PDA

View Full Version : Is Bruce Springsteen one of us?

bobbyw24
06-23-2011, 08:49 AM
Listen to how he introduces this song at 1:25-2:00 of vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wlgm7Fehaw

sailingaway
06-23-2011, 08:51 AM
I understand he is fairly progressive, supported Obama.

matt0611
06-23-2011, 08:54 AM
I understand he is fairly progressive, supported Obama.

Yep, he is not one of us.

ctiger2
06-23-2011, 08:58 AM
I've always thought of The Boss as a limousine liberal. Total NIMBY.

bobbyw24
06-23-2011, 09:02 AM
I've always thought of The Boss as a limousine liberal. Total NIMBY.

I was at one of his shows in Tampa in 2000 and he gave a speech about how Florida should not outlaw affirmative action. It dawned on me that neither he nor his children would ever have to face any such polices in hiring

Elwar
06-23-2011, 09:08 AM
He is one of us as in the fact that he was Born in the USA...

bobbyw24
06-23-2011, 09:09 AM
He is one of us as in the fact that he was Born in the USA...

Yep--and he has an official Certificate of Live Birth

HOLLYWOOD
06-23-2011, 10:00 AM
I've always thought of The Boss as a limousine liberal. Total NIMBY. Sure is... Oh, add Jon Bon Jovi to that class too.
http://media.lawrence.com/img/photos/2004/10/29/nakerry_t440.jpg?9e2a24ba44807f8f9b96aad7c4082bf6d ed075dchttp://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i191/hissyspit/r412486444.jpg
http://img2.newser.com/square-image/35751-20110401004520/bon-jovi-springsteen-to-rock-obamas-dnc-speech.jpeg

Valli6
06-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Is Bruce Springsteen one of us?
NO!
During the last election he shilled for Obama, stating that he was the "real deal".
(Way to do some research, Bruce!)

I actually used to go see this guy back in the late 70's (my friends liked him :rolleyes:), and I've always felt his whole "workin' class" persona was just a role he plays. True - he wasn't born wealthy, but he hardly struggled. His speechifying is just part of the act!

He's one of many, many wealthy New Jerseyans that take advantage of a tax break intended for farmers - by paying someone to do some minimal farm tasks on his many-acred property. You can vastly reduce your taxes by buying a few horses, or letting a field of grass grow and then calling it "hay". Poof - you're a farmer! He supports the policies, but he's not so worried about paying his "fair share".

oyarde
06-23-2011, 10:49 AM
No , limo commie .

AFPVet
06-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Nope.... He supported the Clinton's IIRC.

bobbyw24
06-23-2011, 12:30 PM
So says Red State

When New Jersey’s Republican governor, Chris Christie, was sworn into office, he chose to celebrate at his inauguration by joining a Bruce Springsteen cover band in singing the Boss’ signature anthem, ‘Born to Run’. Governor Christie hails from Bruce’s home state of New Jersey, and his zealous Springsteen fandom is perhaps unusually dedicated for a politician. But it also symbolizes a paradox: while Springsteen has long been open about his left-wing political views and has hit the campaign trail for the last two Democratic presidential candidates, he remains enduringly popular with a broad segment of conservatives and Republicans. In part, that’s for the obvious reason: Bruce is a rock legend with a ton of fans, so we should be unsurprised that he would have fans of every political persuasion. It’s also partly demographic; Bruce’s fans tend to be disproportionately white and, increasingly, older, and those are more conservative groups than the population at large. But my own anecdotal sense is that Bruce’s fanbase is - if anything - more conservative-leaning than you would explain by those factors alone, and certainly not markedly more liberal. Speaking as a conservative and a longtime Springsteen diehard, let me offer some theories as to why that is. This is not an essay dedicated to claiming Springsteen for the Right, or arguing that he’s unwittingly some sort of crypto-conservative, although I do note at a few points conservative themes in his writing and his life. Rather, my argument is that the things that appeal to fans of Bruce Springsteen and his music are, quite logically, most appealing to conservatives.

Generally, we conservatives have pretty low expectations, politically, for our pop-culture icons. We understand that most of them don’t agree with us on politics or policy. So, what we look for are artists who have some tolerance and respect for us, some themes in common with our worldview, and sometimes being one of the good guys on something. Bruce delivers on all counts.

(1) Decency

One of the principal complaints of conservatives about the culture is that it’s a sewer of indecency: too much sex, too much bad language, too much immorality of various kinds…in general, too much bombardment of the young and the unwilling with messages and imagery that subvert any effort to bring kids to maturity gradually, with the perspective of time.

Bruce may be a liberal, but on this count, he’s been one of the good guys for a very long time. People bring their kids to Springsteen concerts and play his albums in the car without worry; out of his vast catalog, I can count on one hand the number of Springsteen songs I have to censor from my kids, and none of them are his major hits (on Live in Dublin, you can hear an audible crowd reaction to the line in ‘Long Time Coming’ where Bruce uses the F word). Bruce deals in adult themes without forcing his listeners into adulthood. Contrast this to a self-identified Republican like Britney Spears, who launched her career as an icon of underage sexuality, sings about threesomes and has presented an ongoing reality-show-style trainwreck of a life offstage.

More:

http://www.redstate.com/dan_mclaughlin/2011/01/10/bruce-springsteen-and-the-right/

inibo
06-23-2011, 12:33 PM
I like his music.

bobbyw24
06-23-2011, 04:51 PM
I like his music.

We have something in common

FreedomProsperityPeace
06-23-2011, 05:22 PM
His music is good, his politics suck. If he believed in what he was saying about the Constitution and our men dying in wars et cetera, he would be ranting on a rooftop about Obama right now. He should be writing a song tonight about how he and the American people were betrayed by a lying Chicago politician.

Fredom101
06-23-2011, 05:24 PM
Funny, all of those he mentioned that he is against, Obama is for and is doing RIGHT NOW. Amazing the blindness of many celebs.

BlackTerrel
06-23-2011, 10:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEPXk0kEcas

Zippyjuan
06-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Reagan tried to co-opt "Born in the USA" as part of his campaign (the Conservatives were trying to use any possible "patriotic" symbol they could). Trying to seem hip to the young people too (it was a popular hit at the time). Bruce told him to stop using it. Despite it's happy sounding title, the song was really about how govenment policies were making it hard on the little guy.
"Born down in a deadman's town. First kick I took was when I hit the ground. End up like a dog being kicked too much- spend half you life trying to cover it up."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_in_the_U.S.A._(song)

Political reactions

In late August 1984, the Born in the U.S.A. album was selling very well, its songs were all over the radio, and the associated tour was drawing considerable press. Springsteen shows at the Capital Centre outside of Washington, D.C. thus attracted even more media attention, in particular from CBS Evening News correspondent Bernard Goldberg, who saw Springsteen as a modern-day Horatio Alger story. Even more notably, the widely-read conservative columnist George Will, after attending a show, published on September 13, 1984 a piece titled "A Yankee Doodle Springsteen" in which he praised Springsteen as an exemplar of classic American values. He wrote: "I have not got a clue about Springsteen's politics, if any, but flags get waved at his concerts while he sings songs about hard times. He is no whiner, and the recitation of closed factories and other problems always seems punctuated by a grand, cheerful affirmation: 'Born in the U.S.A.!'"[4] The 1984 presidential campaign was in full stride at the time, and Will had connections to President Ronald Reagan's re-election organization. Will thought that Springsteen might endorse Reagan (not knowing that Springsteen was very much a liberal and thus did not support Reagan at all), and got the notion pushed up to high-level Reagan advisor Michael Deaver's office. Those staffers made inquiries to Springsteen's management which were politely rebuffed.

Nevertheless, on September 19, 1984, at a campaign stop in Hammonton, New Jersey, Reagan added the following to his usual stump speech:
"America's future rests in a thousand dreams inside your hearts; it rests in the message of hope in songs so many young Americans admire: New Jersey's own Bruce Springsteen. And helping you make those dreams come true is what this job of mine is all about." [5]
The campaign press immediately expressed skepticism that Reagan knew anything about Springsteen, and asked what his favorite Springsteen song was; "Born to Run" was the tardy response from staffers. Johnny Carson then joked on The Tonight Show, "If you believe that, I've got a couple of tickets to the Mondale-Ferraro inaugural ball I'd like to sell you."

During a September 21 concert in Pittsburgh, Springsteen responded negatively by introducing his song "Johnny 99", a song about an unemployed auto worker who turns to murder, "The President was mentioning my name the other day, and I kinda got to wondering what his favorite album musta been. I don't think it was the Nebraska album. I don't think he's been listening to this one."[6]

A few days after that, presidential challenger Walter Mondale said, "Bruce Springsteen may have been born to run but he wasn't born yesterday," and then claimed to have been endorsed by Springsteen. Springsteen manager Jon Landau denied any such endorsement, and the Mondale campaign issued a correction.

With "Born in the U.S.A." Springsteen was wildly misunderstood, at least for a short period. With these sound bites from Reagan and other right-wingers praising the song and Springsteen, himself, it seemed as though they'd missed the point entirely. Springsteen was lamenting the loss of a true sense of national pride. The working class no longer had a say in the foreign policy or decisions made by the government as a whole. The reverberating chorus of "Born in the U.S.A." was a cry of longing, of sorrow. It was a hollow cry of patriotism that once was, but now ceased to exist.[3]

In Springsteen’s own words, the song "Born in the U.S.A." is about "a working-class man" [in the midst of a] "spiritual crisis, in which man is left lost...It's like he has nothing left to tie him into society anymore. He's isolated from the government. Isolated from his family...to the point where nothing makes sense." [3] Springsteen promotes the fact that the endless search for truth is the true American way.[7] He was frightened by the government continually rationalizing the Vietnam War.[citation needed]

Journalist Brian Doherty has written: "The song’s lyrics are about a shell-shocked vet with 'no place to run, nowhere to go.' But who’s to say Reagan wasn’t right to insist the song was an upper? When I hear those notes and that drumbeat, and the Boss’ best arena-stentorian, shout-groan vocals come over the speakers, I feel like I’m hearing the national anthem."[8]

Johncjackson
06-24-2011, 01:04 AM
I don't think he is, but honestly as a libertarian I feel in the minority here a lot, and maybe I am not one of "Us" either.

purplechoe
06-24-2011, 03:38 AM
No, and I think he's one of the most overrated musicians of the last 30 years...

bobbyw24
06-24-2011, 05:22 AM
Springsteen demonstrates no grasp of American political history–particularly the history that proves shrinking the size of government, like Christie is doing, results in greater wealth for all.

And while I’m embarrassed for Springsteen, I’m also appalled by his hypocrisy. I mean, here is a man who takes advantage of the system in order to keep from paying all the taxes he’s supposed to pay in his home state of New Jersey: which means he’s making sure his money isn’t in the system to be distributed to those less fortunate ones whom he’s accusing Christie of overlooking.

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/awrhawkins/2011/04/05/bruce-springsteen-do-as-i-say-not-as-i-do/

bobbyw24
06-24-2011, 05:20 PM
No, and I think he's one of the most overrated musicians of the last 30 years...

Not one of us-agreed.

Overrated? How much of his 5,000+ song catalog have you heard?

Zippyjuan
06-24-2011, 08:30 PM
Not one of us-agreed.

Seeing one of his concerts (even today) will convert most skeptics. That is how he built his career- give the audience everything he and his band has. Part rock and roll, part almost religious revival in attitude. A person would like Springsteen- go to a show. Next time Bruce is in town, that person takes a friend- even if they have to buy that friend a ticket. I got into him that way. I have seen him in a 500 seat outdoor theater and seen him in Munich Germany. He has strayed more from his rock roots in recent years and I can understand that if this is your only experience of his work, it will seem less interesting. I prefer mostly his stuff up to and including "The River" album from the 1980's. Great stories in each song.

Plays for two hours, takes a 20 minute break, and back again for another hour and a half. Probably plays 200 or more shows a year at that pace. The Grateful Dead or Fish may play as many shows and long ones too, but they don't have the high energy of a Springsteen concert. Though you still scream for more, you are drained at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0CAKc3k5pY&playnext=1&list=PL030577108C79ACBE

His energy for the encore- after 3 1/2 hours playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUksPONKOrc&playnext=1&list=PLFBE8683671DC87B7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hsFz34oiDo&feature=related

That song is so long it takes two parts on YouTube (if you don't want to watch the whole thing I would skip directly to part II):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mwjXjJsen8&feature=related

musicmax
06-24-2011, 09:09 PM
That song is so long it takes two parts on YouTube (if you don't want to watch the whole thing I would skip directly to part II):

When the final book on Springsteen is written, all will be in agreement that "Kitty's Back" - not BTR, not Rosalita - is his magnum opus, and that Capitol Theater '78 is his best show. Turn it up and melt the speakers!

Zippyjuan
06-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Random list of some of my favorites:
Hard to Be a Saint in The City
E Street Shuffle
Growing Up
Meeting Across the River/ Jungleland
Incident on 57th Street
Spirits in The Night
The Fever
Lost in the Flood
Not his, but his performance of the Detroit Medly- Good Golly Miss Molly/ Devel With Blue Dress On/ CC Rider

I have felt that you could take his first three or four albums and put together a high quality musical with those songs. Set in New Jersey of course (but could substitute New York as well). Jungleland serves as the into.

Light comes up on stage under a single streetlamp. You notice somebody leaning up against it- smoking a cigarette (could leave off the cig)- brim of his hat pulled down over his eyes. He begins to sing:
"Well, the Rangers had a homecoming in Harlem late last night. And the Magic Rat drove his sleek machine over the Jersey State line. Barefoot sitting on the hood of a Dodge, drinking a warm beer in the soft summer rain." As the song progresses, lights start to come on- lighting the night street seen. Dancers come onto the stage in ones and two.

Charachters in clued Rosie and Maria and Johnny- her boyfriend. Maria (Mary in some songs but that could be changed) is seen in an upstairs window by a fire escape.

inibo
06-25-2011, 12:44 AM
Random list of some of my favorites:
Hard to Be a Saint in The City
E Street Shuffle
Growing Up
Meeting Across the River/ Jungleland
Incident on 57th Street
Spirits in The Night
The Fever
Lost in the Flood

Those are some gooders, but I would add all of "Tunnel of Love" and "The Seeger Sessions"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTF2ZkqCa4M

james1906
06-25-2011, 01:14 AM
Springsteen, Bon Jovi, and Mellencamp all have far left politics, but rednecks love them all.

purplechoe
06-25-2011, 03:44 AM
Not one of us-agreed.

Probably very little if he he wrote 5k+ songs. I think he's a good musician ( like the song he wrote for the movie "Philadelphia") the rest of the stuff that I've heard from him doesn't do much for me. He kind of reminds me of Dave Matthews band. I think he's a good musician I just don't get why he became so huge to be selling out football stadiums.

BTW, I like all kinds of music, rock, electronica, hip-hop, classical, etc...

bobbyw24
08-21-2011, 03:05 PM
Springsteen, Bon Jovi, and Mellencamp all have far left politics, but rednecks love them all.

True. Ha ha.

Anti Federalist
08-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Is Bruce Springsteen one of us?

No.

Revolution9
08-21-2011, 04:50 PM
So says Red State

When New Jersey’s Republican governor, Chris Christie, was sworn into office, he chose to celebrate at his inauguration by joining a Bruce Springsteen cover band in singing the Boss’ signature anthem, ‘Born to Run’.

"The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive"

"It's a death trap, it's a suicide rap
You better get out while your young"

Seems folks don't pay attention to music lyrics much. Like them thinking Born In The USA is a patriotic song because it repeats the USA mantra.

Rev9

Revolution9
08-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Seeing one of his concerts (even today) will convert most skeptics.

It converted me. I fell asleep halfway through when he went into his amurikan foke sanger routine. I never liked him after that.

Rev9

Anti Federalist
08-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Like them thinking Born In The USA is a patriotic song because it repeats the USA mantra.

Rev9

I used to chuckle about that too...not a very "pro USA" song at all, at least not in the " 'Merica! Fuck Yeah" way.

Born down in a dead man's town
The first kick I took was when I hit the ground
You end up like a dog that's been beat too much
Till you spend half your life just covering up
Born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Got in a little hometown jam so they put a rifle in my hand
Sent me off to a foreign land to go and kill the yellow man
Born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Come back home to the refinery
Hiring man says "son if it was up to me"
Went down to see my V.A. man
He said "son don't you understand now"
Had a brother at Khe Sahn fighting off the Viet Cong
They're still there he's all gone
He had a woman he loved in Saigon
I got a picture of him in her arms now
Down in the shadow of penitentiary
Out by the gas fires of the refinery
I'm ten years burning down the road
Nowhere to run ain't got nowhere to go
Born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
I'm a long gone daddy in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
I'm a cool rocking daddy in the U.S.A.

Zap!
08-21-2011, 11:20 PM
He's a leftist, no-talent thug, like that other jerkoff Bon Jovi. Ef 'em both.

CaptainAmerica
08-21-2011, 11:25 PM
Not sure about Bruce and I don't trust any famous musician ,and you should watch this documentary about the music industry.You will never listen to modern music the same again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DikoLMfnEgE

qh4dotcom
08-21-2011, 11:48 PM
"Is Bruce Springsteen one of us?"
-------------
Is anyone in Hollywood besides Drew Carey one of us?

Zap!
08-21-2011, 11:50 PM
-------------

Charlton Heston was sorta. I'll tell you who is 100% though. The Indian guy in Predator. Sonny something.

Anti Federalist
08-22-2011, 12:03 AM
-------------

Russell Means was an actor.

CaptainAmerica
08-22-2011, 12:18 AM
Russell Means was an actor.

Mos Def is one of us...except he might not fully understand the concepts of liberty he is on the same track when it comes to understanding government is bad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzBUktSV2GE A truly respectable down to earth hip hop artist who knows what the art is about.

bobbyw24
09-28-2011, 06:54 AM
Springsteen for Ron Paul in 2012? (Boss1949 Tweet)

http://twitter.com/#!/Boss1949

Calls already coming from Obama to stump for him in 2012 ... How can I break it to him that this time I'm voting for Ron Paul?

brushfire
09-28-2011, 07:24 AM
Springsteen for Ron Paul in 2012? (Boss1949 Tweet)

http://twitter.com/#!/Boss1949

Calls already coming from Obama to stump for him in 2012 ... How can I break it to him that this time I'm voting for Ron Paul?

Ferrilla?

wannaberocker
09-28-2011, 09:24 AM
The Boss loves socialism.

kahless
09-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Some of those tweets are pretty funny.

Zap!
09-28-2011, 01:12 PM
I know where that WaWa in Freehold is. I've been there 100 times or more, I can't believe he goes there. :)

jmdrake
09-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Excuse me, but who is "us"? Seriously? A lot of people on the left are "of us" in that they don't like torture or the wars or the bailouts etc. "CaptainAmerica"[1] posted a clip of Mos Def. M.D. is not one of "us" when it comes to economics, but he's most definitely (no pun intended) one of us when it comes to truly understanding our screwed up foreign policy. Same thing Lupe Fiasco. Hell, when I started off supporting Ron Paul I had a totally different view of economics. Before the bailouts it wasn't even my number one issue. At Meetups people would say "We all need to learn about Austrian Economics" and I was like "What the hell is that?" I didn't know what it was until long after the election. I hope someone reading this is getting my point. Sometimes people at RPF spends far so much time hating on folks simply for having a different understanding of economic issues that they never take the time to figure out whether those economic issues are even that important to the potential voter. Most Americans don't even know what "kenynesianism" is as shown by the Reason youtube where people were ask if they thought Obama was a Kenynesian, and they angrily replied "No! He was born in America!" We can have our little laugh at stuff like that, but does our elitism win elections?

We have a great opportunity to win this race. But its not going to be one by simply reaching enough "likely republican voters". It's not going to be won 100% on voter outreach period. The reason we aren't in front should be as obvious as the nose on your face. Republicans believe they have to be pro-warfare to be republican and democrats believe they have to be pro-welfare to be democrats. Until we convince enough people on either side of that false left-right paradigm that their particular position viewpoint isn't getting them where they want to go. Liberals are becoming disillusioned with Obama over the economy, but they don't really understand that it's the policies many of them support that are screwing up the economy. Conservatives are upset about foreign policy without realizing that Obama has basically continued the Bush foreign policy and that the "Arab spring" they fear so much is no different from the "liberation" of Iraq. And somehow we haven't figured out how to connect with either group.

Notes:
[1] Anybody know why CaptainAmerica was banned?

bobbyw24
09-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Excuse me, but who is "us"?

Good question.

Sounds collectivist--LOL

bobbyw24
11-02-2011, 10:28 AM
The Boss loves socialism.

Please verify