PDA

View Full Version : Salon: Why the GOP should nominate Barack Obama in 2012

sailingaway
06-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Subtitle:

A modest proposal stemming from the president's apparent rejection of his own party's liberal tradition

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2011/06/21/lind_obama_republican/

flightlesskiwi
06-21-2011, 10:10 PM
they's just pissed that obie is making a mockery of their support. it's amusing to watch, yet maddening at the same time.

on a side note: guess whose picture wasn't featured in the list of GOP hopefuls in that little piece...

sailingaway
06-21-2011, 10:19 PM
they's just pissed that obie is making a mockery of their support. it's amusing to watch, yet maddening at the same time.

on a side note: guess whose picture wasn't featured in the list of GOP hopefuls in that little piece...

That's because he's the one Obama DOESN'T fit right in with....

flightlesskiwi
06-22-2011, 08:55 AM
That's because he's the one Obama DOESN'T fit right in with....

i do realize that. i just wonder if the writer of the linked article would EVER admit that in a positive, "RP is not a kook" way.

jonhowe
06-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Well, remember that Ron Paul and the Republican field is "to the left" of Obama on foreign policy (according to Senator Graham), so it only makes sense!

Seriously though, this just shows the flaws inherent in the two party system. If someone doesn't agree with one party, people say they "may as well be" the other. The opposite of a democrat's position is NOT, necessarily, a republican or conservative one.

Ugh.

(Shameless blog plug on the issue.) (http://badargument.blogspot.com/)

flightlesskiwi
06-22-2011, 09:58 AM
Well, remember that Ron Paul and the Republican field is "to the left" of Obama on foreign policy (according to Senator Graham), so it only makes sense!

Seriously though, this just shows the flaws inherent in the two party system. If someone doesn't agree with one party, people say they "may as well be" the other. The opposite of a democrat's position is NOT, necessarily, a republican or conservative one.

Ugh.

(Shameless blog plug on the issue.) (http://badargument.blogspot.com/)

i would second the "two party system flaw" argument only if you second my idea that this "flaw" came about due to lack of interest, diligence, fact gathering, rationale, and logical thinking skills on the part of the american public at large.

i also +2 "Ugh."

nice blog post, btw.

jonhowe
06-22-2011, 10:11 AM
i would second the "two party system flaw" argument only if you second my idea that this "flaw" came about due to lack of interest, diligence, fact gathering, rationale, and logical thinking skills on the part of the american public at large.

Lack of interest, diligence, fact gathering, rationale, and logical thinking? HERE? In AMERICA?

You don't like America, you must be a commie liberal!

So yes, I second your statement.

And thanks! I'm new to blogging, but it's an enjoyable way to talk politics since my girlfriend, housemates, and coworkers don't want to.

flightlesskiwi
06-22-2011, 10:36 AM
And thanks! I'm new to blogging, but it's an enjoyable way to talk politics since my girlfriend, housemates, and coworkers don't want to.

try being a stay at home mom with two small children and a husband in the military. you can IMAGINE what most people i know want to talk about. (hint: kids and military life with the occasional "i miss W. obama sucks" sentiment sprinkled in)

i can really empathize with you...

sailingaway
06-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Lack of interest, diligence, fact gathering, rationale, and logical thinking? HERE? In AMERICA?

You don't like America, you must be a commie liberal!

So yes, I second your statement.

People who read a paper cover to cover and watch the evening news used to think they were informed and keeping up with things. (I did.) Those who ONLY do that, still think that. The internet has only existed since the late nineties in any real sense. Generations grew up before then.

flightlesskiwi
06-22-2011, 11:07 AM
People who read a paper cover to cover and watch the evening news used to think they were informed and keeping up with things. (I did.) Those who ONLY do that, still think that. The internet has only existed since the late nineties in any real sense. Generations grew up before then.

agree. that's why, i think, Ron mentions "young people" carrying the message of liberty forth.

and, just like in religion, trying to talk to people who already think they are well informed and thus have all the answers (misinformed traditionalists) seems the hardest of all to "debate". talking to people who know they aren't well informed (the self-expressed ignorant) are the most open to new ideals, in my experience.

jonhowe
06-22-2011, 11:15 AM
try being a stay at home mom with two small children and a husband in the military. you can IMAGINE what most people i know want to talk about. (hint: kids and military life with the occasional "i miss W. obama sucks" sentiment sprinkled in)

i can really empathize with you...

Dear God...