PDA

View Full Version : Fla Condo Ass'n to test Dog Poop for DNA to Find & Fine Owner

bobbyw24
06-29-2011, 06:58 AM
JUPITER — If your pooch poops, you pay.

Plagued with pets that do business in all the wrong places, dog owners in the Village of Abacoa, a condominium association of 458 units, must pay a $200 fee starting Aug. 1. The money will pay DNA Pet World Registry to take the dog's genetic fingerprint and keep the information on file.

Doggie droppings found in condo common areas will be collected and mailed in a plastic tube to the Knoxville, Tenn.-based company. If the poop matches the pooch, the owners can be fined up to $1,000. If they don't pay, a lien can be placed on their home, said Susan Nellen, property manager for Versa Property Management, which manages the condo near Roger Dean Stadium.

Not everyone supports the policy.

"This is nuts. They will be testing all kinds of poop. Is this America?" said Troy Holloway, who owns one of the condos.

http://www.unitedpassports.com/images/welcomeToFlorida.jpg

But managers say they have no choice. Dogs are defecating and urinating in elevators, in stairwells, on carpets and in the lobby, as well as common areas outside. The condo association is spending $10,000 to $12,000 a year replacing and cleaning, said Matthew Brickman

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/dna-samples-will-determine-if-jupiter-residents-arent-1568967.html

aGameOfThrones
06-29-2011, 08:41 AM
That was quick.

Reference(foreign country): DNA database will be used to catch out owners who refuse to clean up their dog poop (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?287468-DNA-database-will-be-used-to-catch-out-owners-who-refuse-to-clean-up-their-dog-poop&highlight=Dog+poop)

Napoleon's Shadow
06-29-2011, 10:43 AM
I wonder who gets that job.

But regardless, if you don't want to live in a neighborhood that operates like that, then don't. HOAs are much better than government, because you can move out of your HOA, but often times can't move out of your government.

Trigonx
06-29-2011, 12:37 PM
Why don't they just use the $200 fee they are gonna collect from the Condo Owners who own dogs and use that towards the $10,000 to $12,000 cost to replacing and cleaning. With the replacing and cleaning costs covered you don't need to waste money on the company in Tennessee to test the dog poop. Guess that would make too much sense

pcosmar
06-29-2011, 12:53 PM
I wonder who gets that job.

But regardless, if you don't want to live in a neighborhood that operates like that, then don't. HOAs are much better than government, because you can move out of your HOA, but often times can't move out of your government.

Yup it only costs you about a half million dollars.

What a shitty story.

youngbuck
06-29-2011, 02:30 PM
You could bankrupt/stifle their efforts by importing dog poop from elsewhere. A pissed off resident who gets nailed with a $1000 fine may very well do that.

MelissaWV
06-29-2011, 04:16 PM
Why don't they just use the $200 fee they are gonna collect from the Condo Owners who own dogs and use that towards the $10,000 to $12,000 cost to replacing and cleaning. With the replacing and cleaning costs covered you don't need to waste money on the company in Tennessee to test the dog poop. Guess that would make too much sense

The person pays the $200 fee just once per a certain period of time. Given how I've seen some dog owners take their precious pooches for walks all over everyone's property every day, I would say that amount of money towards cleanup would be exhausted in no time. I think it's a bit much to go around collecting it for DNA testing (and that implies your dog is "registered" with their DNA on file), but as The-Artist-Formerly-Known-As-Collins points out, you can move out of that HOA zone.

I wouldn't move there because, despite my dislike for dog owners who don't take care of their pet's leavings, this HOA sounds like it's on a real slippery slope. I would be more likely to move to an HOA area that just doesn't allow outdoor pets :p or, best of all, a house way out in the middle of nowhere, where you could have a goat if you wanted, and it could poop where it darn well pleased.

muzzled dogg
06-29-2011, 04:18 PM
is that even possible?

evilfunnystuff
06-29-2011, 04:22 PM
They need to hook up with that japanese scientist that makes the poop burgers

muzzled dogg
06-29-2011, 04:23 PM
the who who that makes the what what?

evilfunnystuff
06-29-2011, 08:01 PM
the who who that makes the what what?

Danke started a thread about it.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/international/japanese-scientists-creates-meat-out-of-feces/

devil21
06-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Underground black market in dog ownership will pop up after this. At least you can move out but I hate rules like this that take effect AFTER you've already bought a condo.

angelatc
06-29-2011, 08:20 PM
is that even possible?

I wondered that too. Looks like its not such a stretch though: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12353586 - talks about human DNA from feces, but I imagine there's a lot of similarity between the processes.

qh4dotcom
06-29-2011, 08:40 PM
What if a resident changes dogs? Does pet-sitting for someone else's dog?

KCIndy
06-29-2011, 08:41 PM
The condo association is spending $10,000 to $12,000 a year replacing and cleaning, said Matthew Brickman

And will now be spending $100,000 to $120,000 a year for very expensive DNA testing...

I also wonder how much of this DNA testing will be performed at laboratories already backlogged with DNA testing requests from rape and murder cases?

KCIndy
06-29-2011, 08:42 PM

Heh heh heh.... what if someone goes to the local public park and picks up a (pardon the pun) sh*tload of dog droppings then tosses 'em into the common area when no one's looking?? :D

Rothbardian Girl
06-30-2011, 08:46 AM

I was wondering this, too. How do they assign responsibility for picking up the poop when there's no way to tell who was actually walking the dog? I suppose they'd need security cameras to literally scope out every nook and cranny, but that would probably be expensive and wouldn't sit well with some of the residents. (At least, I HOPE it wouldn't sit well with some of the residents.)

VBRonPaulFan
06-30-2011, 09:25 AM
Heh heh heh.... what if someone goes to the local public park and picks up a (pardon the pun) sh*tload of dog droppings then tosses 'em into the common area when no one's looking?? :D

ron paul poopbomb for freedom! every one get your dogs and fill up plastic bags of doggy goodness, ROAD TRIP! lets see if we can raise 5 tons for deposit to this fine condo association!

pcosmar
06-30-2011, 09:39 AM
ron paul poopbomb for freedom! every one get your dogs and fill up plastic bags of doggy goodness, ROAD TRIP! lets see if we can raise 5 tons for deposit to this fine condo association!
Naw,,
They are shitting on themselves.
It is a good object lesson in petty individuals in positions of power though.
And also a good consideration before investing your "hard earned" in a place like this.