PDA

View Full Version : Fundraising Question-Dining with Dr. Paul

phesoge
06-29-2011, 07:34 AM
A few days back there was a thread being kicked around that discussed the idea of a luncheon with Ron Paul...(see below)
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?300620-Fundraising-Idea-Lunch-with-Ron-or-Rand-Paul

I liked the ideas discussed in the thread, but the 2500-dollar requirement makes it inaccessible to many people.

So, what if we have a luncheon money bomb or something that that extent. We pick a day and anyone who donates that day would have a chance at having Lunch with the good Doctor. We could even set a minimum of like 25 dollars or whatever.

Personally, I think 2500 dollars is well worth the price of eating lunch with Dr. Paul, but it is not feasible for everyone.

What do you people think? Has this already been tried? I looked through some of the archives and did not see too much on the subject. Thoughts......

RonPaul101.com
06-29-2011, 08:32 AM
I like the lottery chance within a moneybomb concept.

Also, what about a large luncheon in a hall or such for about $200 a head? Sell a 1,000 tickets or so and raise $200,000 for the campaign for just lunch and maybe a 20 minute speach. Other candidates throughout history have done this with much success. Perhaps consider setting up 4 of these events, 1 Iowa, 1 NH, 1 SC, and 1 NV...? Rasing $800,000 for four lunches, say two locations each of two weeks is a nice financial bump.

I'd buy a ticket for a $200 lunch. But $2500 makes it impossible for me to attend.

kazmlsj
06-29-2011, 08:41 AM
Read this article - I think this has ethical issues for a sitting president - but the opposition is appealing to people who can pay only $5.

Recent e-mail appeals, for instance, offered $5 givers the chance through a raffle to have dinner with Obama. On Monday, the campaign added Vice President Biden to the mix, distributing a video in which the president describes the affair as “dinner with Barack and Joe.”

And I think this is down-right illegal:

...Obama and his aides are leveraging every asset available to a sitting president — from access to top West Wing officials to a possible food tasting with the White House chef.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/obama-pushing-behind-scenes-to-win-over-big-dollar-donors/2011/06/24/AGO5NGoH_print.html

Rocket80
06-29-2011, 09:10 AM
Last campaign I paid $500 for a breakfast with him in Los Angeles, it was awesome got him to sign something and got a picture, still have it framed on my wall. There was a dinner too that was $1000 but that was too much for me at the time.

I'm sure eventually they will schedule fund raising events nationally. I'm hoping he comes back to LA.

RonPaul101.com
06-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Last campaign I paid $500 for a breakfast with him in Los Angeles, it was awesome got him to sign something and got a picture, still have it framed on my wall. There was a dinner too that was $1000 but that was too much for me at the time.

I'm sure eventually they will schedule fund raising events nationally. I'm hoping he comes back to LA.

I would definitely do that, even if I had to fly in for the event. I haven't met Ron Paul yet.

fatjohn
06-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Obama did it already, raised 20 million in 2 hours. 38000 for one dinner.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?299550-Obama-is-going-to-have-a-dinner-with-supporters-that-donated-today.-Let-s-steal-the-idea.

And here (not really threads that took off but I guess I's just saying: Obama did it.)

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?300564-Obama-quot-the-people-s-candidate-quot-raises-20-million-in-2-hours-from-the-wealthy.

RonPaul101.com
06-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Obama did it already, raised 20 million in 2 hours. 38000 for one dinner.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?299550-Obama-is-going-to-have-a-dinner-with-supporters-that-donated-today.-Let-s-steal-the-idea.

And here (not really threads that took off but I guess I's just saying: Obama did it.)

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?300564-Obama-quot-the-people-s-candidate-quot-raises-20-million-in-2-hours-from-the-wealthy.

Isn't that illegal by FEC rules on donation limits for individuals?

"...Thursday's gala at a Manhattan Sheraton, where as many as 600 guests were paying up to $35,800 each to attend Obama's first fundraiser..."

Either way, we need to win the GOP nomination. The economy will serve as one big, continuous negative ad against Obama; one that I believe he won't be able to overcome. Much like 2008 was a vote against Bush and GOP insiders (the real race was Clinton vs. Obama by far), well 2012 will be a GOP race to see who will take over for Obama.

phesoge
06-29-2011, 03:44 PM
I think the idea could take off. Obviously alot of details would have to be worked out, but if its illegal then all bets are off with it. I was trying to find some legal references to the matter, but have not been successful. It seems Obama is doing something similar with the "Dinner with Barack and Joe" event. There is skepticism on behalf of some people other on wether or not this event is legal.

svobody
06-29-2011, 04:00 PM
I would drive up to Iowa for something like this. I could probably swing $500-1k, which would be on top of the money I will already be donating to the campaign.

phesoge
06-29-2011, 07:09 PM
Well first we would have to find out if the idea is legal, and then someone here with a campaign contact would have to see if it is possible.

lx43
06-29-2011, 07:20 PM
I've already contacted Steve (can't think of his last name) with the RP campaign about this idea. I would definately donate the $2,500.00 to do it.

phesoge
06-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Awesome. What about the idea of a one day money bomb and x amount of random contributors are invited to a luncheon with the good doctor. It makes it more accessible to people. I would htink a ton of people would donate if a money bomb was organized and people were randomly chosen to dine with Dr. Paul. Hell, up the ante and have Rand join in. :)

AJ187
06-29-2011, 07:49 PM
I don't know what I would do if I got to eat at a table with Dr. Paul. I probably would not be able to eat, let alone keep my cool.