PDA

View Full Version : Nielsen Blip Tonight?

cjhowe
10-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Last night Leno pulled a 3.9/10 with Russel Crowe, Jenna Bush and Carrie Underwood.*
Last week Leno pulled a 4.0/10 with Hugh Laurie, Sherri Shepard and musical guest Editors (Rerun originally airing 9/21)

What will Ron Paul, Tom Cruise and The Sex Pistols pull down tonight? (first number means percent of households watching this show, second number is percent of households watching tv during this block)

* Letterman had Jerry Seinfeld and Joe Torre last night

Edit: Source: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/ratings.aspx?id=tuesday

TechnoGuyRob
10-30-2007, 02:17 PM
Why, 100/100! :D

werdd
10-30-2007, 02:17 PM
does it help if i turn every tv in house to the leno show? lol

Karsten
10-30-2007, 02:19 PM
No, but blast it really loud so the neighbors can hear.

hopeforamerica
10-30-2007, 02:19 PM
We never watch tv in my house, but will be tuned in tonight ;)

margomaps
10-30-2007, 02:21 PM
We never watch tv in my house, but will be tuned in tonight ;)

Ditto. Well, substitute 'very rarely' for 'never'. TV sucks. :cool:

cjhowe
10-30-2007, 02:24 PM
If there is a noticeable deviation in numbers, I think we can point to this along with poll results to battle the lame "he can't win" line.

UtahApocalypse
10-30-2007, 02:25 PM
We need to find some "Neilson Family" supporters that can constantly be scheduled to watch anything with RP in it

ronpaulyourmom
10-30-2007, 02:25 PM
Last night Leno pulled a 3.9/10 with Russel Crowe, Jenna Bush and Carrie Underwood.*
Last week Leno pulled a 4.0/10 with Hugh Laurie, Sherri Shepard and musical guest Editors (Rerun originally airing 9/21)

What will Ron Paul, Tom Cruise and The Sex Pistols pull down tonight? (first number means percent of households watching this show, second number is percent of households watching tv during this block)

* Letterman had Jerry Seinfeld and Joe Torre last night

Can you provide the source link for the Neilson numbers? Thanks.

fletcher
10-30-2007, 02:26 PM
Here is how ratings are measured:

Measuring ratings

Nielsen Television Ratings are gathered by one of two ways; by extensive use of surveys, where viewers of various demographics are asked to keep a written record (called a diary) of the television programming they watch throughout the day and evening, or by the use of Set Meters, which are small devices connected to every television in selected homes. These devices gather the viewing habits of the home and transmit the information nightly to Nielsen through a "Home Unit" connected to a phone line. Set Meter information allows market researchers to study television viewing habits on a minute to minute basis, seeing the exact moment viewers change channels or turn off their TV. In addition to this technology, the implementation of individual viewer reporting devices (called People meters) allow the company to separate household viewing information into various demographic groups. In 2005, Nielsen began measuring the usage of digital video recordings (TiVo, for example) and initial results indicate that time-shifted viewing will have a significant impact on television ratings. The networks are not yet figuring these new results into their ad rates at the resistance of advertisers.[1]

hopeforamerica
10-30-2007, 02:27 PM
Ditto. Well, substitute 'very rarely' for 'never'. TV sucks. :cool:

I knew Ron Paul supporters were smart!

Lucille
10-30-2007, 02:40 PM
Speaking of Nielsen, they have a new site up called Hey! Nielsen. RonPaul2008 is currently listed in the Featured Internet section. It (or he) currently ranks #260 out of 2929 internet sites.

http://www.heynielsen.com/view/ron-paul-2008/

Great forum you've got here!

Elwar
10-30-2007, 02:41 PM
I was a "Nielson family" one time.

I was actually busy that week, on a business trip but I tried to put in as many pro-libertarian shows as I could think of. Mainly the Drew Carey show and a few others that week.

A Nielson page of pro-liberty shows would have helped. :)

Danny Molina
10-30-2007, 02:48 PM
I knew Ron Paul supporters were smart!

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I have the TV on MSNBC all the time just to see if there is something about Dr. Paul coming on.

margomaps
10-30-2007, 11:45 PM
I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I have the TV on MSNBC all the time just to see if there is something about Dr. Paul coming on.

I have stronger magic: youtube. Sure, I might have to wait 15 minutes before the video appears, but I don't have to suffer through the commercials and other garbage on the tube. And while I'm waiting, I can just come here to get play-by-play analysis from the TV junkies posting on the forums. :D

Isupportliberty
10-30-2007, 11:48 PM
Speaking of Nielsen, they have a new site up called Hey! Nielsen. RonPaul2008 is currently listed in the Featured Internet section. It (or he) currently ranks #260 out of 2929 internet sites.

http://www.heynielsen.com/view/ron-paul-2008/

Great forum you've got here!

Hey Lucille, welcome to the forums!

dircha
10-30-2007, 11:51 PM

Can you translate this into numbers for us? Is this percentage of households in the U.S> or percentage of households with televisions?

Thanks,

margomaps
10-30-2007, 11:51 PM
Did anybody look carefully at that 'heyneilson' site? I'm wondering if we can use it to our advantage...

moonbat
10-30-2007, 11:57 PM
Did anybody look carefully at that 'heyneilson' site? I'm wondering if we can use it to our advantage...

I don't see why not. This is from their FAQ:

What is the Hey! Nielsen score?
The Hey! Nielsen score is a real-time indicator of a topic's impact and value and you play a major role. As the site evolves and users submit their opinions and commentary, the score will rise or fall based on a number of factors including, but not limited to, user opinions, news coverage, and raw data from our sister sites Billboard.com, HollywoodReporter.com, and BlogPulse.com.

Seems to be like a Digg.com with some additional factors involved for ratings.

Probably worth a try... ;)

Matt Collins
10-31-2007, 12:01 AM
Ratings are "overrated" (sorry for the pun).... it's true IMO.

Roxi
10-31-2007, 12:32 AM
well we held a HUGE watch ron paul on leno tonight and several other signs on a VERY busy street corner tonight... we estimated 100 cars per minute... i wonder how many of those people watched him?