PDA

View Full Version : This is not good - Herman Cain raises $2.5M in just weeks for 2012 Presidential bid!

Delegate2
07-03-2011, 08:19 AM
He is raising serious money in a very short time, we need to step up our game and be prepared to bring his supporters to Ron Paul. 27,000 donors in 1 month really?

ATLANTA — Businessman and former conservative talk show radio host Herman Cain has raised almost $2.5 million in the first weeks of his presidential bid and says he has no campaign debt.

Spokeswoman Ellen Carmichael says the total includes more than 27,000 nationwide online donations. Carmichael says Cain did put some of his own money in, but described it as "only a fraction" of the total and "modest seed money."

The latest fundraising quarter ended Thursday. The official deadline to file with the Federal Elections Commission is July 15.

More : http://www.hermancainforums.com/index.php?topic=201.0

Zatch
07-03-2011, 08:22 AM
It's because he's had a lot of conservative pundits like Hannity, Boortz etc. promoting him. He's had a lot of help so its not very impressive.

newyearsrevolution08
07-03-2011, 08:25 AM
Herman Cain isn't going to get anywhere in this election

next...

smartguy911
07-03-2011, 08:30 AM
Cain did put some of his own money in, but described it as "only a fraction" of the total and "modest seed money."

Let me guess he put 500,000 or maybe a $1 million of his own money

rp08orbust
07-03-2011, 08:33 AM
99/100 = 99% is "only a fraction". It could mean anything.

Maximus
07-03-2011, 08:44 AM
I bet he raised most of that immediately after the first debate.

hillertexas
07-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Herman Cain Lacks Donations, Abandoned by Key Staffers
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/173380/20110702/herman-cain-staffer-quit-campaign-raised.htm

http://blogs.cbn.com/thebrodyfile/archive/2011/03/18/herman-cain-on-romney-his-money-advantage-doesnt-necessarily-guarantee.aspx

I’ve had to put in a little bit of seed money of my own which I didn’t mind doing.
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/173417/20110702/herman-cain-raises-2-5-million-in-donations.htm

I have had to put a little bit of money in, in order to prime the pump," Cain told Fox News' Neil Cavuto on Thursday.

affa
07-03-2011, 09:53 AM
Carmichael says Cain did put some of his own money in, but described it as "only a fraction" of the total and "modest seed money."

As others have pointed out, this alone makes the larger number meaningless. Anything under 100 percent is a fraction, and we'd all define modestly differently. $10 million would be relatively 'modest' to a billionaire.

jp5065
07-03-2011, 10:03 AM
As others have pointed out, this alone makes the larger number meaningless. Anything under 100 percent is a fraction, and we'd all define modestly differently. $10 million would be relatively 'modest' to a billionaire.

100/100 is still a fraction :)

sailingaway
07-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Cain had manufactured grass roots, someone was backing him, my understanding is it was the Kochs, as one of their irons in the fire (but this is just internet scuttlebutt.) I'm not surprised he got a certain amount of money with his Fox supported rise after the debate. And yes, we need to get Ron as much money as possible. But I don't think Cain is going to last. It is the others we need to fund Ron to compete with.

And remember he was a media personality, if a local one to Georgia. He had his version of 'dittoheads' although I don't know what they were called, but I'm sure they supported him. And he had had donors, surely, in his state Senate race, that he called on. That support was preexisting to this election cycle.

Sola_Fide
07-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Cain had manufactured grass roots, someone was backing him, my understanding is it was the Kochs, as one of their irons in the fire (but this is just internet scuttlebutt.) I'm not surprised he got a certain amount of money with his Fox supported rise after the debate. And yes, we need to get Ron as much money as possible. But I don't think Cain is going to last. It is the others we need to fund Ron to compete with.

The Kochs backed Cain? That really pisses me off if true:(

ronpaulhawaii
07-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Cain, also, recently attended a NYC big donor event. Has he mentioned that?

Matthew Zak
07-03-2011, 10:59 AM
If Cain gets the nomination and people can't see how rigged this whole thing is there is zero hope of ever waking these ashleeple up.

sailingaway
07-03-2011, 11:00 AM
The Kochs backed Cain? That really pisses me off if true:(

You will note that Daily Caller and Reason while pushing Gary generally have kind words about Cain as well. Much nicer than about Ron, where there is usually a qualification that swallows any praise (except with Doherty.) I started to notice that after I read a few things like this one by thinkprogress (and th-p needs to be read with not so much a grain of salt, but deep suspicion. Still their links seem good.) h xxp://thinkprogress.org/green/2011/06/07/238840/herman-cain-to-headline-koch-attack-on-climate-program-in-new-york/ One of their links, "Wall Street Titan Ken Langone, GOP Presidential Candidate Herman Cain At Koch Brothers Meeting" h xxp://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/01/30/141486/langone-cain-koch/

– The first “serious” GOP contender for the presidency, Herman Cain, is at the Koch meeting. Cain, a talk show host and former CEO of Godfather’s Pizza, has been a frequent guest at events sponsored by Koch front groups like Americans for Prosperity.

So, I'm not sure, because this IS Thinkprogress we are talking about, but Reason and DC seem to uncharacteristically favor him, with mild disclaimers, and he was invited to the AFP stuff Ron wasn't invited to, so it could be true.

Delegate2
07-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Herman Cain Lacks Donations, Abandoned by Key Staffers
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/173380/20110702/herman-cain-staffer-quit-campaign-raised.htm

http://blogs.cbn.com/thebrodyfile/archive/2011/03/18/herman-cain-on-romney-his-money-advantage-doesnt-necessarily-guarantee.aspx

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/173417/20110702/herman-cain-raises-2-5-million-in-donations.htm

How much did he personally put in? let's say it's $250,000 for arguments sake, he still raised over 2 million in 4 to 5 weeks, we should be concerned about this and keep an eye on it instead of brushing it off.

Matthew Zak
07-03-2011, 11:12 AM
How much did he personally put in? let's say it's $250,000 for arguments sake, he still raised over 2 million in 4 to 5 weeks, we should be concerned about this and keep an eye on it instead of brushing it off.

What can we possibly do about it though? Our objective shouldn't be worrying about other candidates, it should be canvassing, word of mouth, on behalf of Ron Paul. I think the GOP knows that in a battle between Obama and Cain, Obama will win. He's the more charming candidate and he's already established a relationship with his electorate as well as his lobbyist friends. Besides, there are probably a chunk of people in the south who will skip voting if their choices are Obama and Cain. Come to think of it, maybe this is why Cain is in this race? Damn...

hueylong
07-03-2011, 11:19 AM
I think Cain is finished. His people all quit. The money he raised was early. He has peaked already.

I agree with the people who say we need to focus on what we are doing and not worry so much about the other candidates.

sailingaway
07-03-2011, 11:34 AM

it is the 2 to 4 weeks part I can't see. But say he got a million in the week after his debate in SC. that magic moment is not returning, for him.

Fundraising for Ron should always be a priority, however.

JamesButabi
07-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Cain doesn't worry me at all. He doesn't even have a fake foundation of a plan like most candidates. He has NO foundation.

Badger Paul
07-03-2011, 03:43 PM
it is the 2 to 4 weeks part I can't see. But say he got a million in the week after his debate in SC. that magic moment is not returning, for him.

And without another debate between now and the day before the straw poll, there's no chance for him to recreate such a moment or take advantage of one.

Johncjackson
07-03-2011, 06:28 PM
What is the point here? Ron Paul raised more money and had more small donors in the same period of time. Who cares about what Cain raised? Anyone who raised less than Paul this quarter and was around for the first debate is a disappointment. Might have to worry about Bachmann and other newcomers, but why is anyone threatened by candidates who got media push and raised less than Paul?

libertybrewcity
07-03-2011, 08:07 PM
I'd only be worried about Bachwoman or Palin. They can raise some mullah. And Romss obviously.