PDA

View Full Version : Do these hacker groups want a large govt beauracracy watching over the Internet?

TheBlackPeterSchiff
06-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Seems like everyday some hacker group is hacking some govt agency then bragging about it. Lulz, Anonymous, TeaMp0isoN. Are these guys legit or are they just tools of the govt who want to control the internet? I dont see the point of what they are doing.

kah13176
06-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Seems like everyday some hacker group is hacking some govt agency then bragging about it. Lulz, Anonymous, TeaMp0isoN. Are these guys legit or are they just tools of the govt who want to control the internet? I dont see the point of what they are doing.

Assuming they're legit, it's a form of protest.

What's the point of holding an "End the Fed" protest at the Fed HQ? After all, the Fed is not going to end suddenly because there were protests, so they must be pointless.

Furthermore, it tells the government to "shove off" and sends them the signal that what they're doing makes people angry.

EvilEngineer
06-23-2011, 10:35 PM
Regulations can't control the internet. It is always changing and evolving. There will always be holes and security flaws to exploit and idiots to social engineer.

Peace&Freedom
06-23-2011, 11:03 PM
OF COURSE the racket being made by the Lulz groups 'just happens' to coincide with attempts to pass draconian cybersecurity bill to control the internet, now before Congress. Just as Trump 'just happened' to make all kinds of noises about Obama's eligibility to be President just before Barry released that shaky copy of his (alleged) BC--after which Trump, on cue, went silent. Just as the underwear bomber's stunt 'just happened' to occur as the long scheduled roll out of airport scanners was beginning. Etc, etc.

Problem, reaction, solution.

pcosmar
06-23-2011, 11:10 PM

You have it backwards.
The government is already attacking the internet.
Have been for several years and have been working toward and advocating total control.

This is in response to that. This is resistance.

Do you think the French Resistance was responsible for the Germans occupying Paris?

Tonewah
06-24-2011, 07:58 AM
It even sounds like one of the acronyms government agencies come up with.

I dunno, pcosmar, I'd like to think you're right, but with the kind of random, weird attacks the LULzsec group is making against the kind of businesses our big-brother government wants to take down, I really suspect this group of at least having members who are plants, if not the whole thing. Sure, they took down a couple of government sites for a few minutes, but that's nothing compared to hacking into bitcoin et al. The government sites going down could have easily been to mislead you.

acptulsa
06-24-2011, 08:06 AM
Did they take down a couple of government sites for a few minutes? Given the government is a great black cloak of non-transparent secrecy and has been for some time (can we audit the Fed, do we know the real unemployment numbers, how many years was the official line on the NSA that there was No Such Agency?) I don't know why anyone would just up and believe that any site was taken down for any reason but orders from supervisors.

In any case, we won't get anywhere using this argument in defense of a free 'net, or at least not far. Our best bet, I think, would be a variation of the classic, 'When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.' Simply put, restricting our free speech on the net will do nothing for security whatsoever. A good hacker doesn't care one bit if everything goes through the Federal Censorship Room or there is software in place to keep you from saying @#%$. They'll hack it just the same.

One Last Battle!
06-24-2011, 08:09 AM
They never hacked bitcoin. That would be silly, seeing as how it devalues their own assets.

pcosmar
06-24-2011, 08:15 AM
It even sounds like one of the acronyms government agencies come up with.

I dunno, pcosmar, I'd like to think you're right, but with the kind of random, weird attacks the LULzsec group is making against the kind of businesses our big-brother government wants to take down, I really suspect this group of at least having members who are plants, if not the whole thing. Sure, they took down a couple of government sites for a few minutes, but that's nothing compared to hacking into bitcoin et al. The government sites going down could have easily been to mislead you.

Excuse me?
They exposed the FBI connection to Bot Nets. And a very questionable "security firm".
There is no connection to the Bitcoin attack, Neither from LulzSec or from Anonymous. Though framing them was attempted.
edit to add reference,
http://www.dailytech.com/LulzSec+Downs+CIAs+Public+Site+Appears+to+be+Subje ct+of+Framing+Attempt/article21916.htm

II. Framing Attempt?

LulzSec has been the subject of what appears to be wildly bizarre framing attempt,,,,

Clearly that account appears to be involved with some mass fraud or is a clever social engineering project to offer the appearance of a mass fraud. Either way, the attempt to tie LulzSec to it seems clearly flawed and like a clear framing. No official LulzSec press release has ever carried that number.

It's unclear whether Mr. Barr is merely a uninformed observer, or is more deeply involved with this possible framing attempt. But it's clear that his wild claims appear unfounded.

It's also possible that the postings are some sort of attempt to discredit Bitcoin itself. In recent weeks several news agencies have been spreading posts with dubious claims, attempting to discredit the digital crypto-currency.
Seems to be an attempt by HBGary the discredited Government Hacker.

The Government however has been seizing and shutting down websites. Actively attacking Wikileaks and threatening Assaunge.
Developing and deploying malicious trojans. etc, etc etc.