PDA

View Full Version : Understanding Ron Paul's Position on Terrorism

Chrispy
10-30-2007, 08:24 PM
I think this is something that many people might not full understand. Ron Paul's position on listening to what our enemies are saying. I personally have watched a good number of terrorist and Al-Qaeda propaganda videos. It is very interesting how a Ron Paul foreign policy would negate most of our problems with terrorists. The following is a description of what the "terrorists" believe and why a non-interventionist foreign policy would make us safer.

The real reason that Islamic extremists criticize us is because of our support of what are essentially tyrannical monarchies and dictatorships of Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and Pakistan, in addition to our support for Israel which they believe to be an unjust force occupying their homeland. The neo-cons will try to lead you to believe that they hate our way of life and our freedoms, and advocate "Death to All Americans." The truth is that they oppose our intervention in the Muslim world and even the most extreme terrorists (Bin Laden, Zawahiri) use only the language "We must drive the Americans away from our homeland."

The ultimate goal of terrorists are to install Islamic law in the Muslim countries of the middle east. The only reason they are critical of the United States is because they see us as an obstacle to their ultimate goal. In fact in their own literature and propaganda videos they are more critical of Saudi Arabia, and Egypt, then they are of the United States. We are not the target!

Ron Paul's position then is to install the constitutional position of a non-interventionist foreign policy. If we withdraw our support for Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Pakistan, Egypt, and Israel, the terrorists would no longer have any incentive to attack us. In fact attacking us would work against their ultimate goal because the blow back would be us intervening more in the region. Even if they had attacks already set up, they would call them off, because it would work against their ultimate goal. Which is installing Islamic law in the middle east.

In conclusion, by adopting a non-interventionist foreign policy, essentially would cause the terrorists to end the jihad on the US and shift their efforts to calling jihads on the Muslim countries of the middle east, and Israel. Therefore we have 2 options, protect our oil and strategic interests in the middle east thus entering into a perpetual war on terrorism, or get out suck it up and buy oil from whoever feels like selling it to us without forcing them at gunpoint to do so.

This is my personal (though well informed) views on the nature of this conflict.

Paulestinian
10-30-2007, 09:09 PM
Ding Ding Ding. You've hit the jackpot my friend. Ask the average middle easterner whether they hate the US and the answer you'll get will be something along the lines of "I don't hate the US or the American people but rather their government's foreign policy"

I've lived in the Middle East for a long time and I know that what the people of the region hate even more is their corrupt kings and dictators whose continued presence is courtesy of US foreign policy.

The only reason that you might find some support for terror movements amongst the people of the middle east is because they see the US and the west as the sole reason for the existence of these corrupt regimes. To them, it's more like the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Change the policy and watch the dictators fall in no time and a movement towards better regimes will flourish. The average muslim would not want someone like Bin Laden to rule over them.

K1RBY
10-30-2007, 09:15 PM
IMO a new foreign policy will indeed help...but the fact is, radical islam will find war anywhere it can.

yes, getting the fuck away from those crazy asses will save us alot of money & blood..but dont think for a second that occupation of their land is the only reason they kill..

there are always going to be wars being fought by islamic fundamentalists, most of which have been going for a long time, and most are because, in their eyes, everyone that is anywhere, is on their land.

not to mention fighting amongst themselves & with anyone who thinks differently and that lives within a stones throw of them...hence the long standing islamic wars in AFGHANISTAN - ALGERIA - EYGPT - INDONESIA - INDIA - PAKISTAN - IRAQ - ISREAL - IRAN - KOSOVO - NIGERIA - SUDAN - PHILIPPINES ECT ECT ECT

Nefertiti
10-30-2007, 09:21 PM
Paulestinian is right, and K1RBY is simply spouting nonsense.

Muslims don't want to have to fight one another to establish Islamic law but when you have the US propping up secular dictators that don't allow free elections what do you expect?

Paulestinian
10-30-2007, 09:30 PM
K1RBY, the vast majority of muslims want to lead normal lives and have a family, house and a car in their driveway. All they ask for is that no stray missile from an F-16 come blowing up their families and no dictator's secret police arrest them and throw them in jail for no reason. Unfortunately both of those things are a consequence of a failed US foreign policy (and other colonial nations such as Britain and France before it).

Fixing US foreign policy will drain the swamp of hatred in which fundamentalists fester and feed on. They will have absolutely no support in what they want to do.

Chrispy
10-30-2007, 10:10 PM
IMO a new foreign policy will indeed help...but the fact is, radical islam will find war anywhere it can.

yes, getting the fuck away from those crazy asses will save us alot of money & blood..but dont think for a second that occupation of their land is the only reason they kill..

there are always going to be wars being fought by islamic fundamentalists, most of which have been going for a long time, and most are because, in their eyes, everyone that is anywhere, is on their land.

not to mention fighting amongst themselves & with anyone who thinks differently and that lives within a stones throw of them...hence the long standing islamic wars in AFGHANISTAN - ALGERIA - EYGPT - INDONESIA - INDIA - PAKISTAN - IRAQ - ISREAL - IRAN - KOSOVO - NIGERIA - SUDAN - PHILIPPINES ECT ECT ECT

Without our intervention in the region there is no reason for them to attack us. Muslim extremism was created to combat the dictatorships controlling Muslim countries. They have bigger fish to fry. People often write terrorists off as "crazy" and "fanatical" but the truth is that they are not. They fight for sound principals (how ever contrary they are to our principals) and will shift fire accordingly. Please do not assume they are stupid and detached. The organizations controlling the movement (Al-Qaeda) are lead by intelligent, rational people, and are doing exactly what they need to to get what they want accomplished, and the Bush administration is playing into their plan like a puppet.

Undermining and under-estimating our enemies is not constructive. Understand that our enemies are doing exactly what they need to do to get what they want and we are falling into their trap. By withdrawing militarily and economically from the region we will kill the motivations of the terrorists. We will destroy the biggest recruiting incentive. When we are no longer a threat not only will we no longer be a target, but the terrorists wont even have a tool to get more recruits. The US being in Iraq is feeding terrorism. When we remove ourselves from the region it will severely cripple their man power. This is the only way we can effectively end this war.

work2win
10-30-2007, 10:31 PM
This really sank in after I watched "The Power of Nightmares." There's a reason Bin Laden and crew was in Afghanistan (the back-40 of the Arab world). Their killing of innocents, and attempts at overthrowing governments made them less than popular.