PDA

View Full Version : Matt Taibbi piece on M. Bachmann

swissaustrian
06-22-2011, 03:38 PM
First of all, I know this is not the right forum for it, but to me this one is so important that it should be on the main grassroots forum because it could have a reasonable impact on Iowa:
Rolling Stone´s Matt Taibbi today published a hitpiece on Michele Bachmann.
It exposes her as a pathologically lying neocon christian anti gay (people, not only marriage) fundamentalist. The hypocrisy of this woman is unbelievable.

As Bachmann is THE contender for Ron Paul in Iowa, everyone campaigning over there should use the information inside this article. That does not mean you should spread the article itself because it´s a polemic hitpiece. But please use the information inside selectively. It´s going to help you.
Just a two examples:
- Her foster children are NOT living with her since at least 12 years.
- She is militantly anti-gay (not only anti gay marriage), though one of her step-siblings, Helen LaFave, is a lesbian

The list goes on and on, i tried to point out the important facts of this very long article:

Michele Bachmann's Holy War
The Tea Party contender may seem like a goofball, but be warned: Her presidential campaign is no laughing matter
Bachmann is a religious zealot whose brain is a raging electrical storm of divine visions and paranoid delusions. She believes that the Chinese are plotting to replace the dollar bill, that light bulbs are killing our dogs and cats, and that God personally chose her to become both an IRS attorney who would spend years hounding taxpayers and a raging anti-tax Tea Party crusader against big government. She kicked off her unofficial presidential campaign in New Hampshire, by mistakenly declaring it the birthplace of the American Revolution. "It's your state that fired the shot that was heard around the world!" she gushed. "You are the state of Lexington and Concord, you started the battle for liberty right here in your backyard."
In modern American politics, being the right kind of ignorant and entertainingly crazy is like having a big right hand in boxing; you've always got a puncher's chance. And Bachmann is exactly the right kind of completely batshit crazy. Not medically crazy, not talking-to-herself-on-the-subway crazy, but grandiose crazy, late-stage Kim Jong-Il crazy — crazy in the sense that she's living completely inside her own mind, frenetically pacing the hallways of a vast sand castle she's built in there, unable to meaningfully communicate with the human beings on the other side of the moat, who are all presumed to be enemies.
But by the time you've finished reviewing her record of lies and embellishments and contradictions, you'll have no idea if she actually believes in her own divine inspiration, or whether it's a big con job. Or maybe both are true — in which case this hard-charging challenger for the GOP nomination is a rare breed of political psychopath, equal parts crazed Divine Wind kamikaze-for-Jesus and calculating, six-faced Machiavellian prevaricator. Whatever she is, she's no joke.
One of Bachmann's step-siblings, Helen LaFave, would later come out as a lesbian, a fact that Michele, who became famous opposing gay marriage, never mentions on the campaign trail
Michele entered one of the most ridiculous learning institutions in the Western Hemisphere, a sort of highway rest area with legal accreditation called the O.W. Coburn School of Law; Michele was a member of its inaugural class in 1979.
Originally a division of Oral Roberts University, this august academy, dedicated to the teaching of "the law from a biblical worldview," has gone through no fewer than three names — including the Christian Broadcasting Network School of Law. Those familiar with the darker chapters in George W. Bush's presidency might recognize the school's current name, the Regent University School of Law. Yes, this was the tiny educational outhouse that, despite being the 136th-ranked law school in the country, where 60 percent of graduates flunked the bar, produced a flood of entrants into the Bush Justice Department.
This background is significant considering Bachmann's leadership role in the Tea Party, a movement ostensibly founded on ideas of limited government. Bachmann says she believes in a limited state, but she was educated in an extremist Christian tradition that rejects the entire notion of a separate, secular legal authority and views earthly law as an instrument for interpreting biblical values. As a legislator, she not only worked to impose a ban on gay marriage, she also endorsed a report that proposed banning anyone who "espoused or supported Shariah law" from immigrating to the U.S. (Bachmann seems so unduly obsessed with Shariah law that, after listening to her frequent pronouncements on the subject, one begins to wonder if her crazed antipathy isn't born of professional jealousy.)
This discrepancy may account for why some Tea Party leaders don't buy Bachmann as a champion of small government. "Michele Bachmann is — what's the old-school term? — a poser," says Chris Littleton, an Ohio Tea Party leader troubled by her support of the Patriot Act and other big-government interventions. "Look at her record and see how 'Tea Party' she really is."
When Bachmann finished her studies in Oklahoma, Marcus instructed her to do her postgraduate work in tax law — a command Michele took as divinely ordained. She would later profess to complete surprise at God's choice for her field of study. "Tax law? I hate taxes," she said. "Why should I go and do something like that?" Still, she sucked it up and did as she was told. "The Lord says: Be submissive, wives, you are to be submissive to your husbands."
Michele took a job as a tax attorney collecting for the IRS and spent the next four years sucking on the tit of the Internal Revenue Service, which makes her Tea Party-leader hypocrisy quotient about average. (At least she didn't collect more than $250,000 in federal farm subsidies between 1995 and 2006 — that was her father-in-law.) It was after Bachmann quit the IRS in 1993 that her political career really began; although she had volunteered for Jimmy Carter in her youth and had been an anti-abortion protester, she didn't become a major player in Stillwater until she joined a group of fellow Christian activists to form New Heights, one of the first charter schools in America.
Bachmann joined up with a Junior Anti-Sex League-type outfit called the Maple River Education Coalition, which was largely composed of Christian conservatives rallying against educational standards. The group met in a church, and its sessions resembled old-time religious revivals, complete with whooping and hollering. "There were enormous amounts of 'amens,'" recalls Mary Cecconi, a Stillwater resident who attended an early meeting of Maple River. "It's like a mission from God with those people." Maple River was so out there that Minnesota's then-governor, Jesse Ventura, no slouch in the batshit-conspiracy department, dismissed the group as nothing but a bunch of people who "think UFOs are landing next month."
Bachmann substituted a higher authority than Bill Pulkrabek. It was God, she insisted, not a girlfriend-abusing politician, who instructed her to get involved in politics. "As if we didn't have enough to do, He called me to run for the Minnesota State Senate," she said in 2006. "I had no idea, no desire to be in politics. None."
In another version of the story told by Bachmann, she ran against Laidig only because a GOP endorsing convention in April of that year spontaneously selected her, prompting yet another Home Alone extreme-surprise moment. "I came in wearing jeans, a sweatshirt and moccasins, and I had no makeup on at all," she said. "I had made not one phone call, and spent not five cents, and I did not solicit a vote." Laidig, who calls Bachmann a "cold and calculating" person, didn't buy it. "Absolute bullshit," he told reporters. "She planned this all along."
Bachmann's entire political career has followed this exact same pattern of God-speaks-directly-to-me fundamentalism mixed with pathological, relentless, conscienceless lying. She's not a liar in the traditional way of politicians, who tend to lie dully, usefully and (they hope) believably, often with the aim of courting competing demographics at the same time. That's not what Bachmann's thing is. Bachmann lies because she can't help it, because it's a built-in component of both her genetics and her ideology. She is at once the most entertaining and the most dangerous kind of liar, a turbocharged cross between a born bullshit artist and a religious fanatic, for whom lying to the infidel is a kind of holy duty
It has taken just over 10 years for Bachmann to go from small-town PTA maven to serious presidential contender, a testament to both her rare and unerring talent for generating media attention, and to her truly astonishing energy level and narcissistic tenacity. Minnesota politicians who have squared off against Bachmann all speak with a kind of horrified reverence for her martial indomitability, her brilliantly fortifying lack of self-doubt, even the fact that she hasn't appeared to physically age at all in 10 years. "She will not stop," says Cecconi.
In 2003, after the Massachusetts Supreme Court issued its famous ruling permitting gay marriage, Bachmann proposed an amendment to the Minnesota constitution banning gay marriage — despite the fact that the state legislature had already passed a law making same-sex unions illegal. Even the politicians who were sufficiently gay-phobic to have passed the original anti-*marriage law were floored by the brazen pointlessness of Bachmann's bill. "It's unnecessary, it's redundant, it's duplicative," said Assistant Senate Majority Leader Ann Rest.
The episode was classic Bachmann, whose political strategy throughout her career has mostly revolved around having her Little House on the Never-Existed Fundamentalist Prairie sensibilities rocked by something she has read (or misread) in the news, then immediately proposing a horseshit, total-waste-of-*everybody's-time legislative action in response.
Bachmann's anti-gay crusade in Minnesota was born of similar stuff. Right from the start, she made sure that everyone knew the awesome importance of the task she was taking on, trying to outlaw an already outlawed practice. ... She described the gay lifestyle as "bondage" and "personal enslavement," even claiming that suicide among gay teens is due not to discrimination but to "the fact of what they're doing."
That same year tensions between Bachmann and some gay activists grew heated during a town-hall meeting she attended. Depending on whom you believe — and by that I mean which of Bachmann's own competing versions of the story you believe — Bachmann either left the meeting to avoid the activists, or excused herself to "use the restroom" only to be "held against her will" there by what may or may not have been a pair of angry lesbians. She reported the incident to the Washington County sheriff: "Sen. Bachman [sic] stated that when she was trying to leave, 2 women blocked her in and told her they wanted to continue talking. Sen. Bachman stated she was afraid and screamed for help. The 2 women let her leave the restroom when she screamed."
Images of Michele Bachmann squatting behind a bush or hiding from lesbians in a bathroom would seem to be punch lines of funny stories, but they are not. The real punch line is that rather than destroying her politically, these incidents helped propel her into Congress.
... In her runs for Congress, Bachmann discovered — or perhaps it is more accurate to say we all discovered — that a total absence of legislative accomplishment and a complete inability to tell the truth or even to identify objective reality are no longer hindrances to higher office.
she has recast her biography in ever more grandiose directions. A great example is the issue of her "28 children." Bachmann has five kids and, something even her most withering critic should acknowledge, has cared for 23 foster kids. But in 2008 — 10 years AFTER any of her foster children had been in her home — Bachmann was talking as though she was still dashing home from Congress to cook for them. "Every weekend now when I go home, I will go to the grocery store, I'll buy food for the family," she said. "We have five kids and 23 foster kids that we raise. So I go to the grocery store and buy a lot of food."
It is difficult to tell whether this sort of thing is delusion, artifice or both. "I think Michele honestly believes whatever she says in the moment," says Cecconi.
She blasted the 2010 census as a government plot and told people not to comply because the U.S. Constitution doesn't require citizens to participate, when in fact it does.
Here's the difference between Bachmann and Palin: While Palin is clearly bored by the dreary, laborious aspects of campaigning and seems far more interested in gobbling up the ancillary benefits of reality-show celebrity, Bachmann is ruthlessly goal-oriented, a relentless worker who has the attention span to stay on message at all times. With a little imagination, you can even see a clear path for her to the nomination. Though she outraged Des Moines Republicans by blowing off a party dinner in late May, she had already visited the state four times this year and scored key endorsements there.
Even other Republicans, it seems, are making the mistake of laughing at Bachmann. But consider this possibility: She wins Iowa, then swallows the Tea Party and Christian vote whole for the next 30 or 40 primaries while Romney and Pawlenty battle fiercely over who is the more "viable" boring-white-guy candidate. Then Wall Street blows up again — and it's Barack Obama and a soaring unemployment rate versus a white, God-fearing mother of 28 from the heartland.
It could happen. Michele Bachmann has found the flaw in the American Death Star. She is a television camera's dream, a threat to do or say something insane at any time, the ultimate reality-show protagonist. She has brilliantly piloted a media system that is incapable of averting its eyes from a story, riding that attention to an easy conquest of an overeducated cultural elite from both parties that is far too full of itself to understand the price of its contemptuous laughter. All of those people out there aren't voting for Michele Bachmann. They're voting against us. And to them, it turns out, we suck enough to make anyone a contender.

Full article here: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/michele-bachmanns-holy-war-20110622

Collection of videos with ridiculous quotes: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/photos/michele-bachmanns-craziest-moments-20110616

sailingaway
06-22-2011, 03:53 PM
I will finish reading that, but I do want to agree that that author is hardly a persuasive personality to GOP voters, and I'm glad of it given the tripe he put out on Rand. As an immediate clarification of the above, I want to point out that while MB started law school at the kind of school advertised on matchbook covers, as I understand it, she ended up, per reports, at Williams and Mary, which is NOT that kind of school. So use this guy's stuff with care.

tangent4ronpaul
06-22-2011, 03:59 PM
First of all, I know this is not the right forum for it, but...

Yeah - that's all we need to read. Shut the fuck up! - This isn't the bash other candidates free for all. OK?

Sure we work against opposition candidates, but from your start, - sorry not going there...

She is one of the few I woud consider voting for if Paul does not win the nomination. OK, maybe the only one.

Please go away with this BS! and candidate bashing.

-t

LibertyEagle
06-22-2011, 04:00 PM
I owe you +rep, tangent.

sailingaway
06-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Edit, on the other hand, I heard the bathroom scene ended up being one lesbian and one ex-nun who approached her to ask her questions while she was washing her hands and the quote I saw from what purported to be a police report saying they released the two women essentially said 'it was clear the two women had only approached the Congresswoman to ask further questions regarding discussions at the event' or words to that effect.

The problem about gleaning facts from authors who hate the subject is that you don't know what to believe, unfortunately.

LibertyEagle
06-22-2011, 04:03 PM
swissaustrian, do you realize that a great many of the Republicans that we need to vote for Ron Paul ARE CHRISTIANS????

Do you understand that the campaign and Dr. Paul have spent time with these folks? What you are doing is attempting to destroy all their hard work.

Please stop it.

THE FIRST RULE OF THE GRASSROOTS MUST BE TO DO NO HARM!!!!!

swissaustrian
06-22-2011, 04:09 PM
swissaustrian, do you realize that a great many of the Republicans that we need to vote for Ron Paul ARE CHRISTIANS????

Do you understand that the campaign and Dr. Paul have spent time with these folks? What you are doing is attempting to destroy all their hard work.

Please stop it.

This is not about Christians (a group of people, which by the way i´m part of), this is about an individual pathologicaly lying for her own political opportunities.
I said in the intial post: we should use the information, not the article.

Todd
06-22-2011, 04:51 PM
This is not about Christians (a group of people, which by the way i´m part of), this is about an individual pathologicaly lying for her own political opportunities.
I said in the intial post: we should use the information, not the article.

uh....Matt Taibbi does that all the time.

Thomas
06-22-2011, 05:24 PM
LMAO if you trust Matt Taibbi and want to use him in the Republican Primary

Danke
06-25-2011, 09:25 AM
Rolling Stone draws fire for attribution SNAFUs in Michele Bachmann profile
By Joe Pompeo & Dylan Stableford Fri Jun 24, 3:05 pm ET

It's been a few months since we've had ourselves a good-old plagiarism incident to get riled up about. But thanks to Rolling Stone, our sleepy summer Friday just got a bit more scandalous!

The magazine is taking some heat today for lifting quotes in Matt Taibbi's hit piece on Minnesota's 2012 Tea Party hopeful Michele Bachmann.

In the story, posted online Wednesday, Taibbi borrows heavily from a 2006 profile of Bachmann by G.R. Anderson, a former Minneapolis City Pages reporter who now teaches journalism at the University of Minnesota. The thin sourcing, as Abe Sauer argues over at The Awl, is part of a "parade of uncredited use of material" from local blogs and reporters who "have dogged Bachmann for years now."

But the larger issue for journalism's ethical watchdogs concerns the several unattributed quotes Sauer spotted in Taibbi's piece, which Rolling Stone executive editor Eric Bates explained away by saying he'd cut out the attributions due to "space concerns" and that he would "get some links included in the story online."

At least one plagiarism "expert" doesn't buy Bates' logic.

"Attribution is the last thing an editor should cut!!!!" Jack Shafer, who is known to grill copy-stealers in his media column for Slate (and who used to edit two alt-weeklies similar to City Pages), told The Cutline via email. "How big was the art hole on that piece? Huge, I'll bet."

Shafer added: "If an editor deletes attribution, can the writer be called a plagiarist? I don't think so. Is that what happened? If Taibbi approved the deletions, it's another question."

We emailed Taibbi, who is no stranger to press controversies, with a request for comment and will update this if we hear back.

UPDATE 4 p.m. "I did in fact refer to the City Pages piece in the draft I submitted," Taibbi told The Cutline. "I did not see that those attributions had been removed. I grew up in alternative newspapers and have been in the position the City Pages reporter is in, so I'm sympathetic. They did good work in that piece and deserve to be credited. But you should know also that this isn't plagiarism--it's not even an allegation of plagiarism. It's an attribution issue."

In the meantime, Anderson is giving Rolling Stone the benefit of the doubt, although he didn't let them off the hook entirely.

"I would not consider what the Rolling Stone [piece] contained in it to be plagiarism," Anderson told City Pages. "What I will say, as a graduate of the Columbia J-School, and an adjunct at the University of Minnesota J-School, I do know that if a student handed in a story with that particular lack of sourcing, not only would I give it an 'F,' I would probably put that student on academic fraud."

You can check out a side-by-side comparison of the two Bachmann profiles over at The Awl.

UPDATE 8 p.m. A representative of Rolling Stone took issue with the characterization of the dispute as involving "plagiarism" in this post's original headline, noting that the author of the City Pages Bachmann profile didn't use the term, so the headline has since been modified.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thecutline/20110624/ts_yblog_thecutline/rolling-stone-caught-in-potential-plagiarism-flap-over-michele-bachmann-profile

LukeO
06-25-2011, 09:42 AM
I have a theory that she is there to split the tea party vote in Sarah Palin's absence so Ron Paul's numbers are lower.

Romulus
06-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Tabbi is a complete joke, and will attack us too when the time is right. He's a far left progressive liberal, and a partisan shill.

PaulConventionWV
06-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Tabbi is a complete joke, and will attack us too when the time is right. He's a far left progressive liberal, and a partisan shill.

Makes sense, considering that article was written primary for liberals. This doesn't seem to be all that useful. People are just going to look at you crazy if you tell them she's a pathological liar and a religious zealot, which I believe our last several presidents were, as well.

pipewerKz
06-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Regardless of this article she still voted to extend the PATRIOT act and the fact that anyone of Ron Paul's supporters would actually think of voting for her is appalling.

KurtBoyer25L
06-25-2011, 11:39 AM
A prudish religious woman held in a bathroom by two lesbians. I have a movie that starts like....wait, not the right forum for this either. :-)

Paul Or Nothing II
06-25-2011, 12:09 PM
Regardless of this article she still voted to extend the PATRIOT act and the fact that anyone of Ron Paul's supporters would actually think of voting for her is appalling.

+1

IndianaPolitico
06-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Come on guys, do you actually think that spreading this around is going to get more votes? The hate I see on these forums some times is appalling. Ron is respectful and friendly, and I think we as his supporters should be the same.

Johncjackson
06-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Honestly, when I read the "bad parts" in bold, it reminded me of many Ron Paul supporters and associates. Not to mention a good chunk of the GOP primary voters. Personally, I disagree with those views, but I see the nature of politics and the importance of coalitions around common values ( like atheists and Fundamentalists coming together to support RP).

I like sticking to issues ( like the Patriot Act, as mentioned) where Ron Paul stands alone above the crowd.

It seems like these things always turn into a "liberal" or Christian bashing deal where the posters here are basically personally attacking each other ( large parts of RP base is Christian and/or liberal).

angelatc
06-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Honestly, when I read the "bad parts" in bold, it reminded me of many Ron Paul supporters and associates. Not to mention a good chunk of the GOP primary voters. Personally, I disagree with those views, but I see the nature of politics and the importance of coalitions around common values ( like atheists and Fundamentalists coming together to support RP).

I like sticking to issues ( like the Patriot Act, as mentioned) where Ron Paul stands alone above the crowd.

It seems like these things always turn into a "liberal" or Christian bashing deal where the posters here are basically personally attacking each other ( large parts of RP base is Christian and/or liberal).

I like sticking to issues too. But there's no way we'll ever win if we refuse to vote for anybody who disagrees with us on anything. The Patriot Act sucks, but there's no way we have the votes in Congress to repeal it anyway.

LibertyEagle
06-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Come on guys, do you actually think that spreading this around is going to get more votes? The hate I see on these forums some times is appalling. Ron is respectful and friendly, and I think we as his supporters should be the same.

/thread winner

parocks
06-27-2011, 10:02 PM
About Law School. No, you're not quite right. She apparently took 8 years to finish up a 3 year law degree at a law school not as good as the one I went to. Then, after she graduated from the CBN Law School, she got an advanced law degree in taxation at William and Mary. Typically that's a one year program, or classes are taken at night. Separate degrees entirely.

I will finish reading that, but I do want to agree that that author is hardly a persuasive personality to GOP voters, and I'm glad of it given the tripe he put out on Rand. As an immediate clarification of the above, I want to point out that while MB started law school at the kind of school advertised on matchbook covers, as I understand it, she ended up, per reports, at Williams and Mary, which is NOT that kind of school. So use this guy's stuff with care.

parocks
06-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Actually, spend some time on Free Republic. Don't talk about Ron Paul. Just tear down other candidates. Right now, supporters of tea party candidates do like it if you rip into establishment candidates. Currently, Bachmann supporters and Palin supporters are not happy with each other. But you can just watch what's happening there, without getting involved.

The official campaign does do the best job of properly marketing the candidate. The official campaign, who should not be tearing down other candidates, would certainly benefit from other candidates being torn down. The campaign can't do that. How about the grassroots for that?

jbuttell
06-27-2011, 11:27 PM
The Patriot Act sucks, but there's no way we have the votes in Congress to repeal it anyway.

Perhaps, but if she folded on the Patriot Act, imagine what other bills she'd be willing to sign. And you make it sound as if that's the only bad vote she's made.

scrosnoe
06-28-2011, 12:46 AM
Yeah - that's all we need to read. Shut [deleted by commenter] up! - This isn't the bash other candidates free for all. OK?

Sure we work against opposition candidates, but from your start, - sorry not going there...

She is one of the few I woud consider voting for if Paul does not win the nomination. OK, maybe the only one.

Please go away with this BS! and candidate bashing.

-t

agree with the sentiment but turned off by your language, would carry a lot more weight if you would clean it up a bit!

scrosnoe
06-28-2011, 12:50 AM

Please stop it.

ditto!

swissaustrian
06-28-2011, 05:24 AM
agree with the sentiment but turned off by your language, would carry a lot more weight if you would clean it up a bit!
I posted something controversial and some here at RPF didn´t like it.
But as long as people start to question Bachmann´s intentions, i think it´s worth taking the heat. This kind of "behavior" always happens in web forums, especially when a lot of young men communicate. I don´t take it personally.
I see this reaction from the perspective that some here didn´t really know her and therefore had some sympathies for her, because she sounds a little bit like Ron. Then they felt offended to hear stuff about her they didn´t expect. Additionally, the fact that it was written by Taibbi offended them, because they don´t like him. So far nobody has proven one fact that was posted in taibbi´s piece wrong. The only thing questionable was his method, i.e. copy paste.
As i mentioned above: This discussion should be about the facts in the article, exposing Bachmann as a compulsive liar.