PDA

View Full Version : The royal visit to Canada (Why?)

Freedom 4 all
07-02-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm curious about what the Canadian members of RPF think about Will and Kate's recent visit to Canada. Personally I was completely sickened by the legions of fawning supporters who admire the couple based on nothing but luck as to having been born in a certain family, but that's just my take on it. Many people I know who are truly fiscal conservatives in every other way seem to love the monarchy. They tell me I just don't understand, and it's completely true. I haven't got a goddamn clue why people respect them so much. Therefore, I'm asking RPF members who like the monarchy (if there are any): Why?

Zippyjuan
07-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Newlywed couple on vacation. Who cares where they want to go?

Grubb556
07-02-2011, 03:34 PM
I'm curious about what the Canadian members of RPF think about Will and Kate's recent visit to Canada. Personally I was completely sickened by the legions of fawning supporters who admire the couple based on nothing but luck as to having been born in a certain family, but that's just my take on it. Many people I know who are truly fiscal conservatives in every other way seem to love the monarchy. They tell me I just don't understand, and it's completely true. I haven't got a goddamn clue why people respect them so much. Therefore, I'm asking RPF members who like the monarchy (if there are any): Why?

Well at least Canada's national anthemn isn't all about the King/Queen unlike another country...

LibertarianBrit
07-02-2011, 03:48 PM
The British monarchy is nothing but a national cake decoration, because the Queen stands for nothing. Millions of Brits have pledged allegiance to her, e.g. servicemen and women, but she gives nothing in return. We expect her to stand up for us when Britain is in extremis, e.g. when the government passes more powers to the E.U., but she fails to insist on a referendum. The Canadians and Australians who admire the British monarchy haven't got a clue. I would rather have King Obama than Queen Elizabeth - that's how bad she is. The monarchy exists not for its own benefit but for that of all the brown-nosing courtiers, officials and everybody else who recieves a trickle-down of wealth and status. The monarchy should be privatized and totally separated from the state, then those who are interested in it can have as much as they like without the rest of us having to pay for it.

tpreitzel
07-02-2011, 03:54 PM
The British monarchy is nothing but a national cake decoration, because the Queen stands for nothing. Millions of Brits have pledged allegiance to her, e.g. servicemen and women, but she gives nothing in return. We expect her to stand up for us when Britain is in extremis, e.g. when the government passes more powers to the E.U., but she fails to insist on a referendum. The Canadians and Australians who admire the British monarchy haven't got a clue. I would rather have King Obama than Queen Elizabeth - that's how bad she is. The monarchy exists not for its own benefit but for that of all the brown-nosing courtiers, officials and everybody else who recieves a trickle-down of wealth and status. The monarchy should be privatized and totally separated from the state, then those who are interested in it can have as much as they like without the rest of us having to pay for it.

LoL ... Even the wealthy need their welfare ... :)

RonPaulCult
07-02-2011, 04:22 PM
I'm not Canadian but I still voted "fuck them" - sorry I couldn't help myself

Dustancostine
07-02-2011, 04:25 PM
I voted the FT too, even though I am American, I own a Canadian Corp so I guess that entitles me to vote since some of the taxes I pay goes there.

Freedom 4 all
07-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Newlywed couple on vacation. Who cares where they want to go?

I don't really have a huge problem with them as individuals. Truth be told if I was offered fame and millions of dollars for no good reason I'd have a hard time turning it down. It's the institution that supports them and the mundanes who worship them as their betters that really piss me off.

Cdn_for_liberty
07-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Here's a conservative in Canada talking about supporting a "Constitutional Monarchy."

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/does-canada-need-the-monarchy%3F/924440725001

specialK
07-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Well at least Canada's national anthemn isn't all about the King/Queen unlike another country...

I think "God save the Queen" was our national anthem around the time I was very young, but it soon changed. As Canadians, the monarchy is deeply embedded in our identity. Do I like them? Yes, I do like them, but worship them and take time out of my day to get a glimpse of them? Never! As a child, I grew up occasionally visiting with royalty as my grandparents were friends with some of them - not the British, but their European relatives. I always found them to be very gracious people and enjoyed their company for the most part. There was one occasion I will not forget, however, when one screamed bloody hell at the hired help, but they really did deserve it in that particular case. If our monarchy was gone tomorrow, I would miss it, but not mourn the loss and I certainly do not like paying for it.

cindy25
07-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Canada is the largest Dominion, so its natural they would go there; I expect trips to Australia (where the republican movement is strong) and New Zealand next

ClayTrainor
07-02-2011, 09:05 PM
If i didn't see this thread, I wouldn't even have known.