PDA

View Full Version : Best choice to replace Kay Bailey Hutchison?

realtonygoodwin
06-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Ted Cruz? (endorsed by Mike Lee and the Club for Growth)
Elizabeth Ames Jones?
Tom Leppert?
Roger Williams?

Delegate2
06-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Peter Schiff.

muzzled dogg
06-27-2011, 07:52 PM
medina

Theocrat
06-27-2011, 07:55 PM
http://www.rocketnews.com/wp-content/plugins/RSSPoster_PRO/cache/2a057_robert-paul.jpg

trey4sports
06-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Robert has said hes not running, otherwise he would be my first pick. Second pick is Debra medina.

payme_rick
06-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Medina... it she wants to go, I'm all in...

Slutter McGee
06-27-2011, 08:02 PM
I will probably vote for Cruz out of the current candidates. He has a good record of actually being conservative. Was endorsed by Mike Lee. I am still waiting to hear where he is at on the Patriot Act and foreign intervention before I decide whether I will actively support him, campaign for him, or donate money.

Slutter McGee

BuddyRey
06-27-2011, 08:07 PM
Debra Medina for the win!

RileyE104
06-27-2011, 08:09 PM
If you're looking for the People's candidate, right now (until I hear more about Ted Cruz), it's David Smith. Who?? You can visit his Facebook page and ask him whatever questions you want... http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1686463240

He's running for the Republican nomination.

I'll be voting for him unless someone better jumps into the race..

As far as it being Robert Paul, those calling for him to run are dreaming. He's already declined. Same with Debra Medina because I'm positive she's going to make one more bid for Governor of Texas in 2014.

Teaser Rate
06-27-2011, 08:43 PM
If you're looking for the People's candidate, right now (until I hear more about Ted Cruz), it's David Smith. Who?? You can visit his Facebook page and ask him whatever questions you want... http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1686463240

He's running for the Republican nomination.

I'll be voting for him unless someone better jumps into the race..

As far as it being Robert Paul, those calling for him to run are dreaming. He's already declined. Same with Debra Medina because I'm positive she's going to make one more bid for Governor of Texas in 2014.

For her sake, I hope she's not considering running for public office again. Her political career was over the moment she gave the 9/11 truth answer on Glenn Beck's radio show.

06-27-2011, 09:11 PM
For right now I think the proper choice is Ted Cruz. His foreign policy leaves a lot to be desired. But on basic constitutional and domestic issues, he is more or less in line with a pro-liberty agenda.

I am also interested in Tom Leppert, but I am cautious because of some of the polices he promoted as mayor of Dallas (economic development with tax dollars, which is relatively standard Republican fare, but nonetheless worth taking note of). However, Leppert did put up one hell of a fight against the property tax increase in Dallas, even though he lost the battle.

Roger Williams is good for a laugh, but not a serious candidate. Nobody remembers him and he is far too entrenched with the establishment wing of the RPT.

Ames Jones has a pretty good domestic platform, but is relatively thin on substance. One would have to wonder if she wouldn't be much like a slightly more conservative KBH, or another John Cornyn. Cruz, and Leppert, would both be better than Cornyn by a mile.

I know and love Debra Medina, and I think the guy above is totally wrong saying that "her political career [is] over," but there will definitely need to be a little bit of time there. I remember the call I got from a friend who runs a tea party telling me what she said, to be exact he said "have you heard what Debra said?" And that was a really bad day, because she was on track to get into a runoff with Perry at that point.

Debra, for the record, lives in Wharton County in the 14th district. Even if Ron Paul is redistricted out of Wharton as seems likely, Debra may be in a position to run for another congressional seat in the next several elections, depending on how the district maps turn out for the western edge of the Houston metroplex and if a few of those members whose district she could be brought into decide to retire (some have been there for a while). There is also an outside chance she catches an open district.

I have no reason to think that, given a little bit of time, Debra could not emerge as a serious contender for a congressional opening. The 9/11 thing would come back for replay, but she could brush the issue aside early on. She was smart to issue a plethora of statements after those comments to clarify that she did not buy into the conspiracy theories.

And though it wasn't enough in that race, it would probably be enough to make it a much smaller issue next time around.

Slutter McGee
06-27-2011, 10:03 PM
For right now I think the proper choice is Ted Cruz. His foreign policy leaves a lot to be desired. But on basic constitutional and domestic issues, he is more or less in line with a pro-liberty agenda.

I haven't been able to find much on his foreign policy. can you give me more info?

Thanks,

Slutter McGee

06-27-2011, 10:42 PM
I haven't been able to find much on his foreign policy. can you give me more info?

Thanks,

Slutter McGee

Without looking it up right now, I can tell you that it has been posted on here before (and you could probably find it pretty easily with a Google search), that he has before stated strong support for the Iraq war, among some other things that one could identify as a fairly pro-war stance.

Maybe I can find it in a little while if someone else does not.

Dustancostine
06-27-2011, 11:34 PM
Probably not going to vote for Cruz:

http://old.nationalreview.com/comment/cruz200410080830.asp

After September 11, it became abundantly clear that we are living in a dangerous world, at war with fanatics who would do us great harm. The stakes could not be higher.

Regardless of whether one agrees with each individual choice in the war on terror, President Bush has acted clearly and decisively to protect the nation.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2724697/posts

On foreign policy, President Reagan is his model.

"The person in modern times whose views I think were closest to mine on foreign policy issues was President Reagan," says Cruz. "I think the principal focus of U.S. foreign policy should be protecting U.S. interests, protecting our national security interests, and I think we should be vigorous in doing so. That should be the touchstone. I think we should not be engaged in nation-building.

"Simultaneously, though," says Cruz, "I think we should be unrelenting voices for freedom, and this is where some of the realists I disagree with, because the realists in the 1970s said the Soviet Union was unbeatable: We have to accept their military superiority. We have to accept our second-class position. But President Reagan had the moral clarity to say communism will end up on the dustbin of history because the Soviet Union is a communist nation that is an evil empire.

"We need to remain unapologetic, clarion defenders of liberty," he says.

realtonygoodwin
06-28-2011, 01:39 AM
Thanks!

tpreitzel
06-28-2011, 02:50 AM
medina

If she wants it ... Debra would make a terrific governor as well.

TIMB0B
06-28-2011, 02:59 AM
For her sake, I hope she's not considering running for public office again. Her political career was over the moment she gave the 9/11 truth answer on Glenn Beck's radio show.

What was the answer?

tpreitzel
06-28-2011, 03:06 AM
What was the answer?

Her answer was just fine. Beck's infantile mocking of Debra's remark was the problem, not her answer. Search the forums and you'll likely find her actual remark.