PDA

View Full Version : National Review Online: Right on Marijuana (Editorial supporting Ron Paul's bill)

sailingaway
06-27-2011, 08:33 AM
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/270520/right-marijuana-editors

MRoCkEd
06-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Makes sense - wasn't Buckley the founder of NR? He strongly opposed the War on Drugs.

sailingaway
06-27-2011, 08:48 AM
I don't understand why people are just saying 'this won't go anywhere'. As I understand it the only structural thing in its way is Lamar Alexander who is from Texas, and who refuses to bring it up, even, in committee. I think Texans who support this bill should demand to know from Lamar Smith why he thinks Texas is incapable of creating its own marijuana policy for its citizens. Why is Lamar Smith so against state's rights?

Those opposing this bill are on the wrong side of history, and just look stupid at this point.

pcosmar
06-27-2011, 08:59 AM
Makes sense - wasn't Buckley the founder of NR? He strongly opposed the War on Drugs.

I ran across one of his quotes in a comment post elsewhere. Yes he was very much an advocate of reform.

Article from a few years ago.
http://old.nationalreview.com/buckley/buckley200406291207.asp

We're not going to find someone running for president who advocates reform of those laws. What is required is a genuine republican groundswell. It is happening, but ever so gradually. Two of every five Americans, according to a 2003 Zogby poll cited by Dr. Nadelmann, believe "the government should treat marijuana more or less the same way it treats alcohol: It should regulate it, control it, tax it, and make it illegal only for children."

Such reforms would hugely increase the use of the drug? Why? It is de facto legal in the Netherlands, and the percentage of users there is the same as here. The Dutch do odd things, but here they teach us a lesson.

newyearsrevolution08
06-27-2011, 10:37 AM
I just think people need to realize that the drug war did NOT work and maybe just maybe OTHER branches of government do not work that well either.