PDA

View Full Version : Need book ideas for our troops

realtonygoodwin
06-30-2011, 12:03 PM
I am looking for recommendations for small, easy to read books to send in care packages for deployed troops.

The Law
Whatever Happened to Penny Candy?

are the two I have been able to come up with so far. Any others that would be good? I don't want them blatantly political.

emazur
06-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Ayn Rand's Anthem

realtonygoodwin
06-30-2011, 02:29 PM
Dunno how well Rand would go over...

newyearsrevolution08
06-30-2011, 02:31 PM
I would send them "the art of war" so they can remember how true wars were fought and won and USUALLY ENDED at some point in time.....

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
06-30-2011, 02:32 PM
Revolution: A Manifesto is a quick read which would not make a real thick package. I would also suggest "The Real Lincoln" by Thomas DiLorenzo. You would be surprised at the amount of people who will wake up to modern issues once they realize they have been lied to about their history.

TastyWheat
06-30-2011, 03:59 PM
"The Revolution" and "Liberty Defined" are both quick and easy reads, not necessarily small though.

BamaAla
06-30-2011, 04:01 PM
"War is a Racket" is a very short read that may or may not go over well.

Dorfsmith
06-30-2011, 04:19 PM
Pocket Constitutions.

I think The Revolution is a perfect sized book for those in the military. If you want something super short, I've seen copies of The War Prayer at used bookstores.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/twain1.html

heavenlyboy34
06-30-2011, 04:25 PM
"A Foreign Policy of Freedom". http://www.amazon.com/Foreign-Policy-Freedom-Commerce-Friendship/dp/0912453001 (you can also buy this through LRC, IIRC)

gerryb
06-30-2011, 04:45 PM
The Sheriff: America's Last Hope by Sheriff Richard Mack

Lots of these guys will go into law enforcement -- and the stories the Sheriff tells of writing tickets and police department corruption -- and the Constitution -- are all relevant to the grunt-work of the infantry...

Vessol
06-30-2011, 05:54 PM
"War is a Racket" is a very short read that may or may not go over well.

This^^

Point out to them that Smedley Butler is a Medal of Honor winning Marine who was very well respected in the military.

realtonygoodwin
07-01-2011, 01:26 AM
I would like to avoid anything really war-related, specifically, or written by a politician. Great ideas so far though, keep em' coming!

Tinnuhana
07-01-2011, 02:18 AM
I've been passing around Peter Schiff's book, "How an Economy Grows and Why It Crashes". One guy went out and bought five copies to give his family members. Quick read and humorous.
The marine/navy libraries are all connected and books get passed around. It took a year for my donated copy of End the Fed to actually show up on the Foster library shelves. There are four copies in the system, including at 29 Palms and the base at San Diego. So if there's a marine base near you, donate several copies and we'll see if they make the rounds to all the bases.lI'm not sure how the air force libraries handle things.
Also, our USO has a book loan section that could be useful, so contact the USO and see what they offer.

muzzled dogg
07-01-2011, 06:57 AM
liberty defined?