PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Romney Skipping July 10 Debate in Las Vegas

tsai3904
06-21-2011, 03:32 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0611/57467.html

Mitt Romney will skip a debate next month in Las Vegas sponsored by the Daily Caller and American's for Tax Reform, POLITICO has learned.

While it will be held in a state Romney hopes to perform well in, the Nevada debate is not being carried by any national television outlet.

The move reflects the frontrunner's attempt to limit his exposure to opponents who almost certainly won't be as gentle with Romney as they were at the New Hampshire debate earlier this month.

But Romney is hardly evading joint forums. He'll participate in six of them between now and the end of October.

sailingaway
06-21-2011, 03:36 PM
A lot may be. Only Gary Johnson has RSVPd to go. The organizers were getting frantic, it sounded like.

muzzled dogg
06-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Hope it's on tv

Rocket80
06-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Only Gary Johnson has RSVPd to go.

Good to know - I was considering getting tickets to go to this but if it's not even a real, national debate, and if it especially doesn't have RP, then I basically have no interest.

muzzled dogg
06-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Wiki has rp committed to be there

sailingaway
06-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Wiki has rp committed to be there

He may have. I know he was asked, but recently I saw an article saying that while all had been asked, only Gary Johnson had committed. That was a week ago, and Ron may have committed by now, but I haven't seen anything on it.

tsai3904
06-21-2011, 03:49 PM
The CEO of Citizen Outreach, one of the organizers of the debate, said in his blog that the debate will be nationally televised so its odd that Romney's camp is saying that the debate will not be nationally televised.

http://www.muthstruths.com/2011/06/16/the-conservatives-are-coming/

The conference will conclude with a bang on Sunday night with a nationally televised debate between the Republican presidential candidates. The debate will be moderated by Tucker Carlson of The Daily Caller and Grover Norquist. Over 200 bloggers, reporters and columnists are expected to attend and cover the debate.

All of the leading GOP candidates have been invited – including recently announced candidate Jon Huntsman who was not yet a candidate for the recent New Hampshire debate, and former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson who was not invited to the New Hampshire debate. Most, if not all, are expected to participate.

pcosmar
06-21-2011, 03:52 PM
What if they held a debate and no one came?

sailingaway
06-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Good to know - I was considering getting tickets to go to this but if it's not even a real, national debate, and if it especially doesn't have RP, then I basically have no interest.

You might want to pm Debbie Hopper and ask if he's going. I'd hate to have people hold off getting tickets. He needs support, and if shem saw in wiki that he committed he likely has. Maybe she'll read this.

Note from this that there are TWO Nevada debates, though. This one is by the Daily Caller, which has been pushing Johnson, so his being there is no surprise. The other one is by CNN.

tsai3904
06-21-2011, 03:54 PM

Ron Paul will most likely be there. There's no reason why he would skip a debate. Gary Johnson was the only one to publicly say he's committed because he was snubbed for the NH debate.

Citizen Outreach is giving away two free tickets to the debate to people who "like" their Facebook page here (http://www.facebook.com/CitizenOutreach?sk=wall&filter=1) and ask a question for the candidates. If they select your question to ask the candidates, you will win a free ticket. The last day to enter is June 24. Not many people have asked questions so you would have a good chance at winning.

thehungarian
06-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Grover Norquist as a moderator makes me smile.

XTreat
06-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Tucker is friendly to RP, he should take the opportunity for positive exposure.

dannno
06-21-2011, 04:24 PM

Ron Paul could give a speech :)

sailingaway
06-21-2011, 05:06 PM
Tucker is friendly to RP, he should take the opportunity for positive exposure.

No, Tucker brought in prostitutes to a press conference Ron was having to have them endorse Ron during the last presidential election, as an 'attention getter'. Tucker's Daily Caller is trashing Ron whenever it compares him to Gary. I trust him with a candidate in the race, less. And I LIKED him.

I'm not opining whether Ron should or should not go, but that certainly wouldn't be the reason. I'd expect 'subtle' hits on 'legalizing drugs', rather than leaving it to the states, as the Constitution does, etc that could pass as friendly if you didn't take into account election dynamics. I hope I'm wrong, but I base it on what I've seen so far.

Freedom 4 all
06-21-2011, 05:17 PM
Coward

FreedomProsperityPeace
06-21-2011, 05:26 PM
This is going to backfire on Mitt. Trying to duck and dodge to protect his front-runner status is going to piss people off.

LatinsforPaul
06-21-2011, 05:33 PM
This is going to backfire on Mitt. Trying to duck and dodge to protect his front-runner status is going to piss people off.

If Romney does not attend the debate. As of today, I am calling the state of Nevada a Ron Paul WIN in the primary. And even if Romney does attend it will be a close race between he and Dr. Paul.

trey4sports
06-21-2011, 05:37 PM
I hope its picked up by a major network. For all we know "nationally televised" could mean CSPAN....

tsai3904
06-21-2011, 05:45 PM
If Romney does not attend the debate. As of today, I am calling the state of Nevada a Ron Paul WIN in the primary. And even if Romney does attend it will be a close race between he and Dr. Paul.

Romney has committed to attending the other Las Vegas debate in October.

HOLLYWOOD
06-21-2011, 06:22 PM
CowardPOLITICO = 24/7 RomneyCare channel

When you don't attend, no one can zing you on all the disastrous policies you have conducted over the decades. Romney is probably still coming up with excuse on Massachusetts mandates/RomneyCare/BAIN Capital destruction of American jobs/businesses.

I'm sure the colluding MSM corporate media will oblige Romney with avoiding bringing him up in the debates, also to mix questions and push questions that have the candidates at each other. When you're a no show... the debates won't expose all your failed policies and you don't have to answer. Doing the late blooming John McCain move in the later months of the campaign with the assist of corporate media.

I'm still waiting to see Romney's $10 Million day hoard of cash and how much really made it to the finance department at end of quarter.

AGRP
06-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Thats funny.

This isn't the behavior one would expect from a "front runner" :rolleyes:

Kregisen
06-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Thats funny.

This isn't the behavior one would expect from a "front runner" :rolleyes:

Yes it is...if he goes into a debate he will be attacked by everyone and drop in polls even more than not attending at all.

lol i think you meant to say it's not the behavior one would expect from someone with 1% of the vote like Gary Johnson, but he's attending.

Aratus
06-21-2011, 07:02 PM
the public ultimately gains with gary johnson's arrival
on the heels of mitt romney's decision to be elsewhere.

PaulConventionWV
06-21-2011, 07:33 PM

Hell I would go and debate whoever wanted to debate me.

freshjiva
06-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Methinks there is a deeper reason for Romney deciding to skip this debate. Grover Norquist is not well loved by neoconservatives and Israel fanatics. Tucker Carlson, however, is a "beltway libertarian". I've been disappointed in him for a long time now. He's always on Hannity and O'Reilly but does little to educate our liberty principles. There has also been a LOT of anti-Paul garbage posted on his Daily Caller site.

Carlson is a total disappointment for the liberty movement.

Kords21
06-21-2011, 11:28 PM
So, skipping straw polls, debates, having a lot of stances similar to Obama/left and this is the Republican front-runner? It's turing out to be quite the understatment when Ron said in the debates 4 years ago "the party has lost its way". Mitt Romney and his "Front runner" status is the personification of that. Might make a good ad with a video of Romney with "Front runner" headlines and Ron's voiceover "The party has lost its way"

KingRobbStark
06-21-2011, 11:32 PM
What are the wolves going to eat if we don't have sheep?

Each other.

speciallyblend
06-22-2011, 01:27 AM
Methinks there is a deeper reason for Romney deciding to skip this debate. Grover Norquist is not well loved by neoconservatives and Israel fanatics. Tucker Carlson, however, is a "beltway libertarian". I've been disappointed in him for a long time now. He's always on Hannity and O'Reilly but does little to educate our liberty principles. There has also been a LOT of anti-Paul garbage posted on his Daily Caller site.

Carlson is a total disappointment for the liberty movement.

tucker is a joke!

Jake Ralston
06-22-2011, 02:02 AM
How about making a televised debate that is actually a debate. We don't need to hear each candidates opinion on talking points over and over again.

What we need is back and forth dialogue, where candidates are called out on the national stage and forced to defend prior voting records and flip floppings.

tsai3904
06-22-2011, 11:18 AM
Looks like the July 10 debate will not be televised nationally.

http://dailycaller.com/2011/06/22/herman-cain-bashes-mitt-romney-for-playing-%E2%80%98political-games%E2%80%99-with-daily-calleratryoutube-debate/

The debate is scheduled for July 10 in Las Vegas. YouTube will be carrying a live streaming video of it, as will The Daily Caller.

newyearsrevolution08
06-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Mittens is skipping due to a winnable strategy. Many so called "front runners" like how mccain did it last cycle, tend to come in LATER and get MASS coverage.

This shit works and has for many election cycles BUT hey lets see how it rolls. If people want their liberties back then they will vote Ron Paul, if they want to keep shit the way it is AND allow it to get worse then they can vote for ANYONE else up there.

Badger Paul
06-22-2011, 11:41 AM
"But Romney is hardly evading joint forums. He'll participate in six of them between now and the end of October. "

If he pulled of this debate he can pull out of the other one's too. When you're ahead in the polls, you can afford to be choosey. But just remember, the minute you show up is the minute you get from all the other candidates.