PDA

View Full Version : OH - Police 'Flash Mob' Beats, Tasers Mentally Handicapped Teen

Anti Federalist
06-30-2011, 09:22 PM
Police 'Flash Mob' Beats, Tasers Mentally Handicapped Teen

Posted by William Grigg on June 30, 2011 02:20 PM

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/90540.html

Jesse Kersey, a mentally handicapped 17-year-old, was riding his bicycle near his home and otherwise minding his own business when he was accosted by a stranger named Willie Hooper, an armed enforcer in the employ of the city of Dayton, Ohio. Jesse, who suffers from a speech impediment, found it impossible to communicate with Hooper. Accordingly, he went home to find his mother, Pamela Ford, in the hope that she could help.

Hooper, like many others in his chosen occupation, apparently is an individual in which immense, unearned self-regard co-exists with incurable obtuseness. Although he had previously been informed of Jesse's disabilities, he chose to perceive the youngster's stammering as a "diss." So he sent out a call for "backup" and barged—- uninvited and without legal authority of any kind — into the family's home. When a neighbor attempted to explain, once again, that Jesse had a speech impediment, the officer snarled a threat to arrest him if he didn't go back into his house.

Hooper was quickly joined on the scene by Officer John Howard, and this brace of valiant protectors of public order shot the cringing, terrified youngster in the back with their Tasers while his mother pleaded with them to stop. When the Portable Electro-Shock Torture devices failed to subdue Jesse, Howard doused him in pepper spray, then assaulted him with his fists and a police-issue club called an ASP. Within a few minutes, at least twenty other officers materialized to assist in taking down a single harmless, handicapped youngster, who was handcuffed and hog-tied before being hauled off to jail.

As is customary in such incidents of officially sanctioned gang violence, the victim was charged with "assault on a peace officer," resisting arrest, and obstructing official business. Those charges were dismissed after a judge ruled that Jesse wasn't competent to stand trial. Neither of Jesse's assailants has been charged with a crime — such as assault with a deadly weapon or attempted homicide, both of which would be suitable — or faced professional discipline of any kind.

In recent weeks, a great deal of attention has been lavished on the subject of "flash mob" assaults involving criminal gangs — often numbering dozens or more — who coalesce through social media to commit acts of robbery and other criminal violence. Assuming that this is a legitimate trend, it would represent the adoption by private criminal gangs of methods and tactics long employed by their much more violent State-licensed counterparts.

brandon
06-30-2011, 09:28 PM
I read this story earlier today. I'm no cop defender, but I'ma bit skeptical of the details in this story. The actual incident happened over a year ago, and is just finally being publicized now that the family is seeking financial compensation. We only have one side of the story, from the people who are seeking the financial gain.

The story as written just seems so incredibly unbelievable that I have a hard time accepting there isn't more to it. I'll reserve judgement on this one until more details come to light. Just because someone is mentally challenged doesn't mean that they can't be a physical threat.

Danke
06-30-2011, 09:30 PM
Police 'Flash Mob'

hahaha

flightlesskiwi
06-30-2011, 09:31 PM
Jesse and his mom seek damages from the city and the two lead officers, for false imprisonment, false arrest, malicious prosecution, assault, battery, excessive use of force, infliction of emotional distress and civil conspiracy.
They are represented by Richard Boucher. http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/06/29/37770.htm

i cannot imagine watching this happen to my child. ugh!!!!!!

Pericles
06-30-2011, 09:34 PM
Police 'Flash Mob'

hahaha

That was good, wasn't it-

pcosmar
07-01-2011, 07:32 AM
I read this story earlier today. I'm no cop defender, but I'ma bit skeptical of the details in this story. The actual incident happened over a year ago, and is just finally being publicized now that the family is seeking financial compensation. We only have one side of the story, from the people who are seeking the financial gain.

The story as written just seems so incredibly unbelievable that I have a hard time accepting there isn't more to it. I'll reserve judgement on this one until more details come to light. Just because someone is mentally challenged doesn't mean that they can't be a physical threat.

What more of it? What reason was there to attack a kid riding a bike in the first place? (There were no charges) The only charges were from the attack, not for any crime prior to the attack.
And those charges were dropped.
Of course the people are suing. They want some level of justice.
That is what you do after being unjustifiably beaten and arrested by police.

It is being reported now because it is in court now.
http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/06/29/37770.htm

ghengis86
07-01-2011, 07:36 AM
The story as written just seems so incredibly unbelievable

Better start believing in the police state; the police sure do.

amy31416
07-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Some day they will beat up a child who has parents that aren't total cowards.

Anti Federalist
07-01-2011, 01:39 PM

True, but that's when many of these stories come to light for the first time.

More:

http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/06/29/37770.htm

DAYTON, Ohio (CN) - Dayton police "mistook" a mentally handicapped teenager's speech impediment for "disrespect," so they Tasered, pepper-sprayed and beat him and called for backup from "upward of 20 police officers" after the boy rode his bicycle home to ask his mother for help, the boy's mom says.

Pamela Ford says her "mentally challenged/handicapped" son Jesse Kersey, 17, was riding his bike near his Dayton home when Officer Willie Hooper stopped him and tried to talk to him.

The mom says that "Prior to the incident described below, defendant Hooper knew Jesse and was aware that Jesse was mentally challenged/handicapped and a minor child."

Nonetheless, Ford says, Hooper "apparently took Jesse's speech impediment for disrespect ... [and] began yelling at Jesse and after Jesse attempted to communicate with him[.] Jesse, being a minor and mentally challenged/handicapped, turned and rode his bike back to his home in an attempt to ask his mother, Ford, to help him communicate with defendant Cooper," according to the complaint in Montgomery County Court.

On the way, the mom says, "A neighbor attempted to communicate with Officer Hooper about Jesse's disabilities and was told to go back into his home, or he would be arrested."

As Ford opened her front door, she says, Hooper and co-defendant Officer John Howard, "fired their Tasers, striking Jesse in the back with both probes."

"Once inside the house, defendant Hooper and defendant Howard began to struggle with Jesse, who was standing against the back door with his hands up in front of his face, saying 'Please quit, please quit.'

"On numerous occasions, Ford and a family friend, Christopher Peyton, informed Officer Hooper that Jesse was mentally challenged/handicapped, and that Jesse did not understand what was happening," the complaint states.

But the mom says the cops continued their assault: "Officer Howard utilized his Cap-Stun pepper spray and sprayed Jesse ... [and] struck Jesse with a closed fist in the upper chest area.

"Officer Howard utilized his ASP and repeatedly struck Jesse in the upper left side of his left thigh.

"Back-up units were requested to Jesse's house, wherein upward of 20 police officers from different jurisdictions were present.

"At no point, even after being advised of Jesse's mental challenge/handicap by Jesse's family and numerous bystanders, did defendant Hooper, defendant Howard, or any other police officer present, attempt to communicate with Jesse or explain in terms he could understand as to why Jesse was being chased.

"Jesse was handcuffed and hogtied before being placed in the back of a police cruiser.

"Jesse was charged with assault on a peace officer, resisting arrest, and obstructing official business."

However, "Jesse was declared incompetent by the Montgomery County Juvenile Court and the charges against Jesse were dismissed."

Jesse and his mom seek damages from the city and the two lead officers, for false imprisonment, false arrest, malicious prosecution, assault, battery, excessive use of force, infliction of emotional distress and civil conspiracy.

They are represented by Richard Boucher.

heavenlyboy34
08-03-2011, 06:10 PM
AF-the OP story made headlines at Russia Today, fyi. http://rt.com/usa/news/disabled-boy-hooper-jesse/

DamianTV
08-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Police 'Flash Mob'

hahaha

http://images.halloweencostumes.com/frank-the-flasher.jpg

I couldnt find one of someone wearing a police hat.

Carehn
08-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Some day they will beat up a child who has parents that aren't total cowards.

Thats the day you read on the news that some meth head killed a town hero who left behind a wife and loving family. Then for 10 minuets you will hear from his friends about how he just wanted to help people and was always there for anyone. then you will see it be used to raise funding for the police and it will work.

acptulsa
08-04-2011, 08:02 AM
Thats the day you read on the news that some meth head killed a town hero who left behind a wife and loving family. Then for 10 minuets you will hear from his friends about how he just wanted to help people and was always there for anyone. then you will see it be used to raise funding for the police and it will work.

Or you'll hear about a parent and child both ganging up on police and both getting plugged for their trouble. Or, if he or she keeps his or her head, you'll hear nothing at all. If you have sharp eyes, you might catch a 'charges were dropped' notice, but that's about it. Maybe add a 'disciplinary action was considered against officer X but not pursued', but I doubt it. They usually don't advertise such things.

They don't much advertise their 'Little Wacos' any more. Didn't get such a good reaction as they wanted from the big ones. They're still trying to justify that Radical Mormon Roust from a while back, in fact. With middling success.

If a father falls in the line of duty, does he make a sound?

flightlesskiwi
08-04-2011, 08:13 AM
If a father falls in the line of duty, does he make a sound?

snap.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to acptulsa again.