PDA

View Full Version : Mighty pen in the heart of Cheneys home

NewEnd
10-30-2007, 11:16 PM
I was thinking, if NH would not appreciate a barrage of handwritten Ron Paul letters, maybe a less populous, but still early state, like Wyoming would.

Then I thought, for sure, maybe we could even m,ake a statement, by thrusting our pens into Casper Wyoming, and getting a letter to every person in the city, since wyoming does not have a popular primary process.

Natrona county, the county in which Casper is located, has only 66,533 people.

1200 people, writing 50 letters each, would be enough. The stamps would cost each person about $22.

Casper is Cheney's hometown. I think it would be an excellent display of strength, and a display of the fight that is coming.

Dustancostine
10-30-2007, 11:21 PM
Have you ever tried to hand write 50 one page letters in a day? I will give you cramps and would probably take 5 hours. I tried for Iowa and after about 20 in two days had to revert to just signing printed copies for times sake.

NewEnd
10-30-2007, 11:30 PM
Have you ever tried to hand write 50 one page letters in a day? I will give you cramps and would probably take 5 hours. I tried for Iowa and after about 20 in two days had to revert to just signing printed copies for times sake.

Small letters.

6 sentences at the most.

Dear Friend, (ms. lastname, mr. lastname)

Texas congressman Dr. Ron Paul is running for President!

He has never voted for a tax increase, unbalanced budget, or congressional pay raise!

He does not use taxpayer money for his travels, nor participate in the congressional pension plan, and returns some of his office budget to the US Treasury yearly!

Please visit www.ronpaul2008.com or call his Iowa HQ toll-free: 1-888-828-PAUL (7285) to learn about America's last honest

politician...

..feel free to write me back, or email me, email@server.com

sincerely (female),
thank you for your time, (male, not sure)

Your Name

90 - 100 words

EvilEngineer
10-30-2007, 11:33 PM
my handwriting sucks, it's best if I DON'T scare people away by trying to hand write a letter to them.

TVMH
10-30-2007, 11:38 PM
Small letters.

6 sentences at the most.

Dear Friend,

Dr. Ron Paul is running for President.
He has never voted for a tax increase, unbalanced budget, or congressional pay raise.
Has does not use taxpayer money for his travels, participate in the pension plan, and returns a sum of his office money to the treasury yearly.
Please visit www.ronpaul2008.com to learn about America's last honest politician, or write us back for more information.

sincerely

Name
State

71 words. 3500 words for 50 letters. May be able to shorten it.

Let's simplify this a bit...

Really, only the envelope needs to be handwritten, otherwise, the mailing looks like junk mail.

How about sending as many Slimjims as can be put in a regular envelope for the price of one stamp along with a very short handwritten note as a nice extra touch?

If we commit to get it done with our Meetup groups, we can probably save the campaign a boatload of money...both by buying the Slimjims and covering our own postage.

lucius
10-30-2007, 11:40 PM

Here is what I did for Iowa. Handwrote one 6-page letter leaving the name blank, scanned it, and then cranked them out on parchment and filled in their name using a matching black pen--you couldn't tell that they weren't handwritten.

Dustancostine
10-30-2007, 11:41 PM
I'm down with writing Wyoming.

lucius
10-30-2007, 11:43 PM
I as well.

NewEnd
10-30-2007, 11:45 PM
I'll write 500 alone, and take a picture when I'm done.

:D

also, keep in mind the population includes non-voters, and children. I bet the voter total is only about 20,000.

TVMH
10-30-2007, 11:50 PM
We need to make this happen in NH, first...remember, their primary may be as early as Dec. 11...that's less than 6 weeks away. :eek:

I saw a Youtube video earlier today that showed a Meetup group stuffing envelopes on their own.

I was thinking handwriting the envelope, stuffing the Slimjims, and including a Post-it note with something like "I hope you find this useful."

To do this, I think we need:

A mass-e-mailing to Meetup group organizers;
A list of people to mail (get it from HQ?);
Coordination with HQ to let them know when we have completed the mailing so they don't duplicate and waste money.

If the Meetup groups pool their funds, I can see this costing around $20 per person, if that.

We can hit Wyoming next.

qsecofr
10-30-2007, 11:52 PM
Okay I'm on board to write 50, targeting a single town is a great idea. My handwriting sucks but I'm willing to take one for the team.

NewEnd
10-30-2007, 11:56 PM
We need to make this happen in NH, first...remember, their primary may be as early as Dec. 11...that's less than 6 weeks away. :eek:

I saw a Youtube video earlier today that showed a Meetup group stuffing envelopes on their own.

I was thinking handwriting the envelope, stuffing the Slimjims, and including a Post-it note with something like "I hope you find this useful."

To do this, I think we need:

A mass-e-mailing to Meetup group organizers;
A list of people to mail (get it from HQ?);
Coordination with HQ to let them know when we have completed the mailing so they don't duplicate and waste money.

If the Meetup groups pool their funds, I can see this costing around $20 per person, if that.

We can hit Wyoming next.

Alot of New Hampshire people shot the idea down.
New hampshire has 4 times the population, IIRC
And supposedly is sick of campaign letters.

I was thinking, it might make the people of Wyoming feel good just to be recognized as a member of the United States, and have people acting like their vote counted.

TVMH
10-30-2007, 11:59 PM
Alot of New Hampshire people shot the idea down.
New hampshire has 4 times the population, IIRC
And supposedly is sick of campaign letters.

I was thinking, it might make the people of Wyoming feel good just to be recognized as a member of the United States, and have people acting like their vote counted.

OK, no problem...but whatever we do, I think we need to coordinate with HQ...surely they've bought the mailing lists already.

What do you think about the Slimjim/Post-it approach?

TVMH
10-31-2007, 12:01 AM
And a slogan...we need a slogan that the Meetup organizers can promote. :D

NewEnd
10-31-2007, 12:17 AM
OK, no problem...but whatever we do, I think we need to coordinate with HQ...surely they've bought the mailing lists already.

What do you think about the Slimjim/Post-it approach?

Its interesting, I'd rather handwrite, the enite letter, maybe insert a slimjim or other paper as well.

Perhaps do casper first, than post-it note the rest of the state. LoL

TVMH
10-31-2007, 12:22 AM
Its interesting, I'd rather handwrite, the enite letter, maybe insert a slimjim or other paper as well.

Perhaps do casper first, than post-it note the rest of the state. LoL

The entire letter? ewwwww. :D

I was just thinking sending something that could be spread...a single letter will very likely only reach one person, even if the recipient likes the message. But a bunch of Slimjims send to a sympathetic recipient might end up in the hands of the friends of the recipient.

I bet 5 or so is the max for one stamp.

TVMH
10-31-2007, 12:27 AM
I just wrote "Please vote for Ron Paul in the primary election on Dec. 11th. Thanks, Jason" on five Post-it notes, and my fingers hurt. :)

TVMH
10-31-2007, 12:47 PM
bump

Not for vanity...NewEnd has a good idea.

Elwar
10-31-2007, 12:56 PM
I like it. Though something that most of us haven't caught onto yet is focussed campaigning.

Each town has a list of people who voted in the last election. Sure it'd be great if we could get all non-voters to vote for Ron Paul but the odds of someone who didn't vote last time voting this time are much lower than those that voted last time.

We could probably do all of Wyoming's primary voters as opposed to one city's voters.

JerzieJennie
10-31-2007, 01:28 PM
Its VERY important that you include in any letter that you are a volunteer supporting Ron Paul, so there is no mistake that you are affiliated with the official campaign!

imaginegirl
10-31-2007, 01:38 PM
Sure it'd be great if we could get all non-voters to vote for Ron Paul but the odds of someone who didn't vote last time voting this time are much lower than those that voted last time.

Speaking as a non-voter (at least, when it came to the primaries), RP's message has ignited such a passion in people who have never voted, hitting those targets may be a viable approach. From all my research, those non-voters have the passion our forefathers must have felt when they wrote the constitution in the first place. If we can ignite that passion in non-voters, not only will they vote, but they'll tell their family & friends about the message as well - many of whom may live in different states!

I think it's a great idea. I don't have $$ for postage right now, but I'm willing to hand-write a bunch of sticky notes & mail them all to a meetup group to use. Just PM me if you'd like my handwriting work with an address to send the notes to & I'll get on the ball right away! :D

TVMH
10-31-2007, 01:44 PM
I'm an assistant organizer in my Meetup group.

We have an auxiliary message board at freeforums.

I'll start a topic over there and get the ball rolling.

PM me for details if you're seriously interested in getting this going.

And thanks to NewEnd. :D

iskimtsnow
10-31-2007, 01:48 PM
Obama did this in NH. My friend's wife (reg dem) got a flimsy but handwritten postcard. Somethiong like I support Obama he talks about real change... Judy. Just 2 sentences with obama's pic on the front. They were bulk mailed from Manchester NH. I think this a good idea if you use postcards and one or two short statements, then ship them to a NH meet up to be looked at and bulk mailed. You could crank out a ton of these simple things in a day.

TVMH
10-31-2007, 01:52 PM
Let's take this to the auxiliary message board.

PM me for details...just put "MB details" in the subject line and I'll send the link.

(I don't want to post the link on the main board here for obvious reasons...serious inquiries only).

Dan Klaus
10-31-2007, 02:31 PM
send me 25 names and addresses if I can help...pm me....I"ll send them from where I live and they might get a kick out of the stamps...

imaginegirl
10-31-2007, 03:03 PM
bump