PDA

View Full Version : Fair Tax group has less money than in 2007, but plans "huge" grassroots Ames strawpresence

sailingaway
06-24-2011, 06:26 PM
http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/06/fair-tax-has-less-money-2007-plans-huge-grassroots-presence-ames

Fair Tax group has less money than in 2007, but plans "huge" grassroots presence at Ames straw poll

Back in 2007, the large presence of “Fair Tax” supporters at the Ames Straw poll played a big role in Mike Huckabee’s surprisingly strong second place finish, which in turn helped propel him to victory in the actual caucuses months later. This year, the group Fair Tax.org will be working with less money, according to a representative of the group, but still plans to have a “huge presence” at the straw poll by leveraging its network of grassroots supporters.

Last time around, the group bussed in supporters and helped pay for their tickets to the straw poll. They had a big tent and area that featured a “Fairest Wheel," funnel cakes, and even a hot air balloon.

“We don’t have as large an amount of cash to do what we did last time,” Aaron Schutte, grassroots director for FairTax.org, said. “We plan to have a huge presence outside of our tent using our extremely large grassroots organizations.”

Schutte would not discuss the specifics of the group’s plans for Ames, saying, “We want to surprise people at the straw poll,” but he insisted that supporters of the consumption-based tax reform would be “taking out our message in very unique way.”

The group won’t be bussing people in as it did in 2007, but it does expect to help supporters out with the cost of the tickets to the event, and help supporters connect with each other and make transportation arrangements in part through the use of social networking websites. On the day of the event, supporters will be spread out educating people on the candidates who support the support the Fair Tax.

In this cycle, Schutte said the group considers Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn, and former Godfather’s pizza CEO Herman Cain as the strongest backers of the tax reform, with former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson more recently emphasizing the idea. Cain actually spoke at the Fair Tax tent in 2007. The group also considers Rep. Ron Paul, R-Tex., a supporter of the reform, but Schutte said it was not much of a focal point of his campaign.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/06/fair-tax-has-less-money-2007-plans-huge-grassroots-presence-ames-#ixzz1QF7VGuuC

So, they think Bachmann is the strongest backer? So that is where her Ames straw poll strength will come from with coming in 'late'.

gerryb
06-24-2011, 09:06 PM
I'll be calling the Fair Tax organization on Monday to question them on how they do not believe Tax reform is a cornerstone of Ron Paul's campaign

gerryb
06-24-2011, 09:39 PM
If anyone is planning to attend Ames -- should see if FairTax needs volunteers for their booth.

RonPaulFanInGA
06-24-2011, 10:54 PM
I'll be calling the Fair Tax organization on Monday to question them on how they do not believe Tax reform is a cornerstone of Ron Paul's campaign

It's a group that supports the Fair Tax.

Ron Paul does not.

Surprised they're not going all-in for just Herman Cain. He's been on that bandwagon for years.

sailingaway
06-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Ron Paul has said that if they got a vote on the Fair Tax and it absolutely got rid of the income tax he would probably vote for it as better than what we have now, but it is not what he wants (and they are not going to get a vote on it abolishing the income tax. Even Huckabee 'admits' that 'for a while' there would still have to be an income tax, and Ron would see that as a lead in to having both)

wgadget
06-25-2011, 08:30 AM
Ron Paul is not averse to the FairTax as long as it's really fair. I hope Ron Paul guys are hanging around the FairTax booth making this fact known.

steph3n
06-25-2011, 08:38 AM
FairTax is total crap as their proposals stand now, a huge boondoggle of stupidity.

rich34
06-25-2011, 08:51 AM
Darn!! This is not good. Why do I see whoever they latch onto winning the whole thing?? I really hope Ron can maximize his efforts and turnout the vote. I wouldn't care if he's got to bus em in from timbuktu, let the press write whatever they want. We need to win this thing bad!!

sailingaway
06-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Darn!! This is not good. Why do I see whoever they latch onto winning the whole thing?? I really hope Ron can maximize his efforts and turnout the vote. I wouldn't care if he's got to bus em in from timbuktu, let the press write whatever they want. We need to win this thing bad!!

Only Iowans can vote in the straw poll. Not Timbuktuians.....

AdamT
06-25-2011, 09:23 AM
Perhaps make up a really pro anti-Fair Tax flyer that clearly spells out the boondoggle? To hand out at Ames that is, and counter any momentum or candidates that try to ride with that ticket.

From what I understand the FT would be even more tyrannical than the IRS.

sailingaway
06-25-2011, 09:27 AM
Perhaps make up a really pro anti-Fair Tax flyer that clearly spells out the boondoggle? To hand out at Ames that is, and counter any momentum or candidates that try to ride with that ticket.

They have a heavily funded campaign, I'd rather we not take on as just a side issue. They will be spending a ton on just that one thing at the straw poll.

I was actually wondering if grass roots or yal or someone could get a tent (since fairtax does) and show the new 'For Liberty'. I don't know how much it would cost for an air conditioned tent, but if it were clearly not a campaign thing it seems to me it would complement the campaign.

Badger Paul
06-25-2011, 09:36 AM
CFL should have a tent in Ames and YAL too.

AdamT
06-25-2011, 09:37 AM
Does anyone know if YAL and/or CFL is planning a presence there?

robertwerden
06-25-2011, 09:42 AM
To pander is to win. We need as many groups as possible with us and not the other candidates.

Paul Or Nothing II
06-25-2011, 09:58 AM
FairTax is total crap as their proposals stand now, a huge boondoggle of stupidity.

What is their proposal right now? Link?

Ron wants the government to raise revenue through tariffs & excise, etc but I think that's just anti-free market & an inequitable form of taxation as not everyone pays the same tax so I think a single sales tax across the board might be equitable so long as there are no credits or concessions of any kind to anyone so that everyone is paying equitable amount of tax. States could collect taxes & pass on a certain sum to the federal government, based on the number of people each state has or something.

I agree, we could point out the flaws in their current proposal; a lot of people seem to be jumping on their bandwagon without reading the fine-print, we should expose them & undercut the support of some of the establishment candidates in the long-run.

I was actually wondering if grass roots or yal or someone could get a tent (since fairtax does) and show the new 'For Liberty'. I don't know how much it would cost for an air conditioned tent, but if it were clearly not a campaign thing it seems to me it would complement the campaign.

Yeah, that should definitely be done if we can afford it.

specsaregood
06-25-2011, 10:02 AM

Because while tax reform is a cornerstone, the "fair tax" is not. Dr. Paul knows that supporting that would end up in getting snookered into both a nationwide sales/vat tax AND an income tax. It is a trap.

Danke
06-25-2011, 10:21 AM
http://www.losthorizons.com/tax/TaxReform.htm

rich34
06-25-2011, 11:36 AM
Only Iowans can vote in the straw poll. Not Timbuktuians.....

I know that, I was being facetious, smartass..

lx43
06-25-2011, 11:27 PM
Ron Paul has said that if they got a vote on the Fair Tax and it absolutely got rid of the income tax he would probably vote for it as better than what we have now, but it is not what he wants (and they are not going to get a vote on it abolishing the income tax. Even Huckabee 'admits' that 'for a while' there would still have to be an income tax, and Ron would see that as a lead in to having both)

I do not support this fair tax idea at all; politicans will use this as a double cross to have both a federal income tax and national sales tax. The reason I say this is 15 years ago my local govt called for putting in a sales tax to eliminate the property taxes. We are now stuck with both. The only fair tax is no tax at all.