PDA

View Full Version : Can The Gov Mandate Obese People Go To Weight Watchers? ABC Panel Says "It's Open"

Immortal Technique
07-03-2011, 09:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRiw3ahgqls

WARNING !!! WATCHING THIS VIDEO MAY RESULT IN THE EXPLOSION OF ONES HEAD

Airing Date July.03, 2011

Can The Gov Mandate Obese People Go To Weight Watchers? ABC Panel Says "It's Open"

Sola_Fide
07-03-2011, 09:36 AM
That was the worst video I've ever watched.

Our country is doomed. Seriously...

acptulsa
07-03-2011, 10:19 AM
And if the person has a hypoactive thyroid? Is it not enough that they have to endure the attention of unofficial ignoramouses, without the added blessing of official bureaucratic ignoramouses as well?

There's nothing compassionate about federal liberalism. Not any more. Don't know if there ever was, but it sure is becoming bloody obvious.

Hotchney
07-03-2011, 12:08 PM
This is awful.

matt0611
07-03-2011, 12:18 PM
We have "assault weapons" and "violent video games" now.

Throw out the constitution! Lololol

Commanding robotic machines to go blow up stuff in another country doesn't necessarily mean its war lulz!

Oh my god, we are so fucked.

AGRP
07-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Not surprised at all.

Things like this are the next logical conclusion to obamacare.

dannno
07-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Statist: The state asks us to do all kinds of things.. It asks us..

Interviewer: Mandates.

Statist: It ASKS us to pay our taxes..

PineGroveDave
07-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Interesting and not entirely surprising. In May of last year I was given a "wake up call" by my doctor. I was 50lbs overweight (obese), on blood pressure and cholesterol meds and the blood test I just took then (May 2010) indicated that I was on the fast track to diabetes. My doctor gave me a choice...Go on more meds or take 3 months and see if I can turn my overall health around. In my book, this was a no-brainer as I am a former bodybuilder/trainer (back in my early 30's...I'm 51 now).

I set out on a strict diet/exercise regimen that, within 3 months, got me down 30lbs and a spot on perfect blood test. I'm now completely off meds, I went on to lose an additional 20 lbs and then packed on 20lbs of lean mass (muscle). I run almost daily, I eat clean, I feel better now than I ever have...BUT!

The choice was mine. Nobody told me I had to do it. I did it because I wanted to. Today, I post regularly about how fucked America is regarding diet and how we're on the fast track, as a nation, to making big pharma wealthy because of all the tens of millions that will soon be Type 2 diabetic as a result of sedentary lifestyles and crappy diet...However, I would never want to force someone to change. Today, I help people with weight loss and fitness (side job)...but I only help those who want to help themselves.

The idea that this is even being discussed (not surprising) is sickening.

PineGroveDave
07-03-2011, 01:07 PM
On a related note...What is even more insidious and sinister is the fact that "Big Agra" and Washington have a very incestuous relationship. Many of the appointed officials of the FDA are former "Big Agra" execs who contributed to campaigns. These folks are now "regulating" the food industry. Now...here we have discussion about obesity, but we're not addressing the "behind the curtain" issues about how the very same gov't that may soon have the power to control our weight, control our fucking food! Think corn! High Fructose Corn Syrup! Fructose is more easily converted to fat than any other sugar by the liver! And we have a gov't that is subsidizing corn production! We have a Supreme Court that has given Monsanto the right to patent and own soybeans! They're now killing small farmers by suing them out of existence for patent infringement (cross pollinated from adjacent fields). Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas was a former Monsanto attorney for the record and not surprisingly voted in favor of Monsanto.

So we've got a gov't that will control our food, control what we eat, and make big agra and big pharma richer than they already are....nice. Watch "Food, Inc." if you haven't already. My wife and I are making measures to grow our own food and chickens now.

TIMB0B
07-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Not surprised at all.

Was going to say the same thing. Will we see something like cap and tax? Like, fat and trade, perhaps?

LibertyEagle
07-03-2011, 01:09 PM
This is what we get when we allow the federal government to takeover healthcare.

jm1776
07-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Everything having to do with health care does cross state boundaries

WTF?

Right, everything except I can't even buy health insurance across state lines.

Happy 4th, ya'll

TIMB0B
07-03-2011, 01:25 PM
BTW, is "Weight Watchers" even considered a healthy diet plan?

PineGroveDave
07-03-2011, 01:51 PM
BTW, is "Weight Watchers" even considered a healthy diet plan?

It's actually not too bad. I've reviewed many of the so-called "programs" and WW is actually a healthier program than many.

angrydragon
07-03-2011, 01:57 PM
The gov. should mandate it's own fat workers to go on weight watchers. SG Regina Benjamin, I'm looking at you!

aGameOfThrones
07-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Roads are necessary in war; therefore congress may legislate locally concerning roads. Victuals, manufactures, and a certain state of national manners, are more necessary in war; therefore congress may legislate locally, concerning agriculture, manufactures and manners. The favour of the Deity is more necessary than either; therefore congress may provide salaries for priests of all denominations, in order to obtain it, without infringing the constitutional prohibition against an establishment; or they may incorporate sects, and exempt them from taxation. Roads are more necessary for collecting taxes than even banks. Taverns are very necessary or convenient for the officers of the army, congress themselves, the conveyance of the mail, and the accommodation of judges. But horses are undoubtedly more necessary for the conveyance of the mail and for war, than roads, which may be as convenient to assailants as defenders; and therefore the principle of an implied power of legislation, will certainly invest congress with a legislative power over horses. In short, this mode of construction completely establishes the position, that congress may pass any internal law whatsoever in relation to things, because there is nothing with which, war, commerce and taxation may not be closely or remotely connected.~John Taylor

//

Anti Federalist
07-03-2011, 03:35 PM
+rep for that Game.

It's really a no brainer, of course they can, if approached from the statist angle.

If government can mandate that you buy something you do not want, can regulate and micro manage to the point of telling you how much water you are allowed in your toilet, let alone "black bagging" you and "rendering" off to some foreign shit hole for torture, then it stands to reason they think they can can mandate people go to fat camp.

And the idiots will accept this just as blindly and willingly as they have accepted every other tyranny that has come down the pike over the last decades.

and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed

Just as true today as it was when it was written 235 years ago.

Roads are necessary in war; therefore congress may legislate locally concerning roads. Victuals, manufactures, and a certain state of national manners, are more necessary in war; therefore congress may legislate locally, concerning agriculture, manufactures and manners. The favour of the Deity is more necessary than either; therefore congress may provide salaries for priests of all denominations, in order to obtain it, without infringing the constitutional prohibition against an establishment; or they may incorporate sects, and exempt them from taxation. Roads are more necessary for collecting taxes than even banks. Taverns are very necessary or convenient for the officers of the army, congress themselves, the conveyance of the mail, and the accommodation of judges. But horses are undoubtedly more necessary for the conveyance of the mail and for war, than roads, which may be as convenient to assailants as defenders; and therefore the principle of an implied power of legislation, will certainly invest congress with a legislative power over horses. In short, this mode of construction completely establishes the position, that congress may pass any internal law whatsoever in relation to things, because there is nothing with which, war, commerce and taxation may not be closely or remotely connected.~John Taylor

Rael
07-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Let's put the federal budget on weight watchers.

LibertyEagle
07-03-2011, 04:12 PM

No, it needs a starvation diet.

amy31416
07-03-2011, 04:16 PM
No, it needs a starvation diet.

And a whole mess o' enemas.

squarepusher
07-03-2011, 04:19 PM
ok, in a free market society, should an employer be able to mandate that his employees join WW if they are overweight?

Diurdi
07-03-2011, 04:58 PM
ok, in a free market society, should an employer be able to mandate that his employees join WW if they are overweight? Depends on the contract between the employer and the employee.

But the basic premise is that the business belongs to the employer(s), they get to decide who works for them.

Anti Federalist
07-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Depends on the contract between the employer and the employee.

But the basic premise is that the business belongs to the employer(s), they get to decide who works for them.

And when big business oligarchy, which is closely tied into the government oligarchy, mandates that you renounce your beliefs and attend the company church twice a week, and every business does the same thing, then you have the right to starve.

Or go to church.

Corporate tyranny is as bad as government tyranny.

QueenB4Liberty
07-03-2011, 07:11 PM
And when big business oligarchy, which is closely tied into the government oligarchy, mandates that you renounce your beliefs and attend the company church twice a week, and every business does the same thing, then you have the right to starve.

Or go to church.

Corporate tyranny is as bad as government tyranny.

QFT. Thank you. +rep for you again!

And this is disturbing. I wonder when this will actually make it to Congress.

free.alive
07-03-2011, 07:39 PM
"Can The Gov Mandate Obese People Go To Weight Watchers?"

The government can mandate you do whatever they damn well please. What? You got a problem with that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sei-eEjy4g (THE government anthem.)

pcosmar
07-03-2011, 07:41 PM
This is the kind of mindset we are up against.

:(

headhawg7
07-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Not surprised at all.

Yep....that is why the fight against the individual mandate in obamacare is critical. If the govt can mandate people buy insurance and use the commerce clause to do it then we are indeed screwed. How the hell are people who are not engaged in commerce being forced under the commerce clause to purchase a good/service? Once the precedent has been set then this is what future court decisions will look to when gauging constitutionality of a law. If the US supreme court upholds the law then these type of laws and tyranny by politicians and bureaucrats will run rampant.

jm1776
07-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Yep....that is why the fight against the individual mandate in obamacare is critical. If the govt can mandate people buy insurance and use the commerce clause to do it then we are indeed screwed. How the hell are people who are not engaged in commerce being forced under the commerce clause to purchase a good/service? Once the precedent has been set then this is what future court decisions will look to when gauging constitutionality of a law. If the US supreme court upholds the law then these type of laws and tyranny by politicians and bureaucrats will run even more rampant.

QFT with a minor edit

osan
07-03-2011, 08:42 PM

Liposuction.

headhawg7
07-04-2011, 02:15 AM
QFT with a minor edit

Thanks....good catch.

Don Lapre
07-04-2011, 03:17 AM
What kind of a friggin' 'roundtable' is this?
Four liberals and George (the neutered cat conservative) Will.

Just pitiful.

AZKing
07-04-2011, 03:17 AM
I'm guessing Congressional members would be exempt from such a mandate. I guarantee at least half of them are overweight or obese by BMI.

Hell, they all have government healthcare already. Why haven't they already subject to such a mandate? Oh, right...