PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Do you support the Ron Paul/ Frank bill to end federal prohibition of marijuana?

sailingaway
06-23-2011, 09:57 AM
http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/do-you-support-the-legislation-introduced-by-barney-frank-and-ron-paul-to-end-the-federal-ban-on-mar/question-1909973/

pcosmar
06-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Voted,
Will have to look back later at results.
87% yes as of my vote.

Travlyr
06-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Seriously? A couple of congressmen want to legalize hemp in America! Hell yeah. :cool:

88% agree so far in this poll.

Meatwasp
06-23-2011, 10:32 AM
agree too and voted. At first I thought we would lose the neo con votes with Ron going into the drugs. After thinking it over he IS holding to his principle and is right. The States should regulate it. The pot growers in this county don't want it legalized as they would have to pay taxes.

pcosmar
06-23-2011, 10:42 AM
agree too and voted. At first I thought we would lose the neo con votes with Ron going into the drugs. After thinking it over he IS holding to his principle and is right. The States should regulate it. The pot growers in this county don't want it legalized as they would have to pay taxes.

Am also voting for the guy that wants to end taxes.
;)

oyarde
06-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Yes

Meatwasp
06-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Am also voting for the guy that wants to end taxes.
;)
right you are!

Brian4Liberty
06-23-2011, 11:04 AM
http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/do-you-support-the-legislation-introduced-by-barney-frank-and-ron-paul-to-end-the-federal-ban-on-mar/question-1909973/

Probably should break the link, cut and paste into a new window:

hXXp://www.sodahead.com/united-states/do-you-support-the-legislation-introduced-by-barney-frank-and-ron-paul-to-end-the-federal-ban-on-mar/question-1909973/

pcosmar
06-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Probably should break the link, cut and paste into a new window:

hXXp://www.sodahead.com/united-states/do-you-support-the-legislation-introduced-by-barney-frank-and-ron-paul-to-end-the-federal-ban-on-mar/question-1909973/

Why do you think the link should be broken?
At 90% YES so far.

reduen
06-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Yes, I support this bill but think that it is bad timing for Dr. Paul politically speaking. Don't jump all over me for this, I know that he is a man of principles and that is why he does not care about the timing. I just hope it does not hurt him in the primaries. Thats all....

pcosmar
06-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Yes, I support this bill but think that it is bad timing for Dr. Paul politically speaking. Don't jump all over me for this, I know that he is a man of principles and that is why he does not care about the timing. I just hope it does not hurt him in the primaries. Thats all....

It won't hurt him at all in Michigan. (an important state to my understanding).
It will likely be a boost here.

Brian4Liberty
06-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Why do you think the link should be broken?
At 90% YES so far.

If you click directly on a link, they know where you just came from. Some people who take polls discount votes that come from certain places...

pcosmar
06-23-2011, 11:46 AM
If you click directly on a link, they know where you just came from. Some people who take polls discount votes that come from certain places...

Sodahead is pretty widely read and linked.

cjm
06-23-2011, 11:53 AM

I think the timing is ok. It's better to have an actual bill to be debated several months before the primaries than deal with hypothetical or philosophical questions that seem to never go away. It takes time to accept new ideas and some folks will need all of these months to digest and understand that the motivation here is self-rule and not quixotic fringe craziness. Also, the demagogues can be marginalized somewhat when discussing an actual bill ("this bill isn't about heroin"). That's my view anyway.

pcosmar
06-23-2011, 11:59 AM
http://journalrecord.com/2011/06/21/periscope-yes-we-are-losing-the-war-opinion/

Forty years ago, then-President Richard Nixon declared a war on drugs. Last week, the Global Commission on Drug Policy called that war an abject failure.

The drug policy commission included some well-known people. Former President César Gaviria of Colombia, former President Ernesto Zedillo of Mexico and former President Fernando Henrique Cardoso of Brazil were all members, as was Ronald Reagan’s secretary of state, George Schultz, and former Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker.

It would be hard to characterize that group of 19 as a liberal-leaning think tank. Yet the recommendation the commission offered was to discontinue the intensely focused drug war and simply decriminalize drug use by those who do no harm to others. The report said: “The global war on drugs has failed, with devastating consequences for individuals and societies around the world.”

There are several articles to chose from. And this is a recent report. The timing is good.
http://www.drugpolicy.org/news/2011/06/united-states-conference-mayors-unanimously-passes-resolution-calling-war-drugs-failed-

mhad
06-23-2011, 12:04 PM

AGREED! Bad timing, its one thing to have principles its another thing to give the media another attack point!

gerryb
06-23-2011, 12:30 PM
AGREED! Bad timing, its one thing to have principles its another thing to give the media another attack point!

This is perfect timing:

this is what I posted on Facebook

I don't recall seeing an Amendment to the Constitution for regulating substances -- In fact I seem to recall Alcohol prohibition was repealed in 1933 -- Millions of non-violent "criminals" in prison, and $1 Trillion wasted in enforcement over 40 years -- It's time to reign in the Federal Drug War http://money.cnn.com/2011/06/22/news/economy/legalize_pot/?cnn=yes

Have a few positive responses so far and no negatives. In response to the question
So what you're saying is... treat it the same way you treat alcohol... right?
My response was this -- which ties it in to a lot of other federal oversteps --

yes - that would be a start. Except the Federal government is also over-stepping its proper authority on regulating alcohol. And overstepping on raw almonds, pomegranate juice, and whole raw milk, how well done your steak has to be cooked, etc. etc., and is eyeballing sugar consumption and a slew of other personal choices. If the consumption of any of these things by one person causes harm to another person, we have property rights to give recourse for any damages, and in the case of mind/body altering we have state traffic and DUI laws (although outside of alcohol and "recreational" drugs I don't see how any of these other personal choices could affect the property of others, but I'm sure there could be a few odd situations).

gerryb
06-23-2011, 12:38 PM
Also, for anyone posting "bad timing" -- Do you not believe in unconditional Freedom and Liberty?

How do you reconcile that belief with your opinion that this piece of Liberty is "bad timing"?

steph3n
06-23-2011, 12:48 PM

Agreed

steph3n
06-23-2011, 12:49 PM
Also, for anyone posting "bad timing" -- Do you not believe in unconditional Freedom and Liberty?

How do you reconcile that belief with your opinion that this piece of Liberty is "bad timing"?

umm it is bad timing TO GET ELECTED IN GOP PRIMARY. Not 'bad timing' to make liberty more unrestrained.

All in context my friend.

the association with 'barney frank' is as much the issue as the bill itself, to these clowns.

pcosmar
06-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Bad Timing?
Apparently the Global Commission on Drug Policy report was bad timing.
That is what this legislation is largely based on.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=13738792

"Political leaders and public figures should have the courage to articulate publicly what many of them acknowledge privately: that the evidence overwhelmingly demonstrates that repressive strategies will not solve the drug problem, and that the war on drugs has not, and cannot, be won," the report said.

http://washingtonindependent.com/111206/global-commission-on-drug-policy-says-war-on-drugs-has-failed

The global war on drugs has failed, with devastating consequences for individuals and societies around the world. Fifty years after the initiation of the UN Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs, and 40 years after President Nixon launched the US government’s war on drugs, fundamental reforms in national and global drug control policies are urgently needed.

steph3n
06-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Bad Timing?
Apparently the Global Commission on Drug Policy report was bad timing.
That is what this legislation is largely based on.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=13738792

http://washingtonindependent.com/111206/global-commission-on-drug-policy-says-war-on-drugs-has-failed

See that report too was taken by GOP diehards (or whatever name for them) as 'globalist elites telling us what to do again'

again not a help in the primary.

I really don't mind the bill, I just think for getting primary votes, it is a big negative.

pcosmar
06-23-2011, 12:55 PM
umm it is bad timing TO GET ELECTED IN GOP PRIMARY. Not 'bad timing' to make liberty more unrestrained.

the association with 'barney frank' is as much the issue as the bill itself, to these clowns.

Sounds like it is a good time for the GOP leadership to pull it's head out of it's ass. Perhaps they should be taking the lead on this.

steph3n
06-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Sounds like it is a good time for the GOP leadership to pull it's head out of it's ass. Perhaps they should be taking the lead on this.
I agree, but it won't happen rapidly, it took 4 years for the current 'let's be Paul' movement to happen.

gerryb
06-23-2011, 01:03 PM

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!

Acceptance Speech of Barry Goldwater as the 1964 Republican Presidential candidate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVNoClu0h9M

steph3n
06-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Acceptance Speech of Barry Goldwater as the 1964 Republican Presidential candidate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVNoClu0h9M

And was goldwater elected? That is my point.

Pericles
06-23-2011, 01:14 PM
Not a federal issue, unless they want to restrict importation.

nbhadja
06-23-2011, 01:19 PM
Ron Paul is not a Republican candidate, he is a freedom candidate. This bill advocates freedom and would not hurt him. Everyone knows by now that Ron is pro-legalization.

Reason
06-23-2011, 01:23 PM
90% Yes

gerryb
06-23-2011, 01:28 PM
And was goldwater elected? That is my point.

Yes, he was the Republican candidate for President in 1964

PermanentSleep
06-23-2011, 01:30 PM
I'm hoping some day really soon that people who support Dr. Paul will also learn to trust his judgment. The man has been in Congress, mostly alone, preaching freedom since before most of us were born and he withstood all of the hatred and the criticism without us for over 2 decades. If anyone understands the situation we all face, if anyone understands that there is no next time, it is, for the love of f'ing God, Ron Fucking Paul. A dude who is willing to speak against the status quo at every opportunity knows they are risking physical or character assassination, yet he proceeds daily to continue his fight. Out of respect for everything the man has endured for decades without us, you would think the least we could do is trust his personal judgment. Imagine the intellectual capacity and the personal character it took to see everything wrong 30 years ago and making the choice daily to press onward in spite of all of the personal ridicule.

scottditzen
06-23-2011, 01:30 PM
voted Y E S!!!!!!!!!!!

PermanentSleep
06-23-2011, 01:32 PM
And I definitely voted yes.

iGGz
06-23-2011, 01:49 PM
I've gotten about 10 friends to support Ron Paul just because of it. They all previously voted for Obama. If you spread this news to every little mountain town in America they will vote for Ron Paul lol

PermanentSleep
06-23-2011, 01:54 PM
I've gotten about 10 friends to support Ron Paul just because of it. They all previously voted for Obama. If you spread this news to every little mountain town in America they will vote for Ron Paul lol

I live in a mountain town, and you're absolutely right. Lol

steph3n
06-23-2011, 02:03 PM

Educate them about the primary process, simply 'liking' Ron isn't enough, you have to get out and vote at the right times, which are primaries, which also have rules set in place by the state GOP, so make sure that they can register as a GOP member if required by your state.

pcosmar
06-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Educate them about the primary process, simply 'liking' Ron isn't enough, you have to get out and vote at the right times, which are primaries, which also have rules set in place by the state GOP, so make sure that they can register as a GOP member if required by your state.
Some here need to be educated about the Primary process.
My State is OPEN Primary. That means everyone can vote. (last I knew 17 states are Open primary)

iGGz
06-23-2011, 03:32 PM

Where exactly did I say that they simply "like" him. I believe I used the word support him. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I am well aware of what primaries are and the fact that I live in an open primary state. I find it amusing that you seem to think you're the only one who knows what a primary is lol...

BuddyRey
06-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Voted and commented!

zach
06-23-2011, 10:37 PM
With rising momentum of the population noticing what's useless and demeaning to society, I think it's safe to say that this is excellent timing to promote freedom across the board.

BuddyRey
06-24-2011, 02:22 PM
Bump!

Acala
06-24-2011, 02:37 PM
I think it's brilliant. You KNOW that if he gets some momentum going, the MSM and other candidates will use the "crazy libertarian" angle. So he is beating them to the punch. Instead of cowering and dodging, not that he would ever do that, he goes on the offensive! The other candidates won't know what to do because they have no principles to guide them. While they are stammering, Ron can defend the bill with cool reason. AND he will get tons of positive attention.

And, in the bigger picture, he is actually advancing the ball of liberty just by bringing the issue to the fore. The drug war is not just a minor matter. It is a travesty. The drug war is largely responsible for the militarization of local law enforcement. The drug war has made us the prison capital of the world. The drug war has ruined countless lives and helped to destroyed black and hispanic communities. It is very much a worthy target of the good Doctor's powers.

And LOTS of people are really tired of it.