PDA

View Full Version : NYPD blows up 5,000 pounds of illegal fireworks

Anti Federalist
07-01-2011, 06:52 PM
The video is worth a watch.

Doesn't seem real "safe" to me.

In fact, a much safer and "environmentally friendly" solution would have been to soak them in water and dispose of the residue as hazmat.

But that would have taken the fun out of it for the NYPD.

Land of the free my ass...

NYPD blows up 5,000 pounds of illegal fireworks.

The NYPD has its own big bang theory.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/nypd_big_bang_BnZa5bR01l0SoXuAhmKNMI

Bomb squad technicians today destroyed 5,000 pounds of illegal fireworks -- ranging in size from sparklers to professional pyrotechnics -- ahead of the Fourth of July holiday weekend.

"We want everyone to enjoy the Fourth in the city, but fireworks in the hands of an amateur a Mundane are extremely dangerous and illegal,” said Mayor Bloomberg.

Police says they've busted 70 individuals and seized six vehicles in connection with the transport of illegal fireworks in a massive, city-wide crackdown.

FDNY Fire Marshals in the Firework Enforcement Unit claim to have made 20 arrests, and have seized 300 fireworks cases worth more than $25,000.

“For the last several years, we have been confiscating fireworks, seizing the vehicles of those transporting them, and making arrests,” said Police Commissioner Kelly.

(So, now it's not just drugs that gives the state an excuse to steal your shit - AF)

“These enforcement measures appear to be working, as seizures of fireworks are down again this year compared with this time last year. We encourage everyone to celebrate safely, and have a happy Fourth of July.”

heavenlyboy34
07-01-2011, 07:19 PM
I guess this means people will have to go to Canada or Mexico to celebrate Independence Day (ironically enough ;) ).

AFPVet
07-01-2011, 07:22 PM
They couldn't wait until the 4th?

Humanae Libertas
07-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Doesn't surprise me. Cops always do the opposite of common sense. Last year my local police burned down a home because they believed there to be bombs in there, I don't know about you, but burning down a home doesn't seem very safe to me.

California police are burning down a home that is to be believed to be full of explosives (http://www.realestateradiousa.com/2010/12/09/police-in-california-burn-down-bomb-home-video/)

HOLLYWOOD
07-01-2011, 08:27 PM
EPA going to fine the NYPD/NYC for polluting the AIR or is the Double Standard still in effect?

Napoleon's Shadow
07-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Glad we live in a free society where the government protects us!

/sarcasm

sailingaway
07-01-2011, 08:45 PM
I want to blow up 5000 lbs of fireworks!!! :mad:

But, seriously, why didn't thay wait for the Fourth?

cindy25
07-01-2011, 09:01 PM
I guess this means people will have to go to Canada or Mexico to celebrate Independence Day (ironically enough ;) ).

not Canada, since the 70s; but Ohio, Georgia...........

KCIndy
07-02-2011, 12:54 AM
“For the last several years, we have been confiscating fireworks, seizing the vehicles of those transporting them, and making arrests,” said Police Commissioner Kelly.

“These enforcement measures appear to be working, as seizures of fireworks are down again this year compared with this time last year. We encourage everyone to celebrate safely, and have a happy Fourth of July.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/nypd_big_bang_BnZa5bR01l0SoXuAhmKNMI#ixzz1Qvb44QdE

Jerks.

That's 5,000 pounds of private property seized by overzealous, humorless, nitpicking, interfering, nanny-state loving PC mongers. Seizing the fireworks is bad enough. seizing the vehicles? This is abusive government at its finest.

Land of the free? My ass.

:mad::mad:

tasteless
07-02-2011, 10:25 AM
How founding father John Adams wanted us to celebrate our independence

...I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more.

Contrast with Bloomberg and Commissioner Kelly

We want everyone to enjoy the Fourth in the city, but fireworks in the hands of an amateur are extremely dangerous and illegal.

For the last several years, we have been confiscating fireworks, seizing the vehicles of those transporting them, and making arrests.

malkusm
07-02-2011, 10:29 AM

+rep!

manny229
07-02-2011, 10:40 AM
EPA going to fine the NYPD/NYC for polluting the AIR or is the Double Standard still in effect?

The double standard is still in effect, they are our betters.... don't you forget that!
My previous neighbor was friends with some NYPD detectives who would take confiscated fireworks and set them off in woods for their own amusement.

AFPVet
07-02-2011, 12:22 PM
The double standard is still in effect, they are our betters.... don't you forget that!
My previous neighbor was friends with some NYPD detectives who would take confiscated fireworks and set them off in woods for their own amusement.

These same people are the ones who stand around a ditch burn to get high after they find naturally growing weed lol.

Dr.3D
07-02-2011, 12:46 PM
"We want everyone to enjoy the Fourth in the city, but fireworks in the hands of an amateur a Mundane are extremely dangerous and illegal,” said Mayor Bloomberg.

As if those blowing up the fireworks were not amateurs.

Freedom 4 all
07-02-2011, 02:45 PM

Sounds to me like cops hate America and what Independence day and the Founding Fathers stood for. Perhaps we can use this to educate people.

Dr.3D
07-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Sounds to me like cops hate America and what Independence day and the Founding Fathers stood for. Perhaps we can use this to educate people.

I believe it's more the stupid sons of bitches making the laws that have that covered.

BamaAla
07-02-2011, 09:16 PM
I'll keep you NYC members in my thoughts as I shoot off absurd amounts of artillery shells Monday!

2young2vote
07-02-2011, 09:50 PM
We celebrate the freedom of the country that takes our freedom away.

HOLLYWOOD
07-03-2011, 03:57 AM
T

Bomb squad technicians today destroyed 5,000 pounds of illegal fireworks -- ranging in size from sparklers to professional pyrotechnics -- ahead of the Fourth of July holiday weekend.Sparklers? Some funny shit! Heaven forbid someone have sparklers on their birthday cake.

"We want everyone to enjoy the Fourth in the city, but fireworks in the hands of an amateur a Mundane are extremely dangerous and illegal,” said Mayor Bloomberg.So the fireworks are ok to sell and use to any of the public in like 10 states, but in the hands of New Yorkers, they're too dangerous? Double Speak, moron Bloomberg, you just insulted your NY residents.

“These enforcement measures appear to be working, as seizures of fireworks are down again this year compared with this time last year. We encourage everyone to celebrate safely, and have a happy Fourth of July.”Maybe because the economy sucks so much, the demand isn't there this year to watch your hard earned money go up in a flash?

Dr.3D
07-03-2011, 09:48 AM
So the fireworks are ok to sell and use to any of the public in like 10 states, but in the hands of New Yorkers, they're too dangerous? Double Speak, moron Bloomberg, you just insulted your NY residents.

Isn't that like saying New Yorkers are too stupid to be trusted with fireworks? Those sparklers might poke somebody in the eye ya know. Must be something in the water.