PDA

View Full Version : Time Magaizne disagrees with Ron Paul about selling U.S. gold

FreedomProsperityPeace
06-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Ron Paul Reality Check: Should America Sell Fort Knox's Gold?

Time.com – Tue, Jun 28, 2011

Should the U.S. sell off its gold reserves to pay down debt? That's the latest idea being tossed around by gold bug Ron Paul. Not only would selling Old Yeller help the U.S. pay its bills, says libertarian Paul, but it would put more gold in the hands of the American people and pull back the reins on the Federal Reserve, which is printing money like mad and debasing the value of our currency. So insistent is Paul about this strategy that he challenged the government to a gold audit to make sure its stash of bullion at Fort Knox is really all there. (According to the Treasury's inspector general, it is.) So is selling it a good strategy, or is Paul just a crazy kook?

But if, like Paul, you believe paper currency is doomed, then the price of gold is surely still headed up. And in this market, selling off the government's gold wouldn't get you very far. The Treasury's roughly 262 million ounces of bullion is worth about $390 billion. That's only a fraction of our $1.5 trillion deficit and an even smaller slice of our $14 trillion in federal debt. (See 25 people to blame for the financial crisis.)

And there are plenty of other reasons for the U.S. not to sell its gold. As with any investor, a dose of gold in the U.S.'s portfolio serves as a worst-case inflation hedge. Plus, the price of gold is historically very volatile - up 10% one month, down 10% the next - which is why governments don't go buying and selling it off on a whim. If the world's most successful investors think holding onto their gold is a good idea in this economy, the U.S. government should probably do the same.

http://news.yahoo.com/ron-paul-reality-check-america-sell-fort-knoxs-125606961.html

Dang it...I misspelled magazine toady

sailingaway
06-28-2011, 04:48 PM
I never heard Ron say it, and it would have been a big change, and he was likely just trying to draw attention to the gold because he wants to audit it. It died, no one cared, and Time is just trying to turn it into something. They are idiots. Note that it puts them in the position of arguing that due to horrid inflation prospects, we need to keep it..... which is Ron's point....

newyearsrevolution08
06-28-2011, 04:52 PM
got to love media spin attempts

the thing though is IF WE as so called citizens owed the government a ton of money and had hidden assets like gold lying around I DOUBT anyone would be telling us (from the media) to KEEP IT because it would be stupid to get rid of something worth so much more EVEN IF you are in over your neck in debt.

sound advice lol

kah13176
06-28-2011, 05:11 PM
It was stolen from us in '33 anyways. It's ours.

Maximus
06-28-2011, 05:15 PM
I find it humorous that Paul is considered a crank for advocating a gold standard. Yet when it comes to selling gold the MSM flips out and says, "Oh no we have to have gold."

Well why? It's just sitting there. It isn't doing anything. Why do we need gold in Ft. Knox if it doesn't even back our money?

Pro-Life Libertarian
06-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Boycott TIME
http://www.thenewamerican.com/images/stories2011/07aJune/time-magazine.001.jpg

Vessol
06-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Boycott TIME

Been boycotting them my whole life. Never read or bought a single Time magazine.

newyearsrevolution08
06-28-2011, 05:22 PM
Boycott TIME

are you kidding me?

that is the fucking cover?

Pro-Life Libertarian
06-28-2011, 05:32 PM
Been boycotting them my whole life. Never read or bought a single Time magazine.

Neither have I

georgiaboy
06-28-2011, 05:42 PM
I find it humorous that Paul is considered a crank for advocating a gold standard. Yet when it comes to selling gold the MSM flips out and says, "Oh no we have to have gold."

Well why? It's just sitting there. It isn't doing anything. Why do we need gold in Ft. Knox if it doesn't even back our money?

Yep, a great question to the writer is, "so why do we have to have this gold? It's not like the crown jewels, where people can even visit or see it as museum pieces. What's that tiny sensation you have deep in your gut that makes you want to hold onto this yellow metal?"