PDA

View Full Version : Google Suddenly Values Privacy--Its Own

bobbyw24
06-23-2011, 12:25 PM
News today that the FTC is preparing to issue civil subpoenas as part of a broad anti-trust inquiry into Google’s business practices comes on the heels of a similar—and perhaps more in depth– threat from Congress.

In a letter sent to Google on June 10, the Senate Subcommittee on Antitrust, Competition Policy, and Consumer Rights Senators Herb Kohl (D-WI) and Mike Lee (R-UT) requested the company provide one of their top two executives to testify at an oversight hearing exploring Google’s business practices.

http://biggovernment.com/files/2011/06/google_evil-23.jpg

But so far Google has refused and offered to send their legal counsel instead prompting the Senate subcommittee to threaten subpoenas to compel either Larry Page or Eric Schmidt to appear.

It will be interesting to see how Google responds to the FTC subpoenas. But in the case of Congress, Google’s sudden interest in privacy is irony at its best.

http://biggovernment.com/capitolconfidential/2011/06/23/google-suddenly-values-privacy-their-own/

Travlyr
06-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Poetic justice ... ;)

Petar
06-23-2011, 12:33 PM
"Antitrust" is bullshit, and so are attempts to regulate private business on the internet.

Vessol
06-23-2011, 02:57 PM
"Antitrust" is bullshit, and so are attempts to regulate private business on the internet.

This!

I'd like to see what kind of charges are being brought up against Google for "monopolizing" or w/e.

One Last Battle!
06-23-2011, 03:03 PM

True. Still, Google gets blood money and deserves what it gets.

Vessol
06-23-2011, 03:06 PM
True. Still, Google gets blood money and deserves what it gets.

So you support the State cracking down on private companies? This will only set a standard for future actions of the State.

Do I support Google? No.

Do I support the State? No, even more so.

Google isn't pointing a gun at my face demanding 20% of my income directly. The State is.

Romulus
06-23-2011, 03:24 PM
So you support the State cracking down on private companies? This will only set a standard for future actions of the State.

Do I support Google? No.

Google isn't pointing a gun at my face demanding 20% of my income directly. The State is.

I have to agree there, but if Google is in bed with the NSA, that ought to be brought to light.

Travlyr
06-23-2011, 03:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6e7wfDHzew

angelatc
06-23-2011, 03:29 PM

Not entirely, but in this case...yes.

Look at the other side of it. If you want to sell a tiny little auto part to Ford, but a mega-national corporation (Acme) tells Ford that if they buy from you, Acme will no longer sell anything to Ford, you'd be stuck no customers in no time flat.

Napoleon's Shadow
06-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Someone should see how much the Feds gave to Google in the form of grants (NSA/CIA)

One Last Battle!
06-23-2011, 04:29 PM

Do I support Google? No.

I don't support the state. I am just not shedding any tears for Google and its NSA contracts.

EvilEngineer
06-23-2011, 11:05 PM
and suddenly... google no longer works in washington dc. And all hell breaks lose as no one can think of another search engine to use.

hugolp
06-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Gmail has a backdoor so the USA government can spy check any account. This was admitted by Google when the chinese hacked them. I dont know if this leaves in bad place Google, the government or both, but the fact is that Google has been collaborating with the government for a long time.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/01/23/schneier.google.hacking/

EvilEngineer
06-23-2011, 11:31 PM
Not just our government... the google boys were on the invitational list this year for Bildeberg summit.

purplechoe
06-24-2011, 03:18 AM
personally, I try to use google as little as possible....