PDA

View Full Version : Rep. Issa introduces bill to ‘Prevent Bailout’ of Postal Service

bobbyw24
06-24-2011, 04:32 AM
Rep. Darrell Issa, chairman of the congressional oversight committee, introduced legislation on Thursday to significantly reform the United States Postal Service in order to prevent the need for a “taxpayer bailout.”

The legislation follows USPS’ announcement on Wednesday that it will no longer pay money into its Federal Employee Retirement System in order to cut costs.

Issa said that such a solution was not acceptable.

“The Postal Service lost $8.5 billion last year,” he said in a statement. “It is going to lose, at least, $8.3 billion this year. And it is projected to lose $8.5 billion the year after that. Congress can’t keep kicking the can down the road on out of control labor costs and excess infrastructure of USPS and needs to implement reforms that aren’t a multi-billion dollar taxpayer funded bailout.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/06/24/issa-introduces-bill-to-prevent-bailout-of-postal-service/#ixzz1QBjnVY2v

Koz
06-24-2011, 05:59 AM
Privatize it, that's the only solution. Well, that and allow all other companies the legal ability to deliver mail. Pretty sure fedex and ups could do it cheaper, faster and not have crap getting lost all the time. Oh, and turn a profit while doing it.

Sola_Fide
06-24-2011, 06:04 AM
Good idea, because you know the bailout is coming.

Krugerrand
06-24-2011, 06:29 AM
Privatize it, that's the only solution. Well, that and allow all other companies the legal ability to deliver mail. Pretty sure fedex and ups could do it cheaper, faster and not have crap getting lost all the time. Oh, and turn a profit while doing it.

I'm all for privatization. Can it be done without a constitutional amendment?

Napoleon's Shadow
06-24-2011, 06:31 AM
The unions and a government granted monopoly caused this.

Napoleon's Shadow
06-24-2011, 06:33 AM
I'm all for privatization. Can it be done without a constitutional amendment?
The USPS monopoly on letters is a Congressional statue I think, not part of the Constitution. The Constitution just says one can exist, not that it must be given exclusivity.

Look up Lysander Spooner and his mail company which competed with the USPS.