PDA

View Full Version : Bad News, My Sister died over the weekend:( Age 32:(

speciallyblend
06-24-2011, 07:27 AM
I am really not sure what i am thinking right now but we will not have answers on how and why she died for 14 weeks or so? She has left behind a 3 and 12 yr old:( She is my half-sister but she was my only sister:(

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping me create some type of education fund for them? That they could use for school at 18??

I am really not sure what i am asking for right now. I am a lil emotional at the moment and i cannot even attend the funeral in VA today:(:( This has got to be a bad day for my dad and their is not much i can do for him or my family right now:(

any suggestions? or ideas? would be appreciated!!

I was thinking some type of fund for 1000 or more? ??not even sure where to start:( all i possibly might have this month is an extra 100! What would be a practical goal?? Would rpf members be interested in helping??

If anyone has some questions? I will try to answer what i can for now but alot of answers will not be known until the autopsy. Then i guess we have to wait 14 weeks for results is what my dad said. :(

sincerely kenny

CaseyJones
06-24-2011, 07:30 AM
my condolences on your loss Kenny :(

Carehn
06-24-2011, 07:32 AM
That sucks man. Sorry.

amy31416
06-24-2011, 07:33 AM
I'm so sorry. My sincere condolences.

A. Havnes
06-24-2011, 07:36 AM
That's absolutely terrible! I'm so sorry for your loss and for the poor kids she left behind.

ItsTime
06-24-2011, 07:36 AM
So sorry for your loss :(. A local bank can help you set up memorial fund accounts where people can make donations.

pcosmar
06-24-2011, 07:40 AM
Very sorry to hear. You have my condolence and my prayers.

belian78
06-24-2011, 07:41 AM
My thoughts and prayers go with you man, I'm so very sorry for your loss. :(

LibertyEagle
06-24-2011, 07:42 AM
My sincerest condolences, Kenny. :(

acptulsa
06-24-2011, 07:44 AM
Oh, Kenny. My heart is with you, man. Hope their dad, or your dad, is ready to step up to the plate with those kids. And I hope everyone else around them lends a hand too. Those kids are going to need all they can get the next few months. That's an overwhelming loss and they'll need overwhelming love and support.

What you're talking about is generally done with some kind of trust fund. There are tax-deferred versions of these, but I have no idea if these are limited to parental contributions, or some other silly thing like that. You know how the gubmint is. Don't rush into this thing, you could cheat them and feed the tax beast if you do. Best to let the dust settle before you do anything irreversible.

Strength and solace to you, man.

Napoleon's Shadow
06-24-2011, 07:47 AM
Sorry to hear that. You should go be with your family as soon as you can.

sailingaway
06-24-2011, 07:49 AM
I am so sorry, Kenny! :(

Bern
06-24-2011, 07:49 AM
:( Condolences man.

Working Poor
06-24-2011, 07:54 AM
Dear Kenny-

I am so sorry for your loss. She was young and it seems so unfair not only to her but, her children as well.

I cannot advise you on how to set up a fund for her children but I would like to say that time spent with them could be just as important for them. Are they staying with their dad?

acptulsa
06-24-2011, 07:55 AM
Dedicated savings plans in the child's name get taxed on any dividend or interest earnings, but at the child's tax rate. Children seldom earn enough to pay much more than FICA (Social Security) tax, so that's not bad. '529' plans are tax deferred (no tax until the money gets spent) and can be tax free. The downside is, they're all state-run. Virginia will set it up and make the investment decisions. Even if you look and find that the Colorado plan is better, you can't set it up in Colorado unless the kids are (or Colorado thinks the kids are) living there.

Hope that gets you off to a start on the project.

Nate-ForLiberty
06-24-2011, 08:02 AM
hang in there Kenny. :(

I'm sure once we figure out the best way to set up a fund for the kiddos RPFs will throw a bunch of money into it.

Sola_Fide
06-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Hang in there buddy.

AdamT
06-24-2011, 08:14 AM
So very sorry to hear.

jmdrake
06-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Kenny, I'm sorry to hear about this. My prayers are with you. As for the education account, we have one for both of our kids. Anybody can donate to it, not just parents. (Plus if there was such a limitation, people could just give to the parents who would turn around and donated it). Any financial planner can help you set one up. The taxes of the interest is deferred, and if the money is ultimately used for education there is no tax on it. Our kids account is doing well despite the fact that we went against our financial advisers initial recommendations for a fund that included companies we believed to be unethical.

I am really not sure what i am thinking right now but we will not have answers on how and why she died for 14 weeks or so? She has left behind a 3 and 12 yr old:( She is my half-sister but she was my only sister:(

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping me create some type of education fund for them? That they could use for school at 18??

I am really not sure what i am asking for right now. I am a lil emotional at the moment and i cannot even attend the funeral in VA today:(:( This has got to be a bad day for my dad and their is not much i can do for him or my family right now:(

any suggestions? or ideas? would be appreciated!!

I was thinking some type of fund for 1000 or more? ??not even sure where to start:( all i possibly might have this month is an extra 100! What would be a practical goal?? Would rpf members be interested in helping??

If anyone has some questions? I will try to answer what i can for now but alot of answers will not be known until the autopsy. Then i guess we have to wait 14 weeks for results is what my dad said. :(

sincerely kenny

Oh, Kenny. My heart is with you, man. Hope their dad, or your dad, is ready to step up to the plate with those kids. And I hope everyone else around them lends a hand too. Those kids are going to need all they can get the next few months. That's an overwhelming loss and they'll need overwhelming love and support.

What you're talking about is generally done with some kind of trust fund. There are tax-deferred versions of these, but I have no idea if these are limited to parental contributions, or some other silly thing like that. You know how the gubmint is. Don't rush into this thing, you could cheat them and feed the tax beast if you do. Best to let the dust settle before you do anything irreversible.

Strength and solace to you, man.

acptulsa
06-24-2011, 08:18 AM
jmdrake, that one is a 529? And your state gives you input into the investments?

newyearsrevolution08
06-24-2011, 08:20 AM
that is some terrible news to say the least. Sorry for your loss and those kids as well. That can't be easy on them in the least. I personally wouldn't focus on the monetary issues facing them when they are 18 however and focus on helping them NOW because growing UP is the hardest part especially without a parent (dad still around though?) so I say focus on them.

I can't even imagine because that is the exact age of my sister right now as well, kind of hits home for me.

very sad stuff man

Chester Copperpot
06-24-2011, 08:22 AM
Sorry for your loss. :(

reduen
06-24-2011, 08:25 AM
Sorry Kenny for your loss...

jmdrake
06-24-2011, 08:29 AM
jmdrake, that one is a 529? And your state gives you input into the investments?

You're asking me about detail? :o ;) Seriously though, I'm pretty sure it is a 529. And we weren't able to actually craft the investments ourselves to get the benefit. But when we told our advisers what we did and didn't want they went back and crafted a plan based on our prerequisite of no companies that we didn't approve of. I guess you could say we had "veto power". I'm not sure about all of the details, but I do know that other people can donate to it. I specifically remember him giving the example of grandparents. But I don't think there was a limitation to just relatives either.

muzzled dogg
06-24-2011, 08:31 AM
Sorry bro

idirtify
06-24-2011, 08:43 AM
sorry for your loss, kenny

SWATH
06-24-2011, 08:45 AM
Sorry for your loss. My condolences.

Deborah K
06-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Very sorry to hear this. May the Lord bring peace and comfort to you and yours during this very trying time.

Meatwasp
06-24-2011, 08:55 AM
I hate to hear about young people dying. Like a flower that lasts for a day. My thoughts and prayers are for you and her children.

acptulsa
06-24-2011, 09:01 AM
Be there for the kids, Kenny, but also be there for your dad. There is now a big hole in the kid's little world, yes. But having one's kid precede one into the Great Beyond is just completely contrary to the grand scheme of things, and it's liable to put your dad in shock sooner or later.

Have faith, brother. It may look overwhelming, but I know you well enough to know you have reserves of strength you don't even know about. Tap 'em, and keep on truckin'.

Cowlesy
06-24-2011, 09:06 AM
So sorry for your loss, Kenny. :(

heavenlyboy34
06-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss, Kenny. :( My condolences.

johnrocks
06-24-2011, 09:13 AM
Sorry to see this, my condolences to you and your family.

klamath
06-24-2011, 09:13 AM
Bad loss Kenny. Life is so darn precious and a young person with a young family, leaving is really hard. The best to you even though I am sure words like this ring hollow with you right now.

FSP-Rebel
06-24-2011, 10:09 AM
It's such a shame when someone dies so young, sorry for your loss.

oyarde
06-24-2011, 10:13 AM
I am very sorry for your loss .

Yieu
06-24-2011, 10:24 AM
My condolences and prayers are with you. I'm sorry you have to go through this. :( Sending you a PM.

flightlesskiwi
06-24-2011, 10:24 AM
i'm sorry to read this. my condolences.:(

Michael Landon
06-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Kenny,

I'm sorry for your loss.

My wife, children and I will keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

- ML

JackieDan
06-24-2011, 11:04 AM
My sincerest condolences to you! :(

speciallyblend
06-24-2011, 08:24 PM
I appreciate everyone's concerns and suggestions. You guys and gals have helped alot and i appreciate your thoughts and prayers!! At work right now so back to work! reading this thread has helped me in ways i cannot explain!

Eagles' Wings
06-24-2011, 08:45 PM
hang in there Kenny. :(

I'm sure once we figure out the best way to set up a fund for the kiddos RPFs will throw a bunch of money into it.

May God bless you and your family, Kenny. Great thought to donate in honor of your sister and her kids.

ClayTrainor
06-24-2011, 08:49 PM
I'm speechless dude, I don't know what to say... Very sorry to hear about this. :(

cindy25
06-24-2011, 08:50 PM
I would suggest 90% silver coins; you can buy as much or as little as you can afford; they won't have any effect on future student aid (you don't want to save only to have govt aid or even scholarships reduced because of having a savings account set up)

profit on silver is de facto tax free

BamaAla
06-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Sorry to hear this buddy. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

RCA
06-24-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss.

trey4sports
06-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Sorry to hear about this Kenny, i wish you the best.

AFPVet
06-24-2011, 09:00 PM
Sorry for your loss :(

TER
06-24-2011, 09:07 PM
O Master, Lord our God, Who in Thy wisdom hast created man, and didst honor him with Thy Divine image, and place in him the spirit of life, and lead him into this world, bestowing on him the hope of resurrection and life everlasting; and after he had violated Thy commandments, Thou O Gracious lover of mankind, didst descend to the earth that Thou mightest renew again the creation of Thy hands. Therefore we pray Thee, O All-Holy Master give rest to the soul of Thy servant in a place of brightness, a place of green pasture, a place of repose, and, in that she has sinned in word, or deed or thought forgive her: For Thou art a good God and lovest mankind and unto Thee do we ascribe Glory, together with Thy Father, Who is from everlasting and Thine All-Holy and good, and life-giving Spirit, now, and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen

My sincere condolences. You and your family are in my meager prayers.

Vessol
06-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Best wishes to you and your family, Kenny. You're an awesome guy and I hope that you and your family make it through this. I'm glad that you're there for her children.

QueenB4Liberty
06-24-2011, 09:15 PM
:( I'm so sorry for your loss. I'll be praying for your family and her poor children especially. How awful. :(

Lord Xar
06-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Geesh man, what else is there to say? It is always painful, with many questions and no answers.
What helped me thru times like these, is to to talk with them(those that passed). Feel that they are near and express yourself. Talk, and say things you always wanted to say.

I feel for her children. Perhaps your love for your sister can be magnified thru them, and for them.

Stay strong.

TER
06-24-2011, 10:48 PM
But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus.

For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words.
- 1 Thess 4:13-18

TER
06-24-2011, 10:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-JDZB-rHFU&feature=related

Rael
06-24-2011, 11:27 PM
Sorry to hear that =(

surf
06-24-2011, 11:29 PM
i was thinking about you the other day when i saw the decrim headline in my local paper :) hang in there and take care of yourself.

Anti Federalist
06-24-2011, 11:31 PM
Wow, what a shame, Kenny my thoughts and prayers are with you brother.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
06-24-2011, 11:38 PM
Kenny, I am so sorry to hear this news. If you ever need to talk please send me a message or give me a call.

BucksforPaul
06-25-2011, 01:23 AM
I am sorry for your loss. May your sister rest in peace and her children find the courage amongst family members.:(

purplechoe
06-25-2011, 03:50 AM
My brother-in-laws mother just passed away today, but at least she wasn't only 32 years old. That's way too young! Hang in there man!!!

raiha
06-25-2011, 04:19 AM
Blessings to you and your family. Be kind and gentle with this process....those little kids will get alot of solace from Uncle Kenny.

Dianne
06-25-2011, 05:06 AM
This is very sad Kenny. You and your family have our deepest sympathy.

pacelli
06-25-2011, 05:37 AM
Sorry to hear the bad news Kenny. My condolences-- you might want to visit a local bank to find out more details about opening an educational trust, but don't let that distract you from being there for your family. They will need you more than any bank does right now.

inibo
06-25-2011, 05:41 AM
I grieve with you. Peace.

Magicman
06-25-2011, 06:32 AM
My condolences to you.

Kylie
06-25-2011, 07:18 AM
My sincere condolences to you and your family in this perilous time, Kenny.

Godspeed to your sister, may she find the clearing at the end of the path that we all will travel one day. May her children grow into loving adults with the help of you and your family.

I wish there were more to say to make you feel better, but all I have are platitudes...so I'll keep them to myself. Just know that we are thinking about you, brother, and our hearts go out to you and yours.