PDA

View Full Version : Texas TSA anti-groping bill well not be voted on

Noob
06-24-2011, 12:40 PM
A bill that would prohibit federal Transportation Security Administration agents from conducting intrusive pat-downs at Texas airports suffered a potentially lethal setback today after House Speaker Joe Straus said that the bill, as written, would not be considered in the House during the final days of the special session.

The San Antonio Republican said the bill appears to be "nothing more than an ill-advised publicity stunt" and suggested that it could make the Texas Legislature a laughingstock if it becomes law.

Rep. David Simpson, R-Longview, the bill's sponsor, defended the bill but acknowledged that leadership opposition in the House makes it "doubtful" that he can win passage of the measure.

Asked about Straus' assertion that the bill is a publicity stunt, Simpson said: "That's not been my purpose all along. My purpose is to stop what I believe is out-of-control federal bureaucracy exercising tyrannies."

The bill would expand the federal definition of "official oppression" to prohibit federal employees from improperly touching a person' s private areas, even through clothing, without probable cause. Violations would constitute a Class A misdemeanor, punishable by up to one year in jail and a maximum $4,000 fine.

Straus said a bipartisan group of senior House members had tried unsuccessfully to work with Simpson to find an acceptable compromise.
"I know he'll be disappointed but the bill, as it's written, is not going to be called up on the floor of the House," Straus told reporters. The bill had been scheduled for consideration on Friday but House members failed to gather a quorum and adjourned within fifteen minutes after being gaveled to order.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/06/24/3177250/tsa-anti-groping-bill-at-peril.html#ixzz1QDiefYkB

madfoot
06-24-2011, 12:43 PM
I guess it's not surprising, this was just a part of Perry's campaign.

Golding
06-24-2011, 12:52 PM
Called it when I heard about the resurgence of the bill. The Texas legislature (along with Rick Perry) already is a laughingstock for crying out "Don't mess with Texas" while backing down from the federal government's threats. Nice of them to talk tough and act like they have sovereignty, but the reality of things is why "I'll believe it when I see it" is a more accurate reaction to these people.

Anti Federalist
06-24-2011, 02:25 PM
All just noise, static and heat.

About what I expected.

Well, I guess it's up to us, 'liberal' northeastern states, to make a move on this, just like we were the first to push back REAL ID. (Which Texas also would not pass, anti REAL ID Act legislation that is.)

Contacting my NH reps now.

Weak, Texas, pretty fucking weak.

MikeStanart
06-24-2011, 02:28 PM
Are you freaking kidding me?

jmdrake
06-24-2011, 02:35 PM
Let's see. This bill passed unanimously the first time, but this time they can't even get a quorum? I smell a rat. Anyway this fight can be won at the municipal level if the states aren't going to weigh in. The TSA law allows airports to opt out from having the TSA altogether.

robert68
06-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Texas is too right wing to ever approve of a bill going against the federal government like this one does.

jmdrake
06-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Texas is too right wing to ever approve of something like this.

There's nothing right wing about letting the federal government have power to sexually assault people.

Chester Copperpot
06-24-2011, 02:49 PM
All just noise, static and heat.

About what I expected.

Well, I guess it's up to us, 'liberal' northeastern states, to make a move on this, just like we were the first to push back REAL ID. (Which Texas also would not pass.)

Contacting my NH reps now.

Weak, Texas, pretty fucking weak.

youre right.. NJ is working on the same bill as Texas.. Looks like we'll have to it..

Everybody should use this to expose Rick Perry for the phony patriot he is...

Dont mess with texas.. fucking anti-littering campaign turned into some phony tough sounding cowboy talk.

Rick Perry is unamerican.

Chester Copperpot
06-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Let's see. This bill passed unanimously the first time, but this time they can't even get a quorum? I smell a rat. Anyway this fight can be won at the municipal level if the states aren't going to weigh in. The TSA law allows airports to opt out from having the TSA altogether.

it is my understanding that, that opt out provision was removed several months ago

robert68
06-24-2011, 02:52 PM
There's nothing right wing about letting the federal government have power to sexually assault people.

To "approve" of the anti-groping bill.

jmdrake
06-24-2011, 02:59 PM
it is my understanding that, that opt out provision was removed several months ago

No. It has not been removed. See: http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/optout/index.shtm Note that the TSA is trying to pull a bait and switch. They're pretending that in order for an airport to opt out it has to go through them. But the law doesn't say that. Rather it says that the airport must provide the same level of security. Since most airports don't have the naked body scanners, the TSA cannot honestly say that an airport must have them in order to comply. Also according to TSA testimony before congress, TSA "officials" are allowed "professional discretion" in order to decide when to do pat downs. So a private company that never did pat downs would be within the TSA standard.

wgadget
06-24-2011, 02:59 PM
I guess Rick Perry got his way after all.

http://www.infowars.com/texas-lawmakers-go-awol-for-vote-on-tsa-groping-bill/

jmdrake
06-24-2011, 03:00 PM
To "approve" of the anti-groping bill.

I guess I'm not following you. This bill passed unanimously the first time. And it has overwhelming support in "right wing" Texas. Meanwhile leftists like Whoopie Goldberg have called those who stand up to the TSA "terrorists".

ConvertedRepublican
06-24-2011, 03:07 PM
I guess I'm not following you. This bill passed unanimously the first time. And it has overwhelming support in "right wing" Texas. Meanwhile leftists like Whoopie Goldberg have called those who stand up to the TSA "terrorists".

Times like these create strange bedfellows. This is not a Rep/Dem, Right/Left issue. Those days are long gone. This is a freedom issue that is uniting Americans who where formally in those 'camps'.
I used to be a proud Republican, now I can barely say it without spitting.

robert68
06-24-2011, 03:08 PM
TSA to Texas: Pass Anti-Groping Bill and We’ll Shut Down Your Flights (http://lonelyconservative.com/2011/05/tsa-to-texas-pass-anti-groping-bill-and-well-shut-down-your-flights/)

The letter from U.S. attorney John Murphy said Texas could not pass a statute that conflicts with federal law. If it had, the TSA would have sought an emergency stay and until that had been granted, would have had to shut down Texas airports as it “could not ensure the safety of passengers and crew.”

“Naturally, Texans didn’t take to well to being threatened in that manner,” said Rep. David Simpson, the author of the bill, in a written statement.

They may not like it, but it worked.

jmdrake
06-24-2011, 03:14 PM
TSA to Texas: Pass Anti-Groping Bill and We’ll Shut Down Your Flights (http://lonelyconservative.com/2011/05/tsa-to-texas-pass-anti-groping-bill-and-well-shut-down-your-flights/)

Yep. And that was the TSA's bluff. If Texas didn't back down and the TSA had followed through with that threat then there would have been an emergency session in congress to de-fund the TSA. Instead the TSA would have backed down just like they backed down during the holiday rush in the face of the "opt out" boycott and they are backing down now from groping kids in the wake of the backlash against the videos showing kids freaking out while being patted down.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?300315-Reteaparty.com-MSNBC-TSA-changing-pat-down-policy-for-children

erowe1
06-24-2011, 03:19 PM
I'll bet Perry was behind the scenes begging them not to consider it while he was publicly calling for it.

jmdrake
06-24-2011, 03:22 PM
I'll bet Perry was behind the scenes begging them not to consider it while he was publicly calling for it.

I wouldn't just bet that. I'd guarantee it. Perry had to be drug to this position kicking and screaming. It was the people of Texas who called for this. It's still sad so many representatives caved in. :(

Anti Federalist
06-24-2011, 03:30 PM

That ^^^

I wouldn't just bet that. I'd guarantee it. Perry had to be drug to this position kicking and screaming. It was the people of Texas who called for this. It's still sad so many representatives caved in. :(

And that ^^^

Perry got one of his lackeys to torpedo this thing so he wouldn't have a mess to deal with when he runs for president.

BamaAla
06-24-2011, 03:31 PM

Yep. This had the potential to embarrass Governor Gardasil when he makes his heroic run for the nomination.

Anti Federalist
06-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Yep. This had the potential to embarrass Governor Gardasil when he makes his heroic run for the nomination.

+rep for Governor Gardasil crack

Anti Federalist
06-24-2011, 03:37 PM

Right Wing Response:

If you have nothing to hide, what are you worried about?

Napoleon's Shadow
06-24-2011, 03:41 PM
Hopefully this guy gets primaried and caused immense (political) pain next election.

Anti Federalist
06-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Hopefully this guy gets primaried and caused immense (political) pain next election.

Pffft...

He'll be safely ensconced in the White House by then.

Napoleon's Shadow
06-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Pffft...

I was referring to the Speaker of the TX House

Pericles
06-24-2011, 03:56 PM

He almost did not get re-elected speaker, this will probably do him in.

jmdrake
06-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Right Wing Response:

If you have nothing to hide, what are you worried about?

I wasn't aware that Whoopie Goldberg was a right winger. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEYhGyLCZko

And sadly I've seen that response from some people here at RPF that I will not name. It's basically a "I trust the government and everything they say about terrorism" response. Some people who are duped like that are left wingers. Some are right wingers. The only way around this is *cough* 9-1-1 truth *cough*.

Chester Copperpot
06-24-2011, 04:09 PM

+infinity

Anti Federalist
06-24-2011, 04:13 PM

My mistake...

Chester Copperpot
06-24-2011, 04:14 PM
Yeah trust the govt my ass... radiation levels in those scanners are 10x the level the govt originally told everybody..

FUCK that.

Anti Federalist
06-24-2011, 04:15 PM
And sadly I've seen that response from some people here at RPF that I will not name. It's basically a "I trust the government and everything they say about terrorism" response. Some people who are duped like that are left wingers. Some are right wingers.

The only way around this is *cough* 9-1-1 truth *cough*.

The Universal Cure, for anybody on the left or right that continues to think government has your best interests at heart.

LibertyEagle
06-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Pffft...

To hell you say, son!!! We're not going to allow that. Are we?

HELL NO!

If this guy gets serious, we will out him for the POSER that he is.

sailingaway
06-24-2011, 05:05 PM
Something tells me he was taking the heat off Perry who never wanted it to go to special session at all, but didn't want to run for president without having let it go to special session.

robert68
06-24-2011, 05:05 PM
And sadly I've seen that response from some people here at RPF that I will not name. It's basically a "I trust the government and everything they say about terrorism" response. Some people who are duped like that are left wingers. Some are right wingers. The only way around this is *cough* 9-1-1 truth *cough*.

If it was my earlier post you had in mind, then you misunderstood what I wrote. I hate the TSA and what it does. I just didn’t expect Texas, when it really mattered, to rebuke the Federal Government on a “war on terror” related issue, it’s not in their nature to do so.

Also, when it comes to civil liberties and support for US wars, Texas has long been right wing; and every US President that’s come from there has waged war on countries abroad and war on civil liberties at home.

LibertyEagle
06-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Also, when it comes to civil liberties and support for US wars, Texas has long been right wing; and every US President that’s come from there has waged war on countries abroad and war on civil liberties at home, when in office.

You have a different definition of right wing than I do. To me, the further "right" you get, the less government you want. The further "left" you go, the more government you want. So, the extreme left side of the spectrum is total government and the extreme right of the spectrum is anarchy (no government).

You, I think, are talking about the neo-conservatives, who are leftists in disguise.

robert68
06-24-2011, 05:50 PM
You have a different definition of right wing than I do. To me, the further "right" you get, the less government you want. The further "left" you go, the more government you want. So, the extreme left side of the spectrum is total government and the extreme right of the spectrum is anarchy (no government).

You, I think, are talking about the neo-conservatives, who are leftists in disguise.

After the “cold war” got under way, right wing policies came to mean a hawkish/interventionist/anti-communist foreign policy, and in the sixties onward, right wing became associated with opposing civil liberties, in order to "fight crime". In the 70’s and 80’s the left used to be more supportive of civil liberties – ex. 1988 Democratic Presidential nominee Michael Dukakis, Jerry Brown, Ralf Nader - but that left lost power. The political records of Senator Barry Goldwater, Ronald Reagan, Senator Jesse Helms, Senator Strom Thurmond, make them right wingers in this regard. Admittedly, many "leftists" today are right wingers by this label.

wgadget
06-24-2011, 06:05 PM

I wonder how he's gonna explain all this when he starts his campaign. It's SO obvious to the average onlooker. And then there's that pesky Bilderberg meeting he'll have to explain away...

And I wonder how many (more) people in Texas can't stand the way he governs. It seems to be a common phenomenon.

Peace&Freedom
06-24-2011, 09:29 PM
I guess you can mess with Texas, after all. This was all pure Perry protection. Perry was never going to sign this bill, as it was too much of a roadblock to the program of his Bilderberg masters. But he needed the thing to go away in order to retain his right cover as a patriot who was crusading against the TSA. Could hurt his conservative con game as a candidate for President, you know. So some more arms got twisted, and he has managed to reverse the entire Texas legislature's all but unanimous support for the bill, and turn it into a killed bill. Will no one stand up to Centralized Big Brother, when push comes to shove?

jmdrake
06-24-2011, 09:56 PM
If it was my earlier post you had in mind, then you misunderstood what I wrote. I hate the TSA and what it does. I just didn’t expect Texas, when it really mattered, to rebuke the Federal Government on a “war on terror” related issue, it’s not in their nature to do so.

Also, when it comes to civil liberties and support for US wars, Texas has long been right wing; and every US President that’s come from there has waged war on countries abroad and war on civil liberties at home.

I wasn't talking about you when I mentioned people at RPF who take the position that "I have nothing to hide so let's all submit to the naked body scanners". Again I won't name who, I've just seen that attitude.

As for "right wingers" being more likely to give up rights to fight terrorism, that's just not true. Left wingers are equal opportunity abusers of civil liberties. I woke up to this in 2004 when John Kerry criticized Bush not for passing the Patriot Act, but for not pushing through the rest of the 9/11 commission recommendations. :eek: Look at all of the democrats who voted for the patriot act the first time and then later for the renewal. Look at Bill Clinton who tried to pass a version of the PA while he was in office.

Further this particular abuse (inappropriate touching of children) is the exact kind of outrage to get a right winger mad. (That TSA goon might be gay). Of course when Bush was in, conservatives turned a blind eye to many of the same abuses. It's that Ronald Reagan "11th commandment" (though shalt not criticize any republican) that's to blame on that.

madfoot
06-25-2011, 05:57 PM

Do you know what right-wing means? I ask because I don't, and I don't think anyone does anymore.

Wolfgang Bohringer
06-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Do you know what right-wing means? I ask because I don't, and I don't think anyone does anymore.

Yes, a "right" winger believes that only Muslims should be sexually assaulted at airports and that the chastity of young white Christian women be protected. A "left" winger believes that we should all be sexually assaulted in an egalitarian manner and good and hard.

madfoot
06-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Yes, a "right" winger believes that only Muslims should be sexually assaulted at airports and that the chastity of young white Christian women be protected. A "left" winger believes that we should all be sexually assaulted in an egalitarian manner and good and hard.

:D well put

Napoleon's Shadow
07-07-2011, 05:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4eTldMDdcA&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG6X-xtVask&feature=player_embedded

Corie Whalen of the Republican Liberty Caucus and Young Americans for Liberty testified in the TX Senate:
(skip ahead to 4:00 in the video below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFHz7Zw2J1Y&feature=youtu.be&t=4m10s&utm_source=Weekly+Resources+Newsletter&utm_campaign=e9b33b47e7-Weekly_Resource_Newsletter_7_4_11_Members&utm_medium=email