2011, 06:30 AM
Caution. The amount of passive aggressive broad brushing and nebulous finger pointing, coupled to unabashed back slapping in this thread is dangerous to your liberty and sense of realistic interaction actually occurring in the field.

Rev9

Elwar
07-06-2011, 06:36 AM
One thing I give Hannity is that he isn't a complete ass like Medved and Hugh Hewitt are.

I agree, he isn't a complete ass...just the hole part.

Revolution9
07-06-2011, 08:27 AM
I agree, he isn't a complete ass...just the hole part.

You misspelled "whole".

HTH
Rev9

pacelli
07-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Caution. The amount of passive aggressive broad brushing and nebulous finger pointing, coupled to unabashed back slapping in this thread is dangerous to your liberty and sense of realistic interaction actually occurring in the field.

Rev9

indeed! +rep.

realtonygoodwin
07-28-2011, 01:01 PM

Rev9

What do you mean?

realtonygoodwin
08-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Bumping for a friendly reminder and to let some of the new folks see this.

JK/SEA
08-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Bumping for a friendly reminder and to let some of the new folks see this.

Before you all sign into RPF, don't forget to brush your teeth, comb your hair, and put on a suit and tie. And for gawd sakes, please...everyone...learhn to spel...

JK/SEA
08-09-2011, 02:53 PM

Rev9

+rep

lucky_bg
08-09-2011, 03:03 PM

+ rep

eaglesfan48
08-29-2011, 06:11 PM

+1 Reps all around.

Bump, I think this is very important for us.

Akus
08-29-2011, 06:25 PM

I am disappointed with some things I have been seeing from some of my fellow Ron Paul supporters. We have been rude, crude, deceptive, and therefore not being the best ambassadors for Ron Paul that we could be....

I am all up for rational discussions, but, when I debate RP on Off Topic, the crap that people post is so asinine, and ignorant that you really can't help but call these people stupid. This is not even an insult, more like a diagnosis. I mean, if you argue over something that has no more then one interpretation, and the person insists that the earth is flat and rests on a giant turtle (I am being figurative obviously), and you show them the numbers and the data and all you hear is some nonsensical non sequitir, you can't really do anything.

RDM
08-29-2011, 06:40 PM
In the heat of discussion, some can get carried away with the abrasive language. I know I'm seeing it on DIGG from some forum members here.(Not all) There is a way to be tactful in responding to someone who is obnoxious online and still get your point across. But name calling just makes us all look bad. I think we all just need to remember we are representing Ron Paul. Our actions and our language either help or hurt his chances.

scrosnoe
08-29-2011, 06:47 PM
Bumping this thread because it is needed today -- please everyone read and ponder the downstream ramifications of what is posted and said and done in public spaces. We win friends by our words our deeds/actions and our spirit -- any of these can work for us or against us. Let's be sure we are making them work for us and win people to our side who were once in another camp or of a different political persuasion or just asleep. Try to remember a time before you understand some of the things that are second nature and what it was that made you able to 'see' clearly now.

Even those who see clearly will not stay around if the language is foul and disrespectul of others. I have been very close to leaving RPFs over recent days just not wanting to wade through all the garbage to find the pearls. Maybe I should have said more but I do believe in free speech. I just do not wish to expose myself or my friends to certain venues and am careful what I recommend. We can either moniter ourselves and clean up our act -- especially what is front page and hitting the feeds -- or we will pay a high price and harm the good doctor too.

I for one will insist on it or go dark here. So I thank you all for this most positive thread! I will be posting this comment wherever I find bad behavior in the future to guide people here. I know that most of those incidents are by dissidents sent in to cause trouble here, but they still must be dealt with politely and firmly and rapidly by the moderators.

*1 rep to OP

deadfish
08-29-2011, 07:56 PM
To those that say "well it doesn't matter, so-and-so person would never vote for Paul anyway", there is something you are not thinking about.

Neoconservatives and Neoliberals are figuratively carrying the burden of half-truths, falsehood, propaganda, etc... on their shoulders. Eventually the weight becomes too much to bear and and eventually opinions can change. If we use that moment to instead, hold them to their past beliefs and insult them, then they will be less inclined to abandon their allegiance to the status quo. It is human nature to hesitate to admit you are wrong. It's easier when you have support waiting for you on the other side.

More importantly, you may never convince the person you are debating with, but on the internet especially, you could be changing the opinion of an anonymous reader with every post.

realtonygoodwin
08-30-2011, 10:52 PM
To those that say "well it doesn't matter, so-and-so person would never vote for Paul anyway", there is something you are not thinking about.

Neoconservatives and Neoliberals are figuratively carrying the burden of half-truths, falsehood, propaganda, etc... on their shoulders. Eventually the weight becomes too much to bear and and eventually opinions can change. If we use that moment to instead, hold them to their past beliefs and insult them, then they will be less inclined to abandon their allegiance to the status quo. It is human nature to hesitate to admit you are wrong. It's easier when you have support waiting for you on the other side.

More importantly, you may never convince the person you are debating with, but on the internet especially, you could be changing the opinion of an anonymous reader with every post.

+Rep

CaptainAmerica
08-30-2011, 11:36 PM

It is time we rise above. Maybe you should tell the Herman Cain Train to stop hating us .If they don't vote for Ron Paul because of the "voters" then they are lost anyhow and I need not call them by the word I'm thinking.

realtonygoodwin
08-30-2011, 11:45 PM
Why would you want to lose potential voters just because you don't feel like being classy? It makes no sense, unless you are trying to sabotage all we have all worked so hard for...

wstrucke
08-31-2011, 12:04 AM
If everyone with a superiority complex would just read this book (http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/1439167346) we could put this to rest and move on with the campaign.

wstrucke
08-31-2011, 12:05 AM
--

realtonygoodwin
02-07-2012, 11:54 PM
If everyone with a superiority complex would just read this book (http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/1439167346) we could put this to rest and move on with the campaign.

+rep.

also, Zombie thread!