PDA

View Full Version : Des Moines Register with a down to earth discussion of the new Iowa poll

sailingaway
06-26-2011, 08:12 AM
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20110626/OPINION01/106260311/1001

Some key points:

More likely, Pawlenty's problem is that his early and aggressive organization has earned him an extra helping of scrutiny and criticism. Democrats and sympathizers have been trashing his Minnesota budget and tax record for months. His economic plan, which included a highly optimistic 5 percent growth rate, has met with incredulous media reviews.

Bachmann has not faced anything comparable. She has a reputation for gaffes and factual flubs and is light on congressional accomplishments, but she has seen nothing yet in the way of organized attacks on her record. She has not put forth detailed proposals for a Bachmann presidency. That will come, and whether she has lasting star power or just a vapor trail will depend on how well she handles the heat.

Romney's numbers can spin in either direction. That he's only one percentage point ahead of an upstart like Bachmann might suggest he was right to steer clear of Iowa. On the other hand, that he still leads the pack after spending only a single day in Iowa this cycle means he has a very loyal base. It is hard to imagine Romney gaining more support, however, without coming to Iowa to ask for it....

Herman Cain: Third place is an excellent position for Cain, who is still introducing himself to caucusgoers. At 10 percent, he's the only candidate besides Romney and Bachmann in double digits.

Gingrich: Only gay-activist Fred Karger has higher unfavorable ratings among declared GOP candidates. If the former U.S. House speaker was looking to Iowa to resurrect his smoldering campaign, his finish in this poll behind Romney, Bachmann, Cain and "not sure" should be sobering.

Ron Paul: The Texas congressman had nearly 10 percent of the vote on caucus night in 2008, in fifth place. He's tied for fourth with Gingrich in this poll, although his favorability ratings are far more positive. He has a chance to move up.

LibertyEagle
06-26-2011, 08:16 AM
Great find, sailingaway.

Ron Paul: The Texas congressman had nearly 10 percent of the vote on caucus night in 2008, in fifth place. He's tied for fourth with Gingrich in this poll, although his favorability ratings are far more positive. He has a chance to move up.

That sounds pretty dang positive to me. How about you?

It's time to get busy, folks. We have yet to begin to fight!!

Let's help the campaign and fund their Iowa projects. What do you say?!

http://iowaforronpaul.com/projects.php

sarahdeez
06-26-2011, 08:45 AM
Great find, sailingaway.

That sounds pretty dang positive to me. How about you?

It's time to get busy, folks. We have yet to begin to fight!!

Let's help the campaign and fund their Iowa projects. What do you say?!

http://iowaforronpaul.com/projects.php
I think there would be a great deal more response if the campaign sent a regular mail out and an email informing supporters of the Iowa projects fundraiser rather than soliciting to a general fundraiser. Hardly any of his supporters who are not regularly visiting this site know about the specific areas in need in Iowa. I think they would fill it up and thereby add to the overall contributions for the quarter.

First things first, I say, two birds with one stone. They would respond to the different angle of contributing rather than to a general push and/or a moneybomb. They just need to know about it.

sailingaway
06-26-2011, 08:49 AM
I think there would be a great deal more response if the campaign sent a regular mail out and an email informing supporters of the Iowa projects fundraiser rather than soliciting to a general fundraiser. Hardly any of his supporters who are not regularly visiting this site know about the specific areas in need in Iowa. I think they would fill it up and thereby add to the overall contributions for the quarter.

First things first, I say, two birds with one stone. They would respond to the different angle of contributing rather than to a general push and/or a moneybomb. They just need to know about it.

This would also address my issue which is I think people see it, know it is not the campaign web page, and think it is a scam, so donate at the campaign web page or don't get around to it. It would give it legitimacy if he just said 'donate to the campaign, or if you particularly want to help us in our key battle in Iowa, consider these:' and link to it.

S.Shorland
06-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Trump had a great fall because he used the term 'mother.......' in reference to China but I can't see any of the rest saying that.Bachmann might be crazy but she isn't stupid.

hazek
06-26-2011, 09:25 AM
Ron has no chance of moving up if he does't call out all the other smooth-talkers on their past records and unreliability while they incorporate Ron's talking points in to their rhetoric.

AFAIK Rand ran ads attacking opponents. Well Ron needs to incorporate that into his rhetoric and ads.

sailingaway
06-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Cain fell because the substance isn't there. Bachmann will fall if the meme of her being a manipulator and not sincere is true, not as much if it isn't. I do think tea partiers care about that. But RIGHT NOW they are just hoping she is their white knight. Some percentage will definitely find she is not. Such as if they care about the patriot act or realize the only salvation of our economy means getting out of the middle east wars and stop overdoing militarism. She's for all those wars -- just not Libya, in an election year.

One thing I think is absolutely accurate is that her approach to foreign policy will forclose fixing medicare and social security for people here, who have paid in so long they are now dependent on it. She says she is for that, but her policy priorities lead those programs to the cliff where they simply stop working, as happened in the Soviet Union.

Ron would fund them as best possible by cutting hundreds of billions from foreign spending, and let the kids opt out.

Badger Paul
06-26-2011, 10:50 AM
Bachmann's the flavor of the month just as Cain was and when the media starts digging into her background, she'll start to fall as well.

wgadget
06-26-2011, 02:11 PM
Today I heard a talking radiohead say of Bachmann that she has way too much Botox.