PDA

View Full Version : Help the Hendersons Get Their Childen Back

tropicangela
06-29-2011, 04:40 PM
http://www.facebook.com/notes/amy-gow/help-the-hendersons-get-their-childen-back/10150298292582783

Last May (2010), a neighbour of the Hendersons made an anonymous hotline call to CPS (Child Protective Services) in Pasadena California. The neighbour had been in an ongoing dispute with the Hendersons and claimed to have witness Jeffrey Pierce Henderson slapping his daughter.

Police showed up at the Henderson's door and demanded entry. When requested, they would not share their badge information with the Hendersons. The parents held the children up to the window to demonstrate that they were fine. The police insisted on entering the home, and the parents refused. Please note that the police were not carrying a warrant and the Hendersons understood that they had no legal right to enter their home. Here is a video of the police at the door:

The police then proceeded to break down the door. Jeffrey was beaten in front of his wife and children, taken to hospital and then put in jail for two months. As far as I understand, he was not formally charged (in CA you can be held without charge for up to 80 days). Erica was 7 months pregnant at the time. When Jeffrey was finally released, she had their son Elijah the next day at home unassisted.

The Hendersons won a case in regards to the happenings last May...and then were both arrested and jailed in April of this year. The Hendersons were charged with criminal misconduct for refusing to allow the police to enter their home without a search warrant. They were both arrested and jailed. The children were placed with CPS for "child endangerment" stemming from the incident. The Hendersons were not given an option to find an alternate family member or friend to care for their children.

The six children were place initially in several different foster homes. They are now in two different homes. Erica suffered mastitis while in prison (she had been nursing her youngest two boys when arrested) and was not given a breastpump. Jeffrey was denied kosher food as required by his religious beliefs and lost almost 50 lbs while in jail.

After several trial delays, Erica and Jeffrey's case was dismissed due to lack of grounds. They were released from incarceration on June 22. They were renting their home and while in jail, lost their apartment and all their possessions. The only thing they still have is their van.

Jeffrey and Erica are now dealing with the legal issues surrounding getting their children back from CPS. There was a court order in place for Elijah, the baby, to receive screened breastmilk but this hasn't happened. He is now swollen and has sores all over his body and his mother presumes it is from the formula he is being fed. Erica suspects the children have been vaccinated while in care because the boys told her of the doctor hurting them with sharp things in their arms. The parents are allowed to see the children twice a week. Repeated calls to the CPS agency have not been returned or adequatly answered. The social workers have been charged $200 at a hearing because they have not followed court orders in regards to the children.

Jeffrey and Erica's lawyer is now back from vacation. They have a CPS hearing set for July 13. Please stay tuned to find out how you can help them through media and other action. In the meantime, please consider contributing to their PayPal account at the following link:

http://www.sovereignparty.com/

Please share this and pray for this family. They need our support.

Kylie
06-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Nuts. The world has truly gone sideways.

I don't know how those poor parents could deal with this. I would be a total wreck and ready to steal my own children back and go on the lamb.

In fact, I probably already would have. God speed to them in this time of tribulation. Please pass it around all over the net.

dannno
06-29-2011, 05:14 PM
While I don't condone slapping your children, and have absolutely no clue whether the father was doing so or not, considering there were no marks on their face when CPS showed up I'm pretty sure his kids would have been much better off without the state getting involved and maybe taking a few slaps to the face if that's what was happening.

Not to mention the fact that at this point these people are essentially having their kids taken away for trying to protect their 4th amendment rights.

Kylie
06-29-2011, 05:35 PM
While I don't condone slapping your children, and have absolutely no clue whether the father was doing so or not, considering there were no marks on their face when CPS showed up I'm pretty sure his kids would have been much better off without the state getting involved and maybe taking a few slaps to the face if that's what was happening.

Not to mention the fact that at this point these people are essentially having their kids taken away for trying to protect their 4th amendment rights.

I think that's the whole point of the situation, isn't it?

Cops got pissed because they were not allowed willful entry into the home.

Who's to say if this nosey neighbor just didn't like this family or was a little nuts herself?

It's just nuts that they can do shit like this. I mean really, what rational person would beat a man and then take his children away without seeing something violent happen?

dannno
06-29-2011, 05:41 PM
I think that's the whole point of the situation, isn't it?

Cops got pissed because they were not allowed willful entry into the home.

Who's to say if this nosey neighbor just didn't like this family or was a little nuts herself?

It's just nuts that they can do shit like this. I mean really, what rational person would beat a man and then take his children away without seeing something violent happen?

Well a lot of people (not so many on this forum) would like to see a heavy-handed CPS to ensure children are protected.. but they don't realize how much the state screws up the children they take in. They would also tend to think, I would imagine, that by barring entry to their home they were trying to hide something. That's really not always the case, some people do believe in protecting their 4th amendment rights on principle. Many well intentioned people don't see it that way.

Perhaps if a parent(s) is found to be slapping their child and leaving marks, they could go to jail for a short time, maybe even serve their time on weekends. If both parents are doing it, then perhaps they can serve on alternate weekends so that they can ensure their work and income are not disrupted and there is someone there to take care of their child.

Of course in this case there is no evidence at all, the police should have never entered their home, or tried to get a warrant.

qh4dotcom
06-29-2011, 05:47 PM
I hope they get their children back. Are the Hendersons Ron Paul supporters?

Anti Federalist
06-29-2011, 05:52 PM
Just another day in the dying empire.

It'll you or me next time.

amy31416
06-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Perhaps if a parent(s) is found to be slapping their child and leaving marks, they could go to jail for a short time, maybe even serve their time on weekends. If both parents are doing it, then perhaps they can serve on alternate weekends so that they can ensure their work and income are not disrupted and there is someone there to take care of their child.

There is no facepalm facepalmy enough for this suggestion.

James Madison
06-29-2011, 06:05 PM
One more reason to abandon the urban centers.

dannno
06-29-2011, 06:12 PM
There is no facepalm facepalmy enough for this suggestion.

So you think it would be better for the state to take them away or ruin their lives over a single incident? Or are you against imprisoning parents for slapping children and leaving marks? Can't there be a middle-ground?

Again, I would prefer to take the Stef Molyneux route if I had kids and not use any violence and try to avoid raising my voice at all costs (unless they are in eminent danger).

However.. when it's somebody else's kids, you have to ask yourself.. If YOU aren't willing to take them yourself and raise them, then somebody else has to. Is it really better that the state take over in this case when they will very likely end up being abused and neglected even worse?

Sorry for taking the Gary Johnson cost benefit approach, but when you're truly looking out for the well being of the child I think that is what needs to happen.

amy31416
06-29-2011, 06:20 PM
So you think it would be better for the state to take them away or ruin their lives over a single incident? Or are you against imprisoning parents for slapping children and leaving marks? Can't there be a middle-ground?

Again, I would prefer to take the Stef Molyneux route if I had kids and not use any violence and try to avoid raising my voice at all costs (unless they are in eminent danger).

However.. when it's somebody else's kids, you have to ask yourself.. If YOU aren't willing to take them yourself and raise them, then somebody else has to. Is it really better that the state take over in this case when they will very likely end up being abused and neglected even worse?

Sorry for taking the Gary Johnson cost benefit approach, but when you're truly looking out for the well being of the child I think that is what needs to happen.

I'd be willing to personally take the kids if the parents were slapping them hard enough to bruise, for Christ's sake. Do you have any idea how hard you have to slap someone to leave a bruise? Jesus.

You can't leave kids with people who are slapping them so hard that they're bruised. No, the state/gov't isn't a great answer, but god damn, to leave them there, knowing that they're being abused? Hell no. Didn't you read that thread about the woman who killed her child by hitting him so hard that his internal organs ruptured?

I've known some folks who were foster parents, and they were all decent people--and yes, I'm aware that there are some foster parents who are just as abusive, but at least you aren't leaving children in an environment where it's guaranteed that they'll be abused.

Kylie
06-29-2011, 06:23 PM

Yes. Public humiliation and ostracization, just like we do others whose behavior we, as a society, deem unacceptable.

The state has been shown to have a worse effect on some of the children they take in than the actual abusive situation from which they were removed.

The obvious immediate answer would be if the child is being abused, then a family member not living in the home should take them while the situation is being sorted. This will lessen the chance of the parents losing the child permanently like they do with the state. And the child will be in an environment they are somewhat used to, so the move would not be so much of a shock and upset to them(I hope).

I dunno. If I were to see my nephew being abused, I would take him. Of course I would. But I'm a mom, so I'm not unbiased. :)

amyre
06-29-2011, 06:25 PM
I think that everyone would agree that kids shouldn't be left in an abusive situation (or moved into an entirely new one with different people). In my opinion, the problem is with the way it was handled. Guilty until proven innocent makes for a dicey situation for everyone involved (especially the kids who need stability and love).

angelatc
06-29-2011, 06:32 PM
I'd be willing to personally take the kids if the parents were slapping them hard enough to bruise, for Christ's sake. Do you have any idea how hard you have to slap someone to leave a bruise? Jesus.

You can't leave kids with people who are slapping them so hard that they're bruised.

Slapping a kid means something is wrong to begin with. I have nothing against corporal punishment, and I've swatted my kids on the butt more than a few times, but I've never even come close to slapping one.

But in this case, isn't the slap accusation questionable?

amy31416
06-29-2011, 06:38 PM
Slapping a kid means something is wrong to begin with. I have nothing against corporal punishment, and I've swatted my kids on the butt more than a few times, but I've never even come close to slapping one.

But in this case, isn't the slap accusation questionable?

In this case, yes. And I'm not suggesting that it should be a "guilty until proven innocent" thing--but once it's known, I'd call it unethical to leave children in that situation. And no, I'm certainly not talking about kids getting spanked and having red marks from it or anything like that. Heck, my mom slapped me across the face once, and I totally deserved it--but I was a teenager and she barely even left a mark, just an impression.

dannno
06-29-2011, 06:44 PM
I'd be willing to personally take the kids if the parents were slapping them hard enough to bruise

Would you take 100 kids?

for Christ's sake. Do you have any idea how hard you have to slap someone to leave a bruise? Jesus.

Well to be fair, i said a mark, not a bruise. I think it's possible to get a mark that is more temporary before a bruise (might) come in. And no, I don't really know how hard you have to slap someone on the face to leave a mark or bruise. I do know that kids can get bruises from things other than their parents' hands, and maybe the investigators lure the kid into making an accusation, so I would be pretty hesitant to take a kid over a single incident. If there are witnesses and it is something that is happening on a regular basis then that is different.

You can't leave kids with people who are slapping them so hard that they're bruised. No, the state/gov't isn't a great answer, but god damn, to leave them there, knowing that they're being abused? Hell no. Didn't you read that thread about the woman who killed her child by hitting him so hard that his internal organs ruptured?

Yes, some parents are abusive, and I would be more apt to get the state take them if it is a continual thing. You never know when they might go overboard and do something like rupture organs.

amy31416
06-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Would you take 100 kids?

Well to be fair, i said a mark, not a bruise. I think it's possible to get a mark that is more temporary before a bruise (might) come in. And no, I don't really know how hard you have to slap someone on the face to leave a mark or bruise. I do know that kids can get bruises from things other than their parents' hands, and maybe the investigators lure the kid into making an accusation, so I would be pretty hesitant to take a kid over a single incident. If there are witnesses and it is something that is happening on a regular basis then that is different.

Yes, some parents are abusive, and I would be more apt to get the state take them if it is a continual thing. You never know when they might go overboard and do something like rupture organs.

If the alternative was them being abused, yeah, I'd probably take 100 kids. I'd put 'em to work though!

If parents are slapping hard enough to leave bruising, they're not just punishing, they're abusing. But certainly they deserve the benefit of the doubt first, because I was constantly bruised up as a kid, from my own doing. As I said though, it's only after it's known that they are abusive that it's unethical to leave them with their parents.

tropicangela
06-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Well a lot of people (not so many on this forum) would like to see a heavy-handed CPS to ensure children are protected.. but they don't realize how much the state screws up the children they take in. They would also tend to think, I would imagine, that by barring entry to their home they were trying to hide something. That's really not always the case, some people do believe in protecting their 4th amendment rights on principle. Many well intentioned people don't see it that way.

Of course in this case there is no evidence at all, the police should have never entered their home, or tried to get a warrant.

Slapping a child in my state of FL and leaving a mark (bruise) is legal. Permanent disfigurement or scarring is illegal.

tropicangela
06-30-2011, 12:16 PM
PODCAST of show with Erica and Jeffrey Henderson on Thought Crime Radio: http://www.tranquility.net/~rwinkel/janel/TCR110627.mp3
Voices for the Human Rights of Babies. www.theothersideoftheglass.com

Please sign the petition to Judge Downing to release the children from DFCS custody immediately:
http://www.change.org/petitions/the-henderson-children-belong-at-home

Please join the FB group in support of the Hendersons to find out other ways you can help this family:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_223034354397596&ap=1

tropicangela
07-01-2011, 01:12 PM
IDK if you can see this one. This is on the FB page of the father. I can see it, but you might need certain privileges.

Police busting down the door, view from inside - http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=125471780810997

They said they would not leave and if we did not open the door they would beat it down. After about an hour of talking they broke the door down, without a warrant threw my husband to the floor while several officers kicked in the head and back. This was all in front of my terrified screaming children. They had to take him to the hospital for his injuries and then ticketed him for resisting a police officer. We are currently fighting the case in the supreme court of California.

boobellemichelle 2 months ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4KP0xp7-30&feature=player_embedded

angelatc
07-01-2011, 01:26 PM
It is a terrible precedent, but my (probably wrong) knowledge of the law is that if the police believe that a person is in danger, then they do not need to wait for a warrant to enter. All they need to do is maintain that they had probable cause (the original tip) that the child was in danger, and poof! The homeowners have no rights.

tropicangela
07-01-2011, 01:39 PM
They wanted to come inside and do a welfare check because of an anonymous call (one of my neighbors) they received, stating that my husband was heard slapping my daughter. We let them see the kids at the window and they asked them if they were okay. My kids all said yes. Of course that was not enough for them as their intent was to make an arrest.

boobellemichelle 2 months ago 2

from youtube comments

tropicangela
07-01-2011, 06:01 PM
The privacy settings are said to have been changed. Here is the video of the police battering the door in (different from the youtube video on page 2 of this thread.)

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=125471780810997&comments

Reminded me of WACO.