PDA

View Full Version : Romney-type fundraising troubles

sailingaway
07-02-2011, 07:20 AM
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2011/07/02/romney_fund_raiser_in_uk_moved/

WASHINGTON - Mitt Romney’s campaign workers thought they had the perfect place staked out for their fund-raiser in London next week: an elegant home that once belonged to famed American portrait artist John Singer Sargent.

The home now belongs to wealthy financier Sir Evelyn de Rothschild and his wife, Lady Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a well-connected American lawyer and entrepreneur.

One major problem got in the way: The lady joined up with one of Romney’s rivals, Jon Huntsman. She hosted a dinner for him last week at another one of her homes, in New York, and says they raised $1.2 million.

“He’s the real deal,’’ Forester said of Huntsman in an interview. “He is a genuine fiscal conservative. He’s not doctrinaire. He sticks to what he believes in. He’s just a pragmatic, nonideological, let’s roll up our sleeves and get it done kind of American. ’’

She said she agreed to allow the Romney campaign to use her home several months ago, mostly as a personal favor to Woody Johnson, who is the owner of the New York Jets and one of Romney’s major fund-raisers.

But Forester said she made clear that, while they could use her home, she would not make the maximum $2,500 contribution and she would not be supporting Romney.

“He’s made too many Faustian bargains, and we need somebody who stands up for what they believe,’’ she said. “I think [President] Obama would roll him.’’....

Now, with my version of Babelfish 'pragmatic, non-ideological' translates to 'squish', and 'fiscal conservative' is the ruffle on this year's candidate costume, but the rest of it is kind of funny...

This woman supported Clinton and McCain, by the way.

LisaNY
07-02-2011, 10:29 AM
and she is "buds" with kissinger!

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2007/10/lady_lynn_forester_de_rothschi.html

Elwar
07-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Maybe this time we can convince the Rothschilds and Vanderbilts to support Ron Paul...convince them that losing their stranglehold on the government would be better for them in the long run...

And we can also focus on turning Bernanke while we're at it too...

Schifference
07-02-2011, 10:41 AM
I am sure I am way off with this point but it seems to me that the use of her house and all the clout that accompanies it has value. It also seems to me that if she is not willing to let all candidates use her facility that it should be considered a contribution to the select few that do. It seems fair to assume that the value of using her home would far exceed the $2500 maximum contribution.

Aratus
07-02-2011, 11:07 AM
gentleman mitt and our big dig, yes...