PDA

View Full Version : It Is Time To Get Rid Of Property Taxes

xRedfoxx
06-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Today, I have written about property taxes. In my local area, the government fails to see the harm in raising taxes even further. And for what purpose? To build multi-million dollar schools. On top of their taxation to add light rail, silly studies, purchase abstract art, etc.

Read more here:

http://libertyandhope.blogspot.com/2011/06/its-time-to-get-rid-of-property-taxes.html

ctiger2
06-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Primary residence property taxes should be illegal.

Sola_Fide
06-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Ah....the twin evils of property taxes and state-education.

oyarde
06-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Yes . too oppressive .

osan
06-28-2011, 11:23 AM

All taxes should be illegal.

johnrocks
06-28-2011, 11:24 AM
I detest property taxes so hell yes!

oyarde
06-28-2011, 11:30 AM
I detest property taxes so hell yes!

How much is the percentage in your neck of the woods ?

aGameOfThrones
06-28-2011, 11:37 AM
You hate children!

:rolleyes:

Romulus
06-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Today, I have written about property taxes. In my local area, the government fails to see the harm in raising taxes even further. And for what purpose? To build multi-million dollar schools. On top of their taxation to add light rail, silly studies, purchase abstract art, etc.

Read more here:

http://libertyandhope.blogspot.com/2011/06/its-time-to-get-rid-of-property-taxes.html

you should change that text to black.. its very hard to read.

Also, make the reference that property tax is not tax, but rent to the govt!

furface
06-28-2011, 01:00 PM

I agree with this. Larger pieces of property or property used for commercial purposes are legitimately taxed if you ask me. They benefit from the protection of government, something which they should pay for.

Travlyr
06-28-2011, 03:15 PM
All property taxes should be abolished.

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Property tax, if to exist, should at least be reasonable. The property tax is so high in NJ, when I had a part time job during college to help pay the bills in the house (I already had college paid for), the salary I was making part time was just enough to pay for the taxes on the house. Ridiculous! That's hours and hours of work I put in just for the government. That makes me a slave.

johnrocks
06-28-2011, 03:18 PM
How much is the percentage in your neck of the woods ?

Actually ours is lower than most I've seen since we have a ;I think $75,000 Homestead Exemption. Most won't believe this but my taxes were less than $30 last year on my home, now some rental property is over $1000 but my home was hardly anything thanks to this exemption.

I honestly don't know what the total millage is.

AFPVet
06-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Abolish it. This is theft.

FreedomProsperityPeace
06-28-2011, 03:29 PM
But the kids deserve shiny new iPads to learn on! Don't you want our kids to have the best education they can get?! [/sarcasm]

Zippyjuan
06-28-2011, 03:32 PM
California at least bases their taxes on what was actually paid for the property. They don't raise your taxes if somebody buys the neighbor's house for twice what you paid for yours. Nobody likes taxes but that is very unfair.

Sola_Fide
06-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Property taxes are as morally abhorrent as income taxes.

In both property and income taxes, there is the implication that the government owns your person or property.

There is probably nothing more abhorrent to freedom than for a group of government agents to claim ownership of the earth that God owns (and gives to us as stewards). There is the implication that the government is god, and that it can claim ownership of the earth or the fruits of a person's labor.

Travlyr
06-28-2011, 03:42 PM

In both property and income taxes, there is the implication that the government owns your person or property.

There is probably nothing more abhorrent to freedom than for a group of government agents to claim ownership of the earth that God owns (and gives to us as stewards). There is the implication that the government is god, and that it can claim ownership of the earth or the fruits of a person's labor.

So true, and it does nothing to encourage being secure in our homes. As I get older, I do not want to worry about losing my home to the state because I can no longer compete in the marketplace. All the work I put into my place fixing it up when I was able can be taken away from me for not paying the ransom.

nicoleeann
06-28-2011, 03:44 PM
i think property taxes are similar to being taxed on food. we don't get taxed on food because we all need it to survive. but a home is almost as important. we all need a place to live. of course i don't believe in taxes much at all, but property taxes are some of the worst. i don't believe that we should have to pay for land either. if it's availible we should get to build on it for the most part. just another way of making our lives harder. only the very rich are able to really own a home. that's not the way it should be.

lx43
06-28-2011, 05:23 PM

Amen! It should be abolished completely.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-28-2011, 07:52 PM
I agree with this. Larger pieces of property or property used for commercial purposes are legitimately taxed if you ask me. They benefit from the protection of government, something which they should pay for.

I'd pick someone else for that task if it were up to me.

Pro-Life Libertarian
06-28-2011, 07:55 PM
Yes!

Philhelm
06-28-2011, 08:06 PM

No argument here, but property taxes are far more evil than a sales tax.

Anti Federalist
06-28-2011, 08:16 PM
No argument here, but property taxes are far more evil than a sales tax.

Hah, trouble is, that would never go away either.

NH has no income tax or sales tax.

I was just talking to some of my crew and they pay MORE than I do in property taxes, in states that have both income and sales taxes.

oyarde
06-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Actually ours is lower than most I've seen since we have a ;I think $75,000 Homestead Exemption. Most won't believe this but my taxes were less than $30 last year on my home, now some rental property is over $1000 but my home was hardly anything thanks to this exemption.

I honestly don't know what the total millage is.

Where I am , one percent on home , two percent on rental property and the assesments are usually several K more than you could sell for .

oyarde
06-29-2011, 11:24 AM
I probably paid 2 k on a home last year , about $80 on a pc. of recreational property slightly less than two acres and I do not recall what I paid on farmland , guy across the street from me pd around 10 k on farmland. All to cough up 10k per yr per student in public school . Outrageous . It could be done for less , but you would have to start over ...

oyarde
06-29-2011, 11:28 AM
My barber pays several K a year on a brick building about 130 years old with no central air or heat. I only go there occasionally , I wish he had not even told me what his property tax tab was , ruined my day.

guitarlifter
06-29-2011, 12:40 PM

Thank you for that.

kahless
06-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Even in Communist China people can own property outright without paying property taxes so we are some what more Communist then them in that respect. It is such a joke that people actually believe we live in a free country when we are not allowed to own private property without renting it from government.

osan
06-29-2011, 01:02 PM
Larger pieces of property or property used for commercial purposes are legitimately taxed if you ask me. They benefit from the protection of government, something which they should pay for.

Why one and not the other? Please explain.

Echoes
06-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Everybody's property taxes would go down 70-80% if they got rid of the darn public education mandate. Not that i think a dime should be extorted from anybody--just sayin it would be alot better.

Imaginos
06-29-2011, 01:48 PM
all taxes should be illegal.
qft.

JamesButabi
06-29-2011, 02:25 PM
I think property taxes may be the most hated of any tax amongst the average person I have ever seen.

AFPVet
06-29-2011, 03:09 PM
I think property taxes may be the most hated of any tax amongst the average person I have ever seen.

Other than the income tax.... Both of these taxes are theft.