PDA

View Full Version : Operation Iowa Church phone calls

robertwerden
06-30-2011, 11:06 AM
here is a list of all the churches in Iowa.
[Mod note: link removed]

Call each one and tell them you think they should support Ron Paul.

Mod note: The idea and initiative on this are appreciated, but the suggestion / implantation of this have clear conflicts with the campaigns objectives and plans, see some comments below. Topic closed. Thanks for understanding.

LibertyEagle
06-30-2011, 11:08 AM
I dunno. This, I would be extremely careful about. The campaign has clearly spent time focusing on these folks.

At the very least, we sure don't want a bunch of people calling them. It could have the opposite effect that we are wanting. It could drive them away.

sailingaway
06-30-2011, 11:11 AM
I dunno. This, I would be extremely careful about. The campaign has clearly spent time focusing on these folks.

At the very least, we sure don't want a bunch of people calling them. It could have the opposite effect that we are wanting. It could drive them away.

I agree with this. The campaign is working with religious leaders. Calling the volunteer manning the desk to say they should support Ron Paul might be counterproductive.

BUT Bierfeldt today just asked people to sign up to phone bank for Iowa, and says he will be contacting volunteers soon, so if you are willing to make calls, sign up!! they need volunteers. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?301158-Help-Ron-Paul-ID-Iowa-Supporters

robertwerden
06-30-2011, 11:13 AM
I thought about that, but Huckabee did well with the church in Iowa and there is a vacuum right now. Ron can't talk to every single church and a simple phone call to say, "I am a Ron Paul supporter, and I would greatly appreciate if you would consider endorsing him, thank you." can't hurt

John of Des Moines
06-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Yup, start calling Iowa churches and help fuck-up the ground work laid during the last four years.

LibertyEagle
06-30-2011, 11:17 AM
I thought about that, but Huckabee did well with the church in Iowa and there is a vacuum right now. Ron can't talk to every single church and a simple phone call to say, "I am a Ron Paul supporter, and I would greatly appreciate if you would consider endorsing him, thank you." can't hurt

Yes, it could hurt. If they get inundated.

Huckabee bought a mailing list of Christians. It had something to do with the Passion of the Christ movie.

angelatc
06-30-2011, 11:21 AM

Yes, it absolutely can hurt. For one thing, churches aren't supposed to mix politics with religion according to the IRS. I like to think that restriction wouldn't hold up in court, but it's pretty selfish to possibly put them in the position of defending themselves in an expensive court case without their consent.

Additionally, it's just pathetic to use people's spirituality for political purposes, especially if you're not even a Christian.

steph3n
06-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Very few churches or pastors 'endorse' anyone, they do it for ethical, and religious reasons.

I personally would leave any church that endorsed or got involved in political matters from the pulpit or the newsletter.

there's a time and a place, and it isn't the church.

cheapseats
06-30-2011, 11:28 AM

I dunno, for a different reason. And I would be extremely careful, for a different reason.

The "Right" (more like, ONE SIDE) will vote Republican, period. The OTHER SIDE (which, in retrospect, is lucky it didn't knee-jerk its way into calling itself WRONG instead of LEFT) will vote Democrat, period. Both SIDES (not least because neither "original" i.e. "good" Tea Party nor Ron Paul had the nerve to play the Third Party Card, despite overwhelming disillusionment with the two-party stranglehold) are vying for the middle, what, twenty percent?

Be they Old Guard Hardright Republicans or Newly Enlightened (Newfangled, depending your point of view) "libertarian leaning" Republicans, the more they PANDER to Made in the U.S.A. Religious Extremists, the more they WON'T win the Voters who are actually up for grabs.

DENIS DIDEROT: Disturbances in society are never more fearful than when those who are stirring up the trouble can use the pretext of religion to mask their true designs.

What's the Republican game plan if there is a groundswell of public demand for SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE? As taxes rise, it is increasingly likely that beleaguered Taxpayers are gonna (FINALLY) start making angry noises about WHO is tax-exempt, and WHY. Certainly they SHOULD.

I GET IT, that Evangelicals are pushing their agenda. It's what they DO. Got themselves their OWN New World Order, haven't they? But why do Republicans fear them enough to pander to them? It's not like they're gonna vote Democrat instead. And it's NOT like they're gonna stay home and LET godless Liberals HAVE elections by default.

They CLEARLY don't fear for their souls. It's GOTTA be money, right? What ELSE?

LibertyEagle
06-30-2011, 11:40 AM
What's the Republican game plan if there is a groundswell of public demand for SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE? As taxes rise, it is increasingly likely that beleaguered Taxpayers are gonna (FINALLY) start making angry noises about WHO is tax-exempt, and WHY. Certainly they SHOULD.

Wrong.

The notion of a rigid separation between church and state has no basis in either the text of the Constitution or the writings of our Founding Fathers. On the contrary, our Founders' political views were strongly informed by their religious beliefs. Certainly the drafters of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, both replete with references to God, would be aghast at the federal government's hostility to religion. The establishment clause of the First Amendment was simply intended to forbid the creation of an official state church like the Church of England, not to drive religion out of public life. - Ron Paul
http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul148.html

Note: By the way, cheapseats, if you feel it necessary to drip venom about Christians, please be so kind as to limit it to the Religion subforum. Maybe you don't realize it, but a large percentage of voting Republicans are Christians. As is Ron Paul.

Pro-Life Libertarian
That isn't a good idea.

Churches can't legally endorse a candidate if they want to remain tax exempt.

sailingaway

Except that this is a key to their strategy, I would really hate to mess it up in any way. I agree your call sounds innocuous except that people get pissed from telemarketing calls, I don't even like Ron's. I know what is going on because I track it so closely, don't need them, and figure it is a waste of their money to call me -- I kinda wish there were a gentle way to opt out unless they need to coordinate for something.

Napoleon's Shadow
The Director of Ron Paul's Iowa operation has asked everyone to do the following:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?301158-Help-Ron-Paul-ID-Iowa-Supporters

cheapseats
...The campaign is working with religious leaders...[/url]

How DO Atheists, Agnostics and Secularists -- some of whom are MORE than "liberty leaning," who are UNAMBIGUOUSLY PRO LIBERTY AND PRO CONSTITUTION -- feel about this?

sailingaway
06-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Yes, it could hurt. If they get inundated.

Huckabee bought a mailing list of Christians. It had something to do with the Passion of the Christ movie.

Faith and freedom or something just sent emails for Bachmann :( it says it hasn't endorsed yet, but the email says 'FINALLY a Constitutional Conservative in the race!' as if Ron weren't a far better one than she.... some thought she might have just rented their list, but it looked like they sent it.

sailingaway
06-30-2011, 11:44 AM
How DO Atheists, Agnostics and Secularists -- some of whom are MORE than "liberty leaning," who are UNAMBIGUOUSLY PRO LIBERTY AND PRO CONSTITUTION -- feel about this?

The campaign is working with them too. What problem do you see with this? You think the campaign shouldn't work with everyone? Churches are a place with centralized groups, give us emails of an atheist group, and I'm sure the campaign would like to have them. You seem to be pretty anti religion for someone unambiguously pro-Constititution

cheapseats
06-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Wrong.

Allow me to rephrase:

What's the Republican game plan if there is a groundswell of public demand for SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE? As taxes rise, it is increasingly likely that beleaguered Taxpayers are gonna (FINALLY) start making angry noises about WHO is tax-exempt, and WHY.

Note: By the way, cheapseats, if you feel it necessary to drip venom about Christians, please be so kind as to limit it to the Religion subforum.

I have an extensive base of posts on Twitter that will confirm for any Magistrate in the land that I not only do NOT "drip venom about Christians," but that I chastise Christian-Bashers as both Hypocrites (for treating Islam/Muhammad with kid gloves) AND as playing into hands of Masterminds who DIVIDE & CONQUER as a way of life.

LibertyEagle
06-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Faith and freedom or something just sent emails for Bachmann :( it says it hasn't endorsed yet, but the email says 'FINALLY a Constitutional Conservative in the race!' as if Ron weren't a far better one than she.... some thought she might have just rented their list, but it looked like they sent it.

Ugh. :( Looks like the Iowa campaign has more work to do.

LibertyEagle
06-30-2011, 11:50 AM
Cheapseats, if you want to discuss this, why don't you start a thread in the religion subforum.

libertarian4321
06-30-2011, 11:59 AM

Anyone who has seen my posts knows that I'm not buying what the church/religions (any of them) are shoveling. However, it's an unfortunate reality that no candidate can be elected in the USA without kowtowing to the Christian church. So I don't have a problem with the campaign working with church leaders- just so long as they don't do something absurd like promise to resurrect Bush's idiotic "faith based initiative."