PDA

View Full Version : TSA lies about the true extent of radiation risk with the airport body scanners?

Delegate2
06-28-2011, 11:39 AM
WASHINGTON, DC (WUSA) --- After wading through documents he secured with a Freedom Of Information Act filing, the Executive Director of the Electronic Privacy Information Center, Marc Rotenberg told 9NEWS NOW, "We think that the Department of Homeland Security has not been forthcoming with the public about the true extent of radiation risk with the airport body scanners."

The release of new documents follows concerns of TSA workers that they are being exposed to dangerous levels of radiation as they conduct the screenings. Union representatives in Boston cite an increase in cancer cases among the TSA workforce there and have asked the agency to allow its members to wear radiation monitoring devices.

"The Department, rather than acting on it, or explaining its position seems to have just dismissed. I don't think that's the way most other agencies would have acted in a similar situation if they were confronted with that question," Rotenberg said.

Asked to respond to the safety concerns, TSA issued the following statement:

"TSA has implemented stringent safety protocols to ensure that technology used at airports to screen people and property is safe for all passengers, as well as the TSA workforce. In addition to regular maintenance, each individual machine that uses X-ray technology is regularly tested to ensure the radiation emitted falls within the national safety standards."

More : http://www.hermancainforums.com/index.php?topic=182.0

AFPVet
06-28-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm actually less concerned about the radiation—and more concerned about the Terahertz (THz) frequency they use in the scanners....

Delegate2
06-28-2011, 01:52 PM
I'm actually less concerned about the radiation—and more concerned about the Terahertz (THz) frequency they use in the scanners....

Can you elaborate on this subject? What are the possible dangers?

AFPVet
06-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Can you elaborate on this subject? What are the possible dangers?

I just did a quick academic search and found this abstract: http://www.rrjournal.org/doi/abs/10.1667/RR0944.1?journalCode=rare

Korenstein-Ilan, A., Barbul, A., Hasin, P., Eliran, A., Gover, A. and Korenstein, R. Terahertz Radiation Increases Genomic Instability in Human Lymphocytes. Radiat. Res. 170, 224–234 (2008).

Terahertz radiation is increasingly being applied in new and evolving technologies applied in areas such as homeland security and medical imaging. Thus a timely assessment of the potential hazards and health effects of occupational and general population exposure to THz radiation is required. We applied continuous-wave (CW) 0.1 THz radiation (0.031 mW/ cm2) to dividing lymphocytes for 1, 2 and 24 h and examined the changes in chromosome number of chromosomes 1, 10, 11 and 17 and changes in the replication timing of their centromeres using interphase fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH). Chromosomes 11 and 17 were most vulnerable (about 30% increase in aneuploidy after 2 and 24 h of exposure), while chromosomes 1 and 10 were not affected. We observed changes in the asynchronous mode of replication of centromeres 11, 17 and 1 (by 40%) after 2 h of exposure and of all four centromeres after 24 h of exposure (by 50%). It is speculated that these effects are caused by radiation-induced low-frequency collective vibrational modes of proteins and DNA. Our results demonstrate that exposure of lymphocytes in vitro to a low power density of 0.1 THz radiation induces genomic instability. These findings, if verified, may suggest that such exposure may result in an increased risk of cancer.

Delegate2
06-29-2011, 07:48 AM
Ok got ya, that is exactly what the other stroy is about, cancer clusters in TSA agents, I think they want a complete study and not one done by the maker of the body scanners, thanks for the info.

AFPVet
06-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Ok got ya, that is exactly what the other story is about, cancer clusters in TSA agents, I think they want a complete study and not one done by the maker of the body scanners, thanks for the info.

You're welcome! Yes... this research opens to door to further investigation into the scanners and their potential effects. Unfortunately, large businesses, contractors, drug manufacturers and unions all have the ears of those in power. Both the government and the corporations get what they want... it's a mutual benefit. Likewise, the makers of these scanners (just like the traffic light post awhile back) have a close relationship with the government.