PDA

View Full Version : Is government spending killing the economy...or saving it?

VerlieJoy
06-25-2011, 06:17 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/debate-govt-spending-killing-economy-saving-134625609.html

How some people can genuinely believe that we need another round of stimulus is beyond me. I guess some people never learn from mistakes. Throwing money, that doesn't exist, at the problem only makes said problem worse. I'm definitely on the side of Yaron Brook.

Please share your thoughts.

VIDEODROME
06-25-2011, 07:08 PM
It's slowing down the Recession in some areas I think, and yet I think it's also making the Recession bigger and lasting longer.

acptulsa
06-25-2011, 07:27 PM
You don't need my thoughts. This story is as old as the hills.

'The money was all appropriated for the top in the hopes it would trickle down to the needy. Mr. Hoover didn't know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellow's hands.'--Will Rogers

The presumption seems to be that the wealthy will stimulate the economy by spending. But the disparity has already grown so great that the wealthiest already have more than they can spend anyway.

Effect: Zero.

VerlieJoy
06-25-2011, 07:55 PM
I realize it's yesterday's news so to speak, but I've had three people in the last two tell me that they hope to see another stimulous package. I've talked to them until I was blue in the face, yet they seem to be holding there ground on the issue. I don't no how much evidentiary support I'm going to have to have to make them reconsider this.

acptulsa
06-25-2011, 07:58 PM
So, we had unprecedented stimulus, and the economy is still tanked. The rich got it and spent it on nothing but gold, and here we are in the same recession.

Maybe another stock dip will convince them. And I suspect we'll find out soon enough...

jm1776
06-25-2011, 08:00 PM
Politics for $500 please.

What is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

AuH20
06-25-2011, 08:02 PM
I realize it's yesterday's news so to speak, but I've had three people in the last two tell me that they hope to see another stimulous package. I've talked to them until I was blue in the face, yet they seem to be holding there ground on the issue. I don't no how much evidentiary support I'm going to have to have to make them reconsider this.

Ask them where these potential stimulus monies are being extracted from. International credit lines, federal taxes and increasingly larger debt service payments.

acptulsa
06-25-2011, 08:02 PM
Ask them where the stimulus monies are extracted from. International credit lines, federal taxes and increasingly larger debt service payments.

Then ask which of these is actually good for the economy.

Politics for $500 please.

What is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

Extraordinarily profitable for somebody...

VIDEODROME
06-25-2011, 08:18 PM
Ask them where these potential stimulus monies are being extracted from. International credit lines, federal taxes and increasingly larger debt service payments.

It's free Obama Money

acptulsa
06-25-2011, 08:27 PM
It's free Obama Money

They're working out a deal with Parker Bros. to help distribute it in a new limited edition Monopoly(TM) box.

oyarde
06-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Actually , govt spending does much less for the economy than consumer spending . Consumer spends one dollar at local merchant , merchant gets whole dollar . Govt taxes you one dollar , eventually , twenty cents are spent , the other 80 cents are used to fund govt building for the govt worker to work in to redistribute that dollar.

Elwar
06-27-2011, 10:54 AM
It is not the spending part that hurts us, it is the taking.

Brian4Liberty
06-27-2011, 11:02 AM
You don't need my thoughts. This story is as old as the hills.

'The money was all appropriated for the top in the hopes it would trickle down to the needy. Mr. Hoover didn't know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellow's hands.'--Will Rogers

The presumption seems to be that the wealthy will stimulate the economy by spending. But the disparity has already grown so great that the wealthiest already have more than they can spend anyway.

Effect: Zero.

Great quote! That's what I have been advocating to people: we need to cut personal income taxes instead of corporate and capital gains taxes. Let the people at the bottom spend more money, and it will do more for the economy. It is also an incentive for employers. Employers move jobs to States where there is no income tax, like Texas.