PDA

View Full Version : The Nation: Obama's Too-Slow Afghan "Exit" Strategy Scores Him No Political Points

sailingaway
06-22-2011, 08:14 PM
http://www.thenation.com/blog/161605/obamas-too-slow-afghan-exit-strategy-scores-him-no-political-points

Barack Obama won the Democratic nomination for president because grassroots progressives thought he was marginally more anti-war than Hillary Clinton.

After securing the nomination, Obama was elected president.

Upon securing the Oval Office,he promptly abandoned any pretense of being opposed to military misadventures abroad, appointed Clinton as his Secretary of State, kept the Bush-Cheney regime’s team at the Department of Defense, surged more troops into Afghanistan and steered U.S. forces into a new fight with Libya.

Now, the president is proposing to remove some of the troops he sent to Afghanistan – about 10,000 (roughly 7 percent of the occupation force) by the end of the year.

The U.S. force on the ground in Afghanistan will still be more substantial than the force that George W. Bush and Dick Cheney put on the ground there.

Indeed, even by the most optimistic timeline proposed by Obama, the U.S. occupation force will at the end of Obama’s first term be much larger than the U.S. force that was there when Bush and Cheney left the White House in 2009.

Under Obama, the war will continue for years to come.

more at link

Brett85
06-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Watching Fox News right now just makes me sick, and I'm normally a fan of Fox News. Establishment conservatives in the media are as out of touch with grassroots conservatives as you can possibly get. The same goes with most of the GOP candidates running for President. Grassroots conservatives want to get out of Afghanistan and defend our own country. I'm just sick of this.

FreedomProsperityPeace
06-22-2011, 10:50 PM
I'm enjoying watching the president squirm under antiwar pressure created by Ron Paul. I even think he made a sly reference to Dr. Paul in his speech.

White Bear Lake
06-22-2011, 11:40 PM
Ron, Rand, and a few other real conservatives in the House and Senate are solely responsible for this sudden emphasis on foreign policy. The GOP should be thanking us. It's bring back to light that Obama is a directionless leader and making him look very bad.