PDA

View Full Version : Issue with a One Issue Voter (?)

Jake Ralston
06-23-2011, 06:50 AM
I'm sure many of you have come across this before. I just got finished with a nice little chat. The topic? Politics and the election. We started off pretty broad. As the topics narrowed, I found a good opportunity to casually mention Ron Paul.

The guy instantly walls up and responds with something like "Not a chance, if Ron Paul is elected i'll lose my job. And i'm making good money right now."

Turns out the guy is some kind of defense contractor. He does one-year tours in Afghanistan working on some type of alarm equipment.

I pressed the issue. Mentioning Ron's philosophy as a whole, and all the benefits it would bring. But this guy wasn't having it.

Lost cause?

eduardo89
06-23-2011, 06:55 AM
Most people who suck on the government teet won't change until it runs dry.

Elwar
06-23-2011, 07:08 AM
I'm sure many of you have come across this before. I just got finished with a nice little chat. The topic? Politics and the election. We started off pretty broad. As the topics narrowed, I found a good opportunity to casually mention Ron Paul.

The guy instantly walls up and responds with something like "Not a chance, if Ron Paul is elected i'll lose my job. And i'm making good money right now."

Turns out the guy is some kind of defense contractor. He does one-year tours in Afghanistan working on some type of alarm equipment.

I pressed the issue. Mentioning Ron's philosophy as a whole, and all the benefits it would bring. But this guy wasn't having it.

Lost cause?

I too am a defense contractor making big bucks thanks to the non-stop supply of wars. I had a bit of practical vs principle this past spring when I lost my job just before they passed the budget. The companies weren't going to hire people until they knew what the budget was going to be. So the libertarian in me wanted them to not pass the budget and cut as much as they could while my wallet said that I hoped they'd pass it soon so I could get a job.

I support Ron Paul and hope that he puts me out of work.

I'll probably have to take a pay cut and find something in the private sector. Though I did most of my job searching in the private sector this last go round and the office environments seemed so much nicer. With windows in offices and no key badges for getting through every door. Though I didn't get hired by any because the private sector rewards specialization while the defense industry thrives on someone with a wide range of skills so that they can bid on a wide range of contracts.

The guy is probably making a lot of money in Afghanistan. Tell him that his money will be worthless with the inflation that will hit if Ron Paul doesn't win. That his investments would go up with Ron Paul creating a boom for businesses in the US and his investments will thrive and he could retire early or go work for the private sector or open his own business and prosper.

That Afghanistan and Iraq money is good...I'll probably go back. There will always be a war somewhere (unless Ron Paul is elected).

swissaustrian
06-23-2011, 07:21 AM
I too am a defense contractor making big bucks thanks to the non-stop supply of wars. I had a bit of practical vs principle this past spring when I lost my job just before they passed the budget. The companies weren't going to hire people until they knew what the budget was going to be. So the libertarian in me wanted them to not pass the budget and cut as much as they could while my wallet said that I hoped they'd pass it soon so I could get a job.

I support Ron Paul and hope that he puts me out of work.

Rep. for altruism :)

In addition to your arguments: your life is not in constant danger and you will see your loved ones regularly.

sailingaway
06-23-2011, 07:30 AM
lost cause. If he doesn't love liberty more than having taxpayers pay for his job whether the country needs it or not...

Jake Ralston
06-23-2011, 08:06 AM
lost cause. If he doesn't love liberty more than having taxpayers pay for his job whether the country needs it or not...

I agree, lost cause. So I guess that puts me in the free and clear to go on attack mode then? May as well.

Exponent
06-23-2011, 08:20 AM
I agree, lost cause. So I guess that puts me in the free and clear to go on attack mode then? May as well.
What benefit is there in doing that?

Paul Or Nothing II
06-23-2011, 08:28 AM

Why attack him? Although it's not probable any time soon but may be he'd change his mind & become more like Elwar when he finds out more & more about where the country is & the things that are at stake. May be tell him about things that Elwar has mentioned like hyperinflation & the threat of police-state, etc. Attacking anyone doesn't really help, you can spend that time on someone else who might be more open to Ron's views.

specsaregood
06-23-2011, 08:33 AM
Lost cause?

That is when you shake their hand and thank them for helping destroy our country.

Jake Ralston
06-23-2011, 08:37 AM
Oops my bad about the attack comment, I meant to put a /sarcasm on it!

I totally agree, no sense in wasting time in attacking when you could be talking to someone else with a more open mind.

Elwar
06-23-2011, 08:46 AM
Rep. for altruism :)

lol at altruism

Ron Paul winning gives me the benefit of being able to raise children in a free country.

It is all for purely selfish reasons.

PaulConventionWV
06-23-2011, 09:50 AM
lol at altruism

Ron Paul winning gives me the benefit of being able to raise children in a free country.

It is all for purely selfish reasons.

It's not selfish if it's for your kids.

LibertyEagle
06-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Move along to the next person. There are still tons of low-hanging fruit out there.

newyearsrevolution08
06-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Most people who suck on the government teet won't change until it runs dry.

I wouldn't put it as harsh as that.

I look at it like this

A man who might have a family and kids, looking for stability (many think that comes FROM the government) and end up in state/fed/gov jobs.

What is wrong with this man not wanting to lose his job, his income, his pension, his EVERYTHING and to possibly start from scratch? It has zero to do with some lazy ass collecting free money sitting at home drinking beer.

Now to what I would tell the man however. Look our current system has made it to where YOUR JOB and thousands upon thousands of other jobs are not only on the line but also have ZERO chance of staying around long term. He asks how would I know that? Simple, we are spending MORE than we bring in and just like YOU and YOUR BILLS at home, if you don't have the money what do you do? CUT SHIT OUT RIGHt?

To me any government worker should get fired IF that department wasn't supposed to be there in the first place. Maybe we can get back to the industries in this country we were once proud of again instead of working for a government.