PDA

View Full Version : 6 steps to fixing education (reposted in general politics for more traffic)

Legend1104
07-03-2011, 12:13 AM
It is no secret that education in our society is in shambles in modern America. America consistanly falls in the bottom of the list of modernized countries in the area of education. Meanwhile, the television, Congress, and the White House is full of people who think they know the answers to fix this horrible problem. These people all know what is best even though none have ever been in a classroom as a teacher, adminstrator, or assistant. Oddly enough, the answers tend to be the same 3 things: more government control, more money, more technology.

Let me say one thing before I start. I am offering my views and advice as a current school teacher in one of our "wonderful" public schools. I in no way mean to imply that one must be a teacher in order to understand the problem, but I do stress the benefit of the incites that I have gained through my career. The first two on my list are obvious and well known to this forum. Therefore, I will list them first to get that out of the way. The other steps on my list deal with the major underlying problem facing our schools, value. This idea is so commonplace that it has been forgotten. Education in America has absolutely no value anymore when it comes to public schools. College education still holds value to many, but, as you will see, that has to do with the exact problems that I will address in the proceeding list. When we are able to restore value in education by ridding ourselves of those very policies that rob that value, we will see education in America become what was always meant to be. Let us begin.

1. First, get rid of the harmful teachers unions. Believe it or not, this is not as widespread of a problem as many think. I, for example, live in MS where there is not an official state recognized Teachers Union. That being said, unions are still a big problem in many states and I don't need to enumerate the problems they can create.

2. Get the federal government and state government out of the way. Local schools run by the communties and parents whose children attend them are the most responsible.

3. End mandatory school attendance. This idea of mandatory school attendance is now so commonplace that most think it is evil to even speak such a thing, but truthfully, many teachers that I talk to tend to agree. By ending mandatory attendance we are fixing one of the biggest mistakes in American education. Many kids today don't care about going to school and would prefer not too. What is the problem with that? Some would argue that they are too young to understand the danger of not getting an education. I recall a funny yet inciteful story about John Adams. When he was a kid his father sent him to school. He hated it and told his father that he did not want to go back. So, Mr. Adams told John ok, and said that he could come and work in the fields instead. The next morning he woke up John and made him work all day. At the end of the day Mr. Adams told John that if he didn't go to school he would be working in the fields instead. John immediately went back to school the very next day, studied hard, and became the man we read about in our history books that helped shape our nation. "Some parents don't care about their kids," some critics say, "and would not send them if it was not for the government." And? I don't see this as a problem that can really be fixed by the government. Even with mandatory attendance, dropout rates are still extremely high in this country. Futhermore, those that go against their will, tend to become distractions to those that want to learn. Therefore, mandatory attendance actually hurts more students than it helps. Yet, for those that still would prefer a less liberty/libertarian answer to this problem, I have another solution later in the list.

4. End the use of tax money for public schools. I see two possible options for this step.
One, the more libertarian answer: end all taxes for public schools. Allow a voluntary system to exist in which people that want to send students to school can, and my grandmaw does not have to skip her meds because she lost all her money paying taxes to support a kid she doesn't even know go to school and get an "F" because he doesn't even want to be there.
Two, the less libertarian and easiest to achieve answer: vouchers. Have all tax payers pay into the system. At the end of the year send them a voucher in the amount of the tax money they paid into the system. They can then use this voucher in any education manner they choose: homeschooling, public schooling, private schooling, private tutors, whatever. The voucher can only be used to pay tuition fees. They simply show proof that they are sending their kid to school and that is it. The voucher can only be exchanged if you have no student in school. It can then be applied as a tax break.

5.End the outdated, unworkable grade system. Many people that are not in education do not see the horrors of this problem. I did not understand how a kid could go 13 years in a public school and not learn how to read, until about a month into my first year as a teacher. Our public schools are based on the idea that a student is grouped according to age and not skills. Therefore, the ideal for success for a student is not acquiring certain skills or knowledge but rather passing on to the next grade. I am not lying when I tell you that I have personally witnessed administrators urging teachers to do everything in his/her power to pass a student. I have been at schools that never gave a grade lower than a “50” on anything. A student could turn in a blank page and teachers were instructed by the district to give at least a “50”. Passing at that time was a “60”! I have personally had to go back and allow students to make up missing assignments from months passed that they did not complete, even when it was out of nothing other than laziness. I have been told to stop giving homework, and have been reprimanded because I had too many failing students. Schools need to be restructured away from grade levels and towards skill levels. The curriculum needs to be reduced to skills and not content. They need to push a few basic skills on lower levels, and students should only be allowed to pass if they have reached no less than 85-90% proficiency. Smarter students would pass quickly and slower students would remain on the skills until they are successful as well. Even if this means that some students take years to pass the lower levels, it is still better than having them pass quickly and never learn to even read.

6. Divide the school system into 3 levels. If public schools are to remain in existence they should at least be able to work. Granted, under ideal circumstances they would be run and funded by communities like in the past, but we do not live in ideal circumstances.
6-1The first level is the primary level. This level could be open to any student that is willing to attend. It should focus only on basic skills: reading, writing, basic arithmetic, critical thinking skills, reasoning skills, and any other basic skill deemed important by parents and communities. History, Science, Gym, Choir, and Band should not be taught at this level when the basics are so much more important.
6-2 The next level should not be open to all children. Students that want to attend should be made to apply like in a college. Only students with the right skills would be accepted. This level would be further divided into two sub-levels. The first would be basic classes in history, science, literature, computer skills, and other basic area courses. Then they would each be given aptitude and interest inventory tests to determine what they are most interested in. In the second sub-level they would be allowed to choose an area of interest that is geared towards certain jobs and careers. The point of this level is to help students better develop an idea about what they want to do in life. Many students enter college without a single clue what they want to do. One of the main reasons is that they were never able to explore and pursue an area that interested them. Therefore, they never were able to develop any ideas about their future. This is far superior to just throwing every single class at a student and making them learn useless skills like chemistry or calculus when they are going to be a manager at McDonalds.
6-3 Level three would an offshoot of level 2. This level would be strictly career based and would resemble something closer to a vocational school than a typical high school. Students would enter this level in a certain area. I have not explored this idea in depth so I will just give an example. They could enter an area geared towards the sciences. They could be trained in anatomy, chemistry, health, and other health sciences. This student would then be well prepared to enter fields such as nursing, medicine, pharmacy, or other medical fields. They could become an apprentice of a trained trade skill teacher to learn about welding, electrical work, etc. This would prepare a student to ether go on to work in some trade. You get the idea.

I know this is long, but I believe that by following these 6 steps America could turn around this countries education and also produce an informed, freer society of people who are not slaves to the government. Even if you do not agree with the entirety of my assessment, I am sure that you will find that this approach is far superior and less egregious to our liberties than our current system. I look forward to your comments and suggestions.

Legend.

Paulatized
07-03-2011, 04:47 AM
The most effective way to achieve these steps, imho, would be to bypass numbers 1, 2 and 4 by starting a private school. I know the free market work can't work as it should when the government has a monopoly on education and I don't see it happening any other way. In essence what you have described is a private school situation. I also work in the public school system and understand where you are coming from. We in MS are going to the National Common Core standards and that is just another step away from state control, not to mention local control.

Some good thoughts though, thanks for sharing.

newyearsrevolution08
07-03-2011, 07:47 AM
I would just remove the "public" from the equation and everything would fix itself. There however would be a TON of kids needing babysitters during the day because many parents toss their kids in school simply because it is cheaper than getting a sitter.

I applaud any teacher in this day and age, my good friend just got her teaching cred and is starting next year at a local school. She is hopeful but in the same breath she is politically aware and believes the public schooling system is a GOOD thing how it is setup.

Paulatized
07-03-2011, 08:10 AM
Instilling a love of learning comes first from the parents, but a good classroom teacher can go a long way in nurturing that desire, or killing it stone cold dead. I won't be surprised if your friend doesn't become disillusioned when she realizes she will probably have very little autonomy as a teacher (on teaching techniques or frameworks). But I have loved the teaching profession in that it is very rewarding watching children grow year by year, a great teacher loves children first and foremost.

sevin
07-03-2011, 08:24 AM
Two, the less libertarian and easiest to achieve answer: vouchers. Have all tax payers pay into the system. At the end of the year send them a voucher in the amount of the tax money they paid into the system. They can then use this voucher in any education manner they choose: homeschooling, public schooling, private schooling, private tutors, whatever. The voucher can only be used to pay tuition fees. They simply show proof that they are sending their kid to school and that is it. The voucher can only be exchanged if you have no student in school. It can then be applied as a tax break.

I don't think the voucher system would work. If tax payers pay into the system, the government will blow that money immediately and the vouchers will be paid through deficits. Also, they would eventually only let you spend the voucher at a government-approved school.

harikaried
07-03-2011, 08:43 AM
3. End mandatory school attendanceThis is more important than people realize. One student can easily disrupt and prevent other students or even the whole class from learning. Sure, the teacher can send that kid to the office, but why have that interruption to begin with? The bad student doesn't want to learn and wastes time of other students, teachers, and administrators.

However, a student that doesn't go to school with bad parents would likely just stay at home or go to the mall or do other non-productive things. With the current system, the government will just end up taking care of those bad students anyway.

amyre
07-03-2011, 09:07 AM
This is more important than people realize. One student can easily disrupt and prevent other students or even the whole class from learning

I think the problem with this solution is that oftentimes, those students who are disruptive and have no interest in learning also have parents who are uninvolved and not invested in the education of their kids. My fear is that the kids that have no interest in learning would end up at home in front of the television or playing video games all day. Learning has become so distorted that most young kids, if given the option, would unfortunately choose to watch TV. (It doesn't help that the entertainment industry teaches these kids through tv programming and music that school is boring, dumb, and lame. And school very well may be all of those things. But learning, is NOT. It took us two years after pulling our kids out of the public school system to "reprogram" them to understand that learning does not equal school. LEARNING frees you to make informed decision about everything in life, and really IS fun.)

Sola_Fide
07-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Compulsory state education is the central tenant of Marxism.

Just like no patriot can accept a central bank, no patriot who loves liberty can accept this cancer in the American system.

Endgame
07-03-2011, 01:02 PM
I see a few good ideas here. All you need before college is reading, writing and basic algebra. It doesn't take 5 days a week for 14 years to teach someone these things. Anything beyond that should be optional, only for those who display talent or interest.

College itself is a separate but related problem. Unimaginable decadence and waste about to come tumbling down over the next decade.

The entire American education system top to bottom is screwed. I'm saying this as a grad student with a 3.8.

goRPaul
07-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Legend- Your best points were ending mandatory attendance and grouping students based on skills rather than age. This fascinating article (http://education.jhu.edu/newhorizons/Transforming%20Education/Articles/Multiyear%20Classrooms/index.html) explains the history behind "age-grading", and how "multi-year" classrooms are more desirable than "single-year" classrooms.

You can simplify your tax arguments by advocating a freer market for education. Think of education as a product- competition drives prices down and improves quality. Government interference does the opposite- increases costs and decreases quality. As a product that sells itself, no one will go without a proper education in this country, which the current system cannot boast even with its mandate.

I would also consider removing teacher qualifications so that anyone who wished to be a teacher would be allowed. Teachers are more effective when they teach out of passion rather than for pay; the increase in teaching workforce would again drive prices down. Volunteer teachers and private charities already do great work for education, but arbitrary qualifications discourages these practices.

And Legend, I think you meant "insightful", not inciteful.

Legend1104
07-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Legend- Your best points were ending mandatory attendance and grouping students based on skills rather than age. This fascinating article (http://education.jhu.edu/newhorizons/Transforming%20Education/Articles/Multiyear%20Classrooms/index.html) explains the history behind "age-grading", and how "multi-year" classrooms are more desirable than "single-year" classrooms.

You can simplify your tax arguments by advocating a freer market for education. Think of education as a product- competition drives prices down and improves quality. Government interference does the opposite- increases costs and decreases quality. As a product that sells itself, no one will go without a proper education in this country, which the current system cannot boast even with its mandate.

I would also consider removing teacher qualifications so that anyone who wished to be a teacher would be allowed. Teachers are more effective when they teach out of passion rather than for pay; the increase in teaching workforce would again drive prices down. Volunteer teachers and private charities already do great work for education, but arbitrary qualifications discourages these practices.

And Legend, I think you meant "insightful", not inciteful.

I agree about the tax/voucher thing. I don't personally advocate vouchers but I was just stressing the fact that in an imperfect society like ours, vouchers are more likely to be passed and what I mentioned above is a lot less evil than the system we have.

P.S. thanks your right about "insightful" I wrote that around 1 A.M.

eworthington
07-03-2011, 11:08 PM
I think it would be better to encourage parents to either homeschool their children or send them to private school. If enough people opt-out of the public education system, support will begin to fade for it.

I don't know if education needs to be fixed, or if there needs to be an education system at all. People will always have different ethical and religious views that they will want taught to their children, and different education philosophies will always exist -- let them coexist peacefully.

Trying to reform the education system will only serve to further legitimize the state's control over children's minds.

cindy25
07-03-2011, 11:28 PM
what about Charter schools?

eworthington
07-04-2011, 07:09 AM
Cindy25,

I'm not sure how charter schools can fix anything. They are highly politicized and funded (mostly) by the government. The state holds all the power with charter schools; they can abolish them, convert them to normal schools, etc.. The only thing that charter schools do differently is have the possibility of third-party management, and they limit teachers rights within the school. If a person means sticking it to teachers' unions when they say they want education reform, then charters might be useful; otherwise, I don't see what they accomplish.

Many schools in Sweden are structured similarly to charter schools, and it doesn't seem to have fostered a culture of liberty or scrutiny of the government.

MelissaWV
07-04-2011, 08:25 AM
I see a few good ideas here. All you need before college is reading, writing and basic algebra. It doesn't take 5 days a week for 14 years to teach someone these things. Anything beyond that should be optional, only for those who display talent or interest.

College itself is a separate but related problem. Unimaginable decadence and waste about to come tumbling down over the next decade.

The entire American education system top to bottom is screwed. I'm saying this as a grad student with a 3.8.

I use a great deal of the science and creative writing lessons I learned throughout school. I greatly enjoyed a portion of my lessons, though I will agree about the five-day thing; if we didn't have dumb classes I skipped anyhow (like gym) and if we'd been allowed to go at our own pace, I would have been way happier.

The reason that four-day school weeks are shot down, most often, is that parents don't know what to do with their kids on those extra days off. Parents still have work, but their children might need to be cared for by an adult during that day, which means that parents are not only paying for a Government babysitter at the same rate, but now must also seek and fund childcare on the fifth day. It has nothing to do with learning. Nothing.

osan
07-04-2011, 09:52 AM
...incites...

Insights?

1. First, get rid of the harmful teachers unions. Believe it or not, this is not as widespread of a problem as many think. I, for example, live in MS where there is not an official state recognized Teachers Union. That being said, unions are still a big problem in many states and I don't need to enumerate the problems they can create.

No. First, get rid of PUBLIC schools. Don't need them. Don't want them.

2. Get the federal government and state government out of the way. Local schools run by the communties and parents whose children attend them are the most responsible.

Taken care of per the point, above.

3. End mandatory school attendance.

Now you're talking. Freedom means the freedom to seek education as one or his parents may choose... or even to remain uneducated if that be the choice.

4. End the use of tax money for public schools.

Subsumed in my first point.

5.End the outdated, unworkable grade system.

Personally I agree, but this should be a decision made by each school. I prefer a pass/nopass system (vis-a-vis pass/FAIL) if grading must be used. I see no virtue in it whatsoever. Grading of any sort is, IMO, arbitrary bullshit.

6. Divide the school system into 3 levels.

Not a bad idea, but I think the classical trivium/quadrivium is the best course. That aside, I would say that each school should be free to set its methods as it sees fit. As the trite saying goes, the market will decide whose methods are better.

Fredom101
07-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Or just end the government. :)

Gray Seal
07-04-2011, 11:25 AM
1) Changing union law would be the first step to make. I hated how negotiations between school boards and the Union were hindered by law. Get rid of all of the laws. Both sides should be able to say anything, meet whenever, meet with whomever...whatever it takes to communicate and negotiate without the strightjacket regulations in place to further the status of lawyers, union leaders, and administrators.

2) It seems to me oversight fails at all levels: federal, state, and local. Federal is unneeded. State seems a good means to equal distribution of funds (though it is not happening in Illinois as it is). Local may work but the people use the board as a distributor of advantage more than it should.

3) hmm...I will give my take on vouchers... Vouchers are good but if they can be used to segregate a community. Want to send your kids to a school with only the "right" kids? It can be done. What about the kids who are more expensive to educate? Without a public school voucher system a number of kids will be left out...no one will want them. Vouchers for public schools, those who will take anyone, makes a lot of sense as competition is good. Free for all vouchers seems a poor idea.

4) If the idea of equal opportunity is valid, then public schools is the best means towards it.

5) Grades can be fun challenge. Perhaps the student can choose which they want?

6) I like your ideas!