PDA

View Full Version : Need Criticism on Ron Paul Booklet

tonyr1988
10-30-2007, 05:49 PM
First, I should explain who I'm targeting with this booklet:

NOT young people / students. We prefer bulleted lists and YouTube videos, and on-demand (online) content.
People that are already "SuperVoters" and usually / always vote in Republican primaries.
People that may agree with the War in Iraq, but disagree with every other Republican candidates' social stances.
People that want something deeper than 30-second sound bytes.
People that frequently watch the news, but don't know much about Paul.
Basically, the "older, traditional Republican" - gun rights, pro-life, anti-welfare, probably fought in WWII, etc.

A lot of these people have no candidate to currently turn to. My grandma is one of them. Unfortunately, she's for the war, but she despises every other candidate. She votes in every election and almost every primary (I don't think she voted in the 04 primaries), and she frequently donates. She wants to learn more about Paul, and the slim jims just aren't going to cut it.

I just wanted to clarify that early: this is definitely intended for a small group of specific people. That's probably good, because it's pretty long. It's got a collection of Ron Paul speeches and writings (from ronpaullibrary.org) categorized into a few main categories that would probably matter most to these types of people. The largest category is War / Foreign Policy, and I tried to pick articles that best explained non-interventionism and blowback. If nothing else, hopefully they'll see that his stance is logical and reasoned, not political.

I just want some feedback on:

1) The articles I chose,
2) The order that the articles are in (I tried to put the most basic ones first, and build from there), and
3) The overall formatting of the document.

It's not meant to be eye-catching or super-interesting, but informational. I think that Paul's writings are amazing, and think they provide enough interest within themselves - hopefully other people can to.

Sorry about blabbing, here's the pretty-long PDF:

http://www.mediafire.com/?2tnqkeii1zr

Thanks in advance!

Energy
10-30-2007, 07:23 PM
Good job on addressing this target market with traditional approach.

Some thoughts:

* Highlight (bold, underlining) important passages to make skimming easy
* See if you can trim the booklet down more while keeping the main points
* Perhaps a summary of attention-getting points on the front outside cover.. or even just a Ron Paul quote.

tonyr1988
10-30-2007, 07:43 PM
Thanks a lot. I used italicizing, but now that I look, it's really not that attention-getting. Luckily, it will take an entire 5 seconds to do a find/replace to change them to bold. :P

What articles / sections would you recommend cutting to save some space? I agree with you that's it's awfully long, but I wasn't sure which ones were most cuttable.

I agree about the front cover - it's very very very bland. What quote(s) would you recommend?

me3
10-30-2007, 07:47 PM
tony, best of luck with your grandma. Please remind her that you will be paying for this war for the rest of your life, and that is a big reason why we need to end it.

cmc
10-30-2007, 07:51 PM
Play up the Reagan connection.

Paul supported Reagan before it was cool!

tonyr1988
10-30-2007, 08:37 PM
I found some pretty good Paul-Reagan facts, but which articles should I cut? Or is it not too long?