PDA

View Full Version : Michele Bachmann Bachmann's gov't handouts much bigger than previously stated...

hillertexas
06-28-2011, 06:26 PM
Bachmann's husband got $137,000 in Medicaid funds for a "Christian Mental Health Counseling Center"
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43570552/ns/politics-decision_2012/

While Rep. Michelle Bachmann, R-Minn., has forcefully denounced the Medicaid program for swelling the "welfare rolls," the mental health clinic run by her husband has been collecting annual Medicaid payments totaling over $137,000 for the treatment of patients since 2005, according to new figures obtained by NBC News.

The previously unreported payments are on top of the $24,000 in federal and state funds that Bachmann & Associates, the clinic founded by Marcus Bachmann, a clinical therapist, received in recent years

http://minnesotaindependent.com/59781/bachmanns-christian-counseling-clinic-receives-state-funds

swissaustrian
06-28-2011, 06:37 PM
Compare this to Ronīs principled position on congresses pension plan!

evilfunnystuff
06-28-2011, 08:45 PM

...and refusing federal dollars as a practitioner, opting to allow a payment plan, discount, or giving free care.

Hotchney
06-28-2011, 08:47 PM

Yeah, but Rand's clinic took medicaid money... I don't think its as easy today to run a profitable practice without taking these customers. I don't hold this against Bachmann. There are much bigger issues.

sailingaway
06-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Yeah, but Rand's clinic took medicaid money... I don't think its as easy today to run a profitable practice without taking these customers. I don't hold this against Bachmann. There are much bigger issues.

Yeah. The alternative is turning away patients, if it is a big part of your practice.

Ron managed, but he is really extraordinary, and possibly medical practices weren't so far gone.

johndeal
06-29-2011, 10:23 AM
My Medicare and Medicaid receipts exactly mirror my federal and state taxes. She could use it to go after taxation itself. She won't but if she did I'd enjoy the show. I wonder what Ron Paul would say if she said she and her family were just trying to take back what the government was stealing from her.

newyearsrevolution08
06-29-2011, 10:30 AM
I think this is a touchy subject. As a doctor what would you do, accept government "pay" in a way or turn them away. Also can you even legally refuse service based off of payment type?

I don't see docs turning anyone away who is in need but seriously, great point to debate and talk about

specsaregood
06-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Yeah. The alternative is turning away patients, if it is a big part of your practice.

Ron managed, but he is really extraordinary, and possibly medical practices weren't so far gone.

And it was a different time and place back when he was practicing, I doubt malpractice was as much of a cost overhead.

Personally, I like Rand's campaign suggestion which would be to let doctors deduct all pro-bono work performed. He hasn't followed up on that has he?

hillertexas
06-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Two things:
1. The Bachmann Clinic is strictly for counseling purposes, not medical procedures
2. “We are distinctly a Christian counseling agency here in the Twin Cities,” he told KKMS radio in 2008. “We have 27 Christian counselors, Christ-centered, very strong in our understanding of who the Almighty Counselor is, and as we rely on God’s word and the Almighty Counselor, we have the opportunity to change people’s lives.”

“Unless they are receiving money purely through vouchers, this is clearly unconstitutional,” said Alex Luchenitser, staff attorney for Americans United for Separation of Church and State. Vouchers are used in some states to allow those on public assistance to purchase services, but Minnesota has no such system in place. “It’s wrong for the government to buy clinical services that include submission to God or proselytization,” said Luchenitser. “This appears to be a textbook case of taxpayers funds for religious purposes.”