PDA

View Full Version : Could a Progressive Tax System make the Rich/Wealthy Business Owners who own and run the m

aid632007
06-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Could a Progressive Tax System make the Rich/Wealthy Business Owners who own and run the means of production could higher taxes on them make the Rich Business Owners Poor or cause them to run out of money why or why not ? The reason Im asking this question is because during World War Two and after the War the Tax Rate on the Rich/Wealthy was over 90% than it became 70% ? What Im really trying to ask is could a Progressive Income Tax make all Incomes equal ?

Karl Marx and Frederick Engels
Manifesto
of the Communist Party

II -- PROLETARIANS AND COMMUNISTS

2. A heavy progressive or graduated income tax.

http://www.anu.edu.au/polsci/marx/cl...manifesto.html

aid632007
06-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Can anyone explain thank you ?

silverhandorder
06-28-2011, 06:50 PM
Income can never be equal it represents a person's productivity. Progressive taxes are means of redistributing resources away from people who produce to people who consume government services. As far as making rich poor probably not. Income is hard to account for and the rich are always at the front of any legislation that targets them. The impressionable young communists do not bother to make sure that the money being confiscated is actually being confiscated or that it is going to them.

madfoot
06-28-2011, 06:59 PM
I dunno, but nobody's going to be able to convince me that a janitor or landscapes should contribute the same portion of his income as a banking CEO has to.

Vessol
06-28-2011, 07:05 PM
I dunno, but nobody's going to be able to convince me that a janitor or landscapes should contribute the same portion of his income as a banking CEO has to.

Why should either have to "contribute" a portion of their income?

You make it sound like there is only two choices in the matter.

Teaser Rate
06-28-2011, 07:15 PM

While I agree with you in practice, if we think about it abstractly, why should anyone have to pay higher taxes just because they can? Does a rich man have to pay more when buying anything else in the market?

The only truly fair taxation system in my point of view is one where all able adults are sent an equal bill of their share of the government budget. After all, the janitor gets the same legal and defense protection that the lawyer does. Of course my suggestion would never happen in the real world, but I find it interesting to think about.