PDA

View Full Version : The campaign - focus on the young?

febo
07-02-2011, 05:42 AM
In the campaign how about letting the young do the talking as much as possible?
Get them together for "Ron Paul" debates - you could do one in every town.

Ron Paul has such a great "selling point" here - so drive it home.

thehighwaymanq
07-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Ron Paul is HUGE with young people.

I am surprised to see so many young people loving Liberty.

PPHILPOT
07-02-2011, 03:40 PM
This is ultimately where Ron Paul's victory will happen. The next generation will not fall into the same trappings as previous. As far as this election, I dont think the young vote enough to spend an undue amount of time on them. That said, yes, Ron Paul is a rock-star on college campuses.

tpreitzel
07-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Although ALL ages need to be solicited by the campaign, our posterity is our future so the campaign does need to invest in them. These same youth understand the urgency of correcting our problems as the youth have most to lose.

Unfortunately for Ron, time has likely run out after 2012... but we'll have other good options by 2016 anyway.

Napoleon's Shadow
07-02-2011, 04:38 PM
The "youth" crowd doesn't vote in numbers, and when they do it's for Democrats.

The core of the Republican voting bloc are people are over the age of 50. Those are the ones we need to get to vote for Ron.

I suggest you see this thread:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?301626-Getting-the-youth-vote

kazmlsj
07-04-2011, 07:57 AM
My daughter just finished her first year in college. The youth she was surrounded by were absolutely clueless about the state of our country OR they were brainwashed Obama supporters because it was cool.

I appreciate educating the young and I appreiciate their enthusiasm (if they are in tune with current events) but I am a bit put-off that the rest of the population (who are most likely working and paying taxes) are not deemed as important.

How about a mentor kind of approach? The older and the younger in this thing together...

febo
07-04-2011, 08:56 AM
The "youth" crowd doesn't vote in numbers, and when they do it's for Democrats.

The core of the Republican voting bloc are people are over the age of 50. Those are the ones we need to get to vote for Ron.

I couldn't disagree more.
You are accepting the current paradigm. RP will not be elected within the current paradigm.

febo
07-04-2011, 08:59 AM
My but I am a bit put-off that the rest of the population (who are most likely working and paying taxes) are not deemed as important.

Our generation needs to be asking forgiveness for selling-out our children, not feeling hurt if its left out.

TheDriver
07-04-2011, 09:00 AM
If Ron wants to win, he better make this election about the over 50 crowd.

LibertyEagle
07-04-2011, 09:03 AM
the "youth" crowd doesn't vote in numbers, and when they do it's for democrats.

The core of the republican voting bloc are people are over the age of 50. Those are the ones we need to get to vote for ron.

I suggest you see this thread:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?301626-getting-the-youth-vote

Quoted
for
truth.

LibertyEagle
07-04-2011, 09:04 AM
You are accepting the current paradigm. RP will not be elected within the current paradigm.

If he is going to be elected, it will be by the voters. The vast majority of the people who vote are 50 and older. It is just a fact.

jmdrake
07-04-2011, 09:17 AM
If he is going to be elected, it will be by the voters. The vast majority of the people who vote are 50 and older. It is just a fact.

Yes. We know this. We've know it for 4 years. Now what the hell are we going to do about it? I'm not saying this to be negative. I'm saying this out of exasperation. When and how are we going to target older voters? With the campaign come out with a slim jim for seniors this time? Are we going to focus of retirement homes? With the forum have a "seniors outreach" subforum? I'm just throwing out random ideas right now to see if any of them hold water. It makes no sense for Ron Paul not to be able to connect with his own age group.

Paulatized
07-04-2011, 09:22 AM
I think it would be a mistake to primarily focus on the youth. The older people probably already see RP's campaign one of mainly young people and that could be a reason they discount it. I am 58 and I think the campaign already puts too much emphasis on the young college age kids and does not give the older generation credit for valuing freedom.

If anything it should be a principle valued more dearly by the older generation because they can still remember a time when we were allowed to make more choices as individuals and when government wasn't such as force in our everyday lives. I often hear the older generation make comments to that effect.

Sometimes I am slightly offended that Ron doesn't give the older generation more credit than this. This really should be a group of people who would be easy to reach, if the message was approached from their prospective.

If anything there should probably be a real specific effort by the campaign to target the older generation, instead of discounting them. I think if done with the right approach it could be very effective. Why write off a whole sector who are the most likely to vote.

So, no, I don't think the focus should be just on the young.

LibertyEagle
07-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Yes. We know this. We've know it for 4 years. Now what the hell are we going to do about it? I'm not saying this to be negative. I'm saying this out of exasperation. When and how are we going to target older voters? With the campaign come out with a slim jim for seniors this time? Are we going to focus of retirement homes? With the forum have a "seniors outreach" subforum? I'm just throwing out random ideas right now to see if any of them hold water. It makes no sense for Ron Paul not to be able to connect with his own age group.

I'm quite sure the campaign knows this and I'm sure you've followed some of where Ron has been campaigning in Iowa. It's very different than last time around. Also remember that whether he wins the primary or not is totally based on whether he has the delegates to win. So, I would well imagine that nearly all of their focus is on winning delegates.

As far as this forum is concerned, you know where to make a suggestion for the forum. If you have one, go make it. I think it is a great idea for the grassroots to reach out to seniors. :)

febo
07-04-2011, 02:15 PM

That's not my point - my point is to influence all voters by focussing on -not by "targetting"- the young aka the future.
Most people 50 and older have children/grandchildren - get voters to actually think about them when they decide who to vote for.

MartyMoose
07-04-2011, 03:51 PM
you people just keep making threads about the same things every single day. cointel if I've ever seen it

Thargok
07-04-2011, 04:06 PM

Ron Paul is working to win in REALITY, this is not a state of thought or consciousness, this is the real world. In the real world you can look at the statistics and see how you need to win. You can simply ignore the statistics, but it is kind of like ignoring gravity. I'm not going to tell you what to believe, but I will tell you how to not look like a moron.

febo
07-05-2011, 01:50 AM
I'm not going to tell you what to believe, but I will tell you how to not look like a moron.

Why is it I attact so many bad vibes?
Listen to me - it's called the Ron Paul REVOLUTION for a reason - for him to win, it will require the status quo, the "statistics" to be overturned.
If campiagn thinking - your kind of thinking - does not absorb this, he will not win.
I reckon people like you get downhearted with this kind of talk, but don't, as RP says, when an idea's time is nigh, nothing can stop it.
But please, don't get in the way with your insistence on old-paradigm thinking. You've swallowed the carefully inculcated myth that radical change cannot happen - you are a victim of what the Frankfurt school calls false consciousness - you are a participant in your own oppression. Indeed, you are a participant in mine...
(Excuse my forthright manner, I feel your rudeness deserves it.)

parocks
07-05-2011, 02:39 AM
Frankfurt school !?! Communist (kidding)

What I think might develop is an idea that the official campaign should reach the traditional audience by traditional means, and the grassroots
should reach the non traditional (younger) audience through grassroots means.

Revolution is what the grassroots sells to the younger audience. But that might not be the message that the official campaign wants to go with.
So, you try to keep your message away from the official message. I like the idea of selling him to young voters. I know they don't vote as often,
and I know that a lot of them went to Obama in 2008, but I can say that the message will work with young voters, and I think it did last time.
For some reason polls seem to have Romney on top with 18-29. I have no idea .

My recommendation is to think as cleverly as possible to figure out ways to target your demo without interfering too much with the official message. I like rock concerts, and setting up a system where rock bands are all 100% Ron Paul, or something short of that. Just bands telling their fans how great Ron Paul is. I can tell you that a little bit of money goes a pretty long way with rock bands. The official message will be found in the news pages. Here, FREE RON PAUL SHOW will be found in the entertainment section of the newspaper, the schedule listing for the alternative monthly. More Village Voice and less New York Times.

How else can 18-24s be targeted. College campuses of course, so there should be large presence there. Free events, mostly the event, some talking about Ron Paul.

The internet. We should continue to own the internet.

Why is it I attact so many bad vibes?
Listen to me - it's called the Ron Paul REVOLUTION for a reason - for him to win, it will require the status quo, the "statistics" to be overturned.
If campiagn thinking - your kind of thinking - does not absorb this, he will not win.
I reckon people like you get downhearted with this kind of talk, but don't, as RP says, when an idea's time is nigh, nothing can stop it.
But please, don't get in the way with your insistence on old-paradigm thinking. You've swallowed the carefully inculcated myth that radical change cannot happen - you are a victim of what the Frankfurt school calls false consciousness - you are a participant in your own oppression. Indeed, you are a participant in mine...
(Excuse my forthright manner, I feel your rudeness deserves it.)

Napoleon's Shadow
07-05-2011, 10:14 AM
It's called political science for a reason. Elections are won with math and numbers; those rules don't change.

PastaRocket848
07-05-2011, 10:40 AM
if it were my campaign to run i wouldn't spend a penny courting the youth vote. the fact of the matter is they just don't turn out. the last three presidential elections we've had were expecting "record turnout" form youth voters that turned out to be a letdown. even obama couldn't get them to the polls. hell they didn't even go to the polls in California to legalize freedom when they had the chance.

old people vote. votes are what matters. until the youth of the country prove they can be bothered to vote, i wouldnt bother with them.

Thargok
07-05-2011, 11:49 AM
if it were my campaign to run i wouldn't spend a penny courting the youth vote. the fact of the matter is they just don't turn out. the last three presidential elections we've had were expecting "record turnout" form youth voters that turned out to be a letdown. even obama couldn't get them to the polls. hell they didn't even go to the polls in California to legalize freedom when they had the chance.

old people vote. votes are what matters. until the youth of the country prove they can be bothered to vote, i wouldnt bother with them.

Precisely, they expected the youth to turnout on the issues of homosexual marriage and legalization in California and both times the youth barely made a ripple, much less a splash.

RonPaulVolunteer
07-05-2011, 12:11 PM

Wishful thinking - but, and I don't like to tell a man he's wrong, but you're wrong. If you do not get the old guard, you will not win the nomination.

JamesButabi
07-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Sorry for a little pessimism but im really tired of these threads bantering back and forth about what votes are important and ones aren't. 1 vote is 1 vote. Concentrate on anyone and everyone willing to vote in a Republican primary. Talk to your kids, talk to your parents/ grandparents, canvas a republican or independent list, WHATEVER. JUST DO SOMETHING

PastaRocket848
07-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Well the problem is that when you're a few thousand people (counting active, campaigning Paul supporters) trying to influence a vote 150+ million people will be eligible to participate in, you have to understand targeting. If you could spend a dollar to convert one old time gop'er it's worth $10 spent talking to college kids that *might* vote if they get up early enough that day and there is a poll station en route to class.