PDA

View Full Version : FDA puts Graphic Images on Cigarette Packaging

VoluntaryAmerican
07-01-2011, 07:29 AM
http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/o...0c95106cf.html

This article sums up my views on it pretty well.

I think now that Healthcare is going state run, other people think they have more control over your body.

sevin
07-01-2011, 07:36 AM
http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/opinion/commentary/citizen-columnist-matthew-turner-i-know-smoking-is-unhealthy-but/article_4ba2d224-4c02-5486-acc2-c010c95106cf.html

This article sums up my views on it pretty well.

I think now that Healthcare is going state run, other people think they have more control over your body.

Yup. Wouldn't be surprised if they started taxing meat and other "unhealthy" foods. Meanwhile, high-carb preservative-packed Lean Cuisines and other BS health foods will become even more popular.

smartguy911
07-01-2011, 07:40 AM
I am all for graphic images on cigarette packaging. I remember watching the interview where Dr. Paul was talking about how ultrasound made girls think twice about abortion. It even converted this pro abortion doctor to go pro life after he saw the baby on ultrasound.

Educating people is a good thing before they do anything silly.

specsaregood
07-01-2011, 07:43 AM
I am all for graphic images on cigarette packaging. I remember watching the interview where Dr. Paul was talking about how ultrasound made girls think twice about abortion. It even converted this pro abortion doctor to go pro life after he saw the baby on ultrasound.

About a decade ago I was a smoker and visiting canada. I bought some of their crappy cigarettes and discovered they had such graphic images on them. My friends and I laughed about the pictures as we smoked to our hearts content.

V3n
07-01-2011, 07:49 AM
The more the government tries to stop us from smoking, the more I'm convinced it's GOT to be good for you somehow!

sevin
07-01-2011, 08:12 AM
The more the government tries to stop us from smoking, the more I'm convinced it's GOT to be good for you somehow!

Yeah, or there's at least some other ulterior motive. Why does the government care so much about it?

aowen
07-01-2011, 08:19 AM

HAHAHA! I think you might be on to something. Seriously though, smoking sucks. However, be careful guys. Its real easy to be pro freedom and against big government until they do something that you happen to like. The principled small government decision would be for government to get out of the tobacco industry all together. If a private group wants to get together and spread the word of the dangers of tobacco use, by all means, PLEASE DO IT!

CaseyJones
07-01-2011, 08:21 AM
lights a PallMall Red 100 .... smooth :)

Yieu
07-01-2011, 08:26 AM
Yup. Wouldn't be surprised if they started taxing meat and other "unhealthy" foods. Meanwhile, high-carb preservative-packed Lean Cuisines and other BS health foods will become even more popular.

Heh, if they removed the heavy subsidies on meat, and on the grain they feed the animals, that would raise the price quite a bit. I don't want to see more taxes, but I do want to see a removal of the subsidies. People might freak out when they see how much it would have to cost without subsidies, but it shouldn't be on the taxpayer's dime.

The graphic image propaganda is kind of hilarious. It's almost like we're living in a joke reality where they think it will have any effect on committed smokers at all. People might be more likely to start enjoying the grotesque style of the images and try to catch 'em all.

acptulsa
07-01-2011, 08:29 AM
Yeah, or there's at least some other ulterior motive. Why does the government care so much about it?

Did you miss the OP?

The more they can demonize smokers and paint them as a drag on you, a threat to your health, and/or a drain on the health care system that serves you, the more they can incrementalize and set ugly precedents. So, they will if we let them.

VoluntaryAmerican
07-01-2011, 08:41 AM

The problem with this arguement is that people that start smoking nowadays in their teenage years know about the dangers of smoking. As the article says, kids learn about smoking and see way worse pictures in the 5th grade... so education is no longer an excusse, it's simply personal choice.

V3n
07-01-2011, 08:47 AM
People might be more likely to start enjoying the grotesque style of the images and try to catch 'em all.

I LOL'd.

pipewerKz
07-01-2011, 09:30 AM
We should all be against government intervention in private business. This raises the cost to consumers because of the extra burden on the producers. Any of you Camel smokers out there, I'm sure we can plan on less 1.50 off one pack coupons :(

Really... People don't know smoking is bad for your health? Maybe we just assume because nanny government is always there. Hell, we saw it with the airlines just this week. The business doesn't even care about our safety, they think the TSA has got it locked up yet someone ended up flying NY to LA with an expired boarding pass.

In NV we have commercials running that say smoking cigs is responsible for deforestation. Just one less thing I'd like my tax money to be spent on.

EDIT: ah, found it, lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhAN_V82yhw

Echoes
07-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Nobody is putting guns to people heads and forcing them to smoke, i mean do we have to go through this over and over again--the whole drug thingy and the freedom to harm yourself. Govt has zero right to intrude on businesses and force them to put 'protection' stamps on products. It's a clear violation, and im pretty sure Ron would be against this.

JTforRP
07-01-2011, 10:19 AM
If they really cared about people's health they would just slap a sticker on the package that says "You know, you could just vaporize weed instead."

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-01-2011, 10:20 AM
I hate smoking, but this is dumb as shit. What's next, putting pictures of 650lb obese women on packages of Doritos?

Echoes
07-01-2011, 10:21 AM
I hate smoking, but this is dumb as shit. What's next, putting pictures of 650lb obese women on packages of Doritos?

LoL

PermanentSleep
07-01-2011, 10:34 AM

Because cigarettes have the ability to calm most people down, giving them sort of a 5 minute vacation from the backward ass, nonsensical blabber spewing from the television, and even though I already chose to smoke outside because I think it's polite, the smoking bans in restaurants and bars actually backfired because now we are forced to spend our 5 minute vacations outdoors with the full view of nature's glory and power. The last thing authority wants is for you to stop being scared and anxious, so a little nicotine here and there is like throwing a wrench in the gears of their machine. Ok, that may be over exaggerating, but the War on Smokers must have some insidious, altering motive lol. I mean, they've pushed it and financed more than the war on poverty, probably.

PermanentSleep
07-01-2011, 10:36 AM
If they really cared about people's health they would just slap a sticker on the package that says "You know, you could just vaporize weed instead."

Lol. Win.

trey4sports
07-01-2011, 10:53 AM
What is becoming of America.....

mit26chell
07-01-2011, 10:53 AM

Right? It's just like with Marijuana, where THC, it's main ingredient, is known to shrink malignant tumors of many different types of cancer when injected at the site!

Slutter McGee
07-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Cigarette Pack covers. Something simple and reusable. I want 10% for coming up with the idea.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

pcosmar
07-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Cigarette Pack covers. Something simple and reusable. I want 10% for coming up with the idea.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee
Too late, been done.

I have a Plastic TOP box.
https://www.rollingpapers.com/images/rollers/th-box-plastic-top.gif

Anti Federalist
07-01-2011, 01:46 PM
The more they can demonize smokers and paint them as a drag on you, a threat to your health, and/or a drain on the health care system that serves you, the more they can incrementalize and set ugly precedents. So, they will if we let them.

There it is, writ large.

That is what all this nonsense is about, right there.

And nobody will care, "good, sock it to those smokers and their filthy habit".

And then it will be their filthy habit, whatever that may be. Worked like a charm selling "progressive" income taxation. People are very predictable and easily manipulated.

And more freedom will die.

Anti Federalist
07-01-2011, 01:49 PM

http://karendecoster.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/doritos-1.jpg

VBRonPaulFan
07-01-2011, 02:47 PM
up next on FDA agenda: put pictures of dismembered and mutilated bodies from drunk driving crashes on alcohol boxes.

it is all about dividing the people and making people who don't smoke hate smokers, and making smokers who do smoke feel guilty for doing it. that way they can tax it to no end and make sure that you either don't care or feel like you're obligated to. such bullshit.

specsaregood
07-01-2011, 02:58 PM
up next on FDA agenda: put pictures of dismembered and mutilated bodies from drunk driving crashes on alcohol boxes.

it is all about dividing the people and making people who don't smoke hate smokers, and making smokers who do smoke feel guilty for doing it. that way they can tax it to no end and make sure that you either don't care or feel like you're obligated to. such bullshit.

So when do we get FDA mandated pictures of dismembered, blown-up dead soldiers on the campaign signs of our warmongers in washington?

Sola_Fide
07-01-2011, 03:01 PM
About a decade ago I was a smoker and visiting canada. I bought some of their crappy cigarettes and discovered they had such graphic images on them. My friends and I laughed about the pictures as we smoked to our hearts content.

LoL

QueenB4Liberty
07-01-2011, 03:07 PM

hahahaha I LOLed!

TheBlackPeterSchiff
07-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Cool! Something to look at while I smoke. Thanks tax payers :D

BarryDonegan
07-01-2011, 04:33 PM
You know what would be a funny protest? Put similar images on the packaging of other mildly unsafe products and see if that inspires a ban. For example, make a bicycle helmet that says, bicycle helmets improve bicycle safety, but there are still risks despite the use of the helmet, such as... followed by grisly pictures of bicycle fatalities. How much do you want to bet that someone would try to put the banhammer down on that.

VoluntaryAmerican
07-01-2011, 06:38 PM
http://karendecoster.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/doritos-1.jpg
FDA APPROVED!

Comming soon to a Doritos pack near you!

Golding
07-01-2011, 08:58 PM
I wonder if this means the FDA will be fined in Tennessee.

DamianTV
07-03-2011, 04:22 AM

Foot in the door.

pcosmar
07-03-2011, 06:53 AM
Foot in the door.

nose in the tent.

Napoleon's Shadow
08-03-2011, 06:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8WIj1_cNdE

Revolution9
08-03-2011, 07:15 AM

Because several pharmceutical companies are doing extensive research into nicotine derived compounds for such things as Parkinsons and other old age shakes diseases, memory drugs, nicotine even stops anemia. Never seen an anemic smoker..have ya? It also kills pneumococcus bacteria and tuberculosis on contact.

HTH
Rev9