PDA

View Full Version : Family: Unarmed Man Killed by California Highway Patrol (CHP), shot 55 Times

HOLLYWOOD
07-02-2011, 09:38 AM
People: DON'T call the Police for Help! Everyday there appears to be another murder by the judicial thugs on unarmed civilians. A travesty for the family.

http://www.modbee.com/2011/06/30/1756880/family-says-chp-shot-man-55-times.html

Family says CHP shot man 55 times in Turlock incident

By Erin Tracy
etracy@modbee.com

The family of a man shot to death by three California Highway Patrol officers said he was shot 55 times and was unarmed.

Carrick "Eric" Vigen, 37, of Sacramento died June 18, when three CHP officers responded to a report of a suicidal man who was armed. The incident occurred at the Valero gas station at the intersection of Crows Landing Road and West Main Street, about seven miles west of Turlock.
The officers involved were Sgt. Ian Troxell, a 12-year CHP veteran; Jonathan Box, who's been with the agency 3½ years; and Adam Percey, a 2½-year employee, according to Sgt. Anthony Bajaran, a Stanislaus County Sheriff's Department spokesman.

The shooting happened within minutes of officers arriving.

Vigen's mother, Karla Vigen, said he had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder five years ago and was in a manic state before the shooting.
She said her son experienced a similar episode in the past and law enforcement was able to calm him and find him help. She assumed her call to 911 in Stanislaus County would produce the same outcome.
Eric Vigen told her he had a gun. She didn't believe him, but she told police he was armed.
"I told them that because I didn't want them to go into a situation not knowing he told me he had a gun," she said.
Eric Vigen's brother, Clint Vigen, said Wednesday that sheriff's investigators met with the family last week and gave details about what happened. He said investigators told him his brother was shot 55 times with semiautomatic rifles.
Clint Vigen previously said his brother told him he wanted to "force a shootout" with police, but he said investigators told him no gun was found on or near his brother.
"I was floored," Clint Vigen said about hearing the news. "I was wondering how many shots it took before they realized he wasn't shooting back."
Representatives from the Sheriff's Department and district attorney's office declined to comment on the case.
Clint Vigen said a private memorial has been scheduled July 10 for Eric Vigen.
Clint Vigen said he and his family appreciate the information the Sheriff's Department has provided, but they would like to hear from a CHP representative.
Officer Eric Parsons, the Modesto CHP spokesman, said Thursday that "we are not going to make any comment until the completion of the investigation by the Sheriff's Department."
"An apology from the CHP would be really nice," Clint Vigen said. "The CHP has had no contact with us to say, 'We are sorry we killed your son … your brother.' This is not about money; this is about an apology, some recognition of our loss."

Bee staff writer Erin Tracy can be reached at etracy@modbee.com or (209) 578-2366.
http://media.modbee.com/smedia/2011/07/01/07/02/1pw1Z3.Em.11.jpg

bkreigh
07-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Just another story where somebody calls the cops hoping for them to help.

flightlesskiwi
07-02-2011, 09:48 AM
i feel very saddened for the people who still believe that cops are capable of doing anything other than inflicting pain or murder.

Chester Copperpot
07-02-2011, 09:54 AM
Im not sure I would really fault the cops in this case... Sounded like the guy wanted to kill himself but couldnt bring himself to do it, therefore he wanted to force a shootout so the cops would kill him...

flightlesskiwi
07-02-2011, 10:05 AM
something to ponder... this goes along with the man being hit with 55 rounds. i was weapon shopping the other day. looking at slim 9mms. each capable of carrying 7 rounds. "only 7 rounds?" i asked. the gun shop owner makes the statement to me "if you can't get it done with 7 rounds, i don't know what to tell you."

while i realize there are extenuating circumstances, when paired with some of these police state news reports, his words resonated with me.

GunnyFreedom
07-02-2011, 10:17 AM
something to ponder... this goes along with the man being hit with 55 rounds. i was weapon shopping the other day. looking at slim 9mms. each capable of carrying 7 rounds. "only 7 rounds?" i asked. the gun shop owner makes the statement to me "if you can't get it done with 7 rounds, i don't know what to tell you."

while i realize there are extenuating circumstances, when paired with some of these police state news reports, his words resonated with me.

7 rounds for a 9mm (assuming 6 +1) is awful small, I'm assuming you are talking about a sub compact? Really tiny, barely bigger than a Derringer? Nice concealed carry weapon, but more difficult to fire accurately.

But yeah, the guy is right. Unless you are in some kind of massive shootout, 7 rounds ought to be enough. I will still stick with my 13 round S&W Tac .40 though. I intend to be ready if there is some ki d of massive shootout.

I can understand higher round counts from a pistol more readily than a rifle. Once you start shooting with a pistol chances are your adrenaline is really up and you empty the magazi e without even knowing it. That's because pistol shooting is way up close and personal, and fight or flight kicks in heavy. Rifles tend to be from a slightly longer range and a little more detached. Unless you are doing tac ops, clearing hostile buildings etc, you are going to be at least 30 yards away with a rifle, and can be more deliberate on the trigger.

But then again, these are cops we are talkimg about. I'm not sure they are careful at all when it comes to deadly force anymore. :mad:

Matthew Zak
07-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Im not sure I would really fault the cops in this case... Sounded like the guy wanted to kill himself but couldnt bring himself to do it, therefore he wanted to force a shootout so the cops would kill him...

Tragically, he knew it would get the job done. Even ten years ago they would have waited to see a weapon or something.

Anti Federalist
07-02-2011, 11:01 AM
The article said this happened with rifles.

I don't think there was any target assessment going on at all.

They just lit this poor bastard up.

He said investigators told him his brother was shot 55 times with semiautomatic rifles.

7 rounds for a 9mm (assuming 6 +1) is awful small, I'm assuming you are talking about a sub compact? Really tiny, barely bigger than a Derringer? Nice concealed carry weapon, but more difficult to fire accurately.

But yeah, the guy is right. Unless you are in some kind of massive shootout, 7 rounds ought to be enough. I will still stick with my 13 round S&W Tac .40 though. I intend to be ready if there is some ki d of massive shootout.

I can understand higher round counts from a pistol more readily than a rifle. Once you start shooting with a pistol chances are your adrenaline is really up and you empty the magazi e without even knowing it. That's because pistol shooting is way up close and personal, and fight or flight kicks in heavy. Rifles tend to be from a slightly longer range and a little more detached. Unless you are doing tac ops, clearing hostile buildings etc, you are going to be at least 30 yards away with a rifle, and can be more deliberate on the trigger.

But then again, these are cops we are talkimg about. I'm not sure they are careful at all when it comes to deadly force anymore. :mad:

flightlesskiwi
07-02-2011, 11:27 AM

subcompact, yes (7 + 1). derringer-sized, no. slim, yes. accurate, yes. self-defense concealed weapon, yes. reason: i'm pretty small and it's difficult to conceal anything on me unless i wear insanely oversized clothes. i want my weapon on my person, not in my purse.

but, yeah, i was thinking about this semi-auto rifle incident (aren't they pretty much all that nowadays?) in relation to what the shop owner said. i had this thought: if i'm that far away from a "threat", do i really need to be firing anything near 20+ rounds?? especially if i know i have my buddies backing me.

i keep seeing this pattern: cop starts firing, he/she doesn't stop until most (all?) of the rounds are spent, rifle or pistol... i don't think that's an unreasonable statement for me to make.

JohnMeridith
07-02-2011, 04:59 PM
eh, I just got banned from a gun forum for posting in a admins thread about too much cop bashing in on the forums. He warned there would be bans for cop haters so I asked if he could also ban people that call all car dealers liars and question their integrity as a whole while only citing a few cases out of the millions of transaction per year. I got banned.

pcosmar
07-02-2011, 06:31 PM
eh, I just got banned from a gun forum for posting in a admins thread about too much cop bashing in on the forums. He warned there would be bans for cop haters so I asked if he could also ban people that call all car dealers liars and question their integrity as a whole while only citing a few cases out of the millions of transaction per year. I got banned.

THR?
I got banned from there some time ago, and no one could ever tell me why.
But I have noticed a lot of badge licking on several other forums.

This is another one that has me shaking my head. Sounds like a bunch of trigger happy idiots.

HOLLYWOOD
07-04-2011, 09:15 AM
I did some investigative work on this with a couple of CA state "friends" I know...

Some California cities and counties have mental health officiers in dealing cilivians with problems (Bi-Polarism, Schizophrenia, Mental Illnesses, even Domestic violence, etc...) and are called to such scenes to negotiate/defuse such situations. What was unusual with the CHP, I was informed (Off The Record) that all these deadly shootings appear to be a "Green Light" from up top. The police/judicial system know they have endless resources, teams of lawyers, and legal teams to protect such actions, with the finally of the courts to seal the deal(protect government/minimize damages. I said the cherry on their fascist fundae is even if CHP is held liable through solid evidence, it will always be the California Taxpayers that pickup the costs, no matter what the outcome.

FYI, Most law enforcement agencies now have their appointed lawyers to review and correct all police reports PRIOR to being officially submitted.

It's all rigged against the people, who don't even realize the extent of government conspiring and racketeering behind the scenes.